heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Rachel’s 4MM transition

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rachel’s 4MM transition

Post by Rachel August on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Thought I’d start a thread on my adventures into 4MM shoes – we’ll see how it goes. As many of you may or may not know - I’m a Saucony girl -

It’s been a good shoe for me and over the years I’ve owned these shoes in various different colors like purple, light green, orange, sea green, and many many variations of blue, including blue/green, light blue, green/blue, medium blue, plain blue, dark blue, turquoise, and electric blue……lots and lots of blue shoes!!!

Hey, color is important…

Anyway right before I found out about my little heart condition some people in my running group got on the “natural running” bandwagon. I even took part in some Good Form Running clinics (put on by my very favorite store Gazillion – I mean Gazelle) our gaits were video-taped and we all saw how terrible we ran in our beloved 8MM shoes.

After watching our sloppy and catastrophic gaits in horror, many in the group immediately tossed their heavily cushioned shoes in the trash and bought up Gazillion’s supply of Vibram’s five fingers…..which they proceeded to run in…. in the dead of winter…..through the snow – all the way into the following spring… on and around the debris left over by winter’s icy melt and subsequent potholed streets.

I declined….plus the five fingers didn’t come in a blue that I liked….

In the months that followed, many of my running friends suffered from injuries that sidelined them for weeks (they still swear to this day that those injuries had nothing to do with the shoes)….while I went in for that minor procedure (AKA – OHS) and got sidelined for a year (which I swear to you had nothing to do with the shoes either - LOL).

So…..now that I’m back running it’s finally my turn to play. As many of you already know I bought my first pair of 4MM to celebrate my second year OHS anniversary.

No, they are not Five Fingers… but they are PINK!!!

Oh.....BTW....they're Saucony Mirage 3's (if that's even important) lol! 

I’m determined to stay “injury free” which is another way of saying…...I’m a big baby – and I’m not afraid to own that title! Very Happy 

I like the shoes so far and I’ll post later on my first experiences

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Re: Rachel’s 4MM transition

Post by RoadKillBill on Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:18 pm

I felt so ignorant I couldn't stand it, so I researched shoe theory to find out WT* "4mm" shoes were. OMG the shoe fetishists get as excited about shoes as normal people do about bikes! Wink

I hope you love your 4mm's as much as the other kids do!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:13 pm

Billcobit wrote:I felt so ignorant I couldn't stand it, so I researched shoe theory to find out WT* "4mm" shoes were.  OMG the shoe fetishists get as excited about shoes as normal people do about bikes! Wink

I hope you love your 4mm's as much as the other kids do!
Well they're PINK Bill 👽 

We both forgot that whole girls and shoes thing... Guys just don't get it No

I do hope those 4 mm shoes continue to work well for you Rachel... We're all an experiment of one and all different but I do think there are a lot of good reasons for everyone to find their own most efficient and natural running gait.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Well….the good thing (according to my husband) is that the main equipment of running (AKA the shoes) are only a fraction of what a bike costs (at least that's what I tell him to calm him down when I buy running gear - of course we don't discuss how many times I've bought shoes)…..and c’mon – mine are PINK - you just can’t beat that!!!!

I just LOVE being a girl!!!  I love you I love you I love you 

Thanks for wishing me well with these - I need all the help I can get!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 pm

It's not the color so much...but the weight.

Those 'motion control' shoes are so massive..and for me, non-effectual in the injury prevention department. So I traded down to the lesser shoe..less material and slightly less $$$.

I got wrapped up in the 'heel strike vs mid-foot strike' whilst sidelined after my 'nip/tuck', tho I'd already bought my first pair of 4MM shoes...Saucony Kinvara 2's...I went with basic white with red soles. I was convinced that wearing a 'minimal' shoe would lead eventually to a more perfect gait.
I'm still waiting for that to happen as the wear patterns on my current shoes show a definite heel wear pattern.

I have a pair of zero's...but they are trail shoes and given my form...I 'slap' the road when I wear them..which I find very annoying. The shoe (Merrill) is not much more than a rugged slipper.
They do work well on the trails tho. A solid rock plate.
Trail running is very different than road running.

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:36 am

Marc, sounds like you and I are doing the same thing. I gave up on orthotics and motion control shoes several years ago and when to stability. I now am working on the more minimalist. I like Brook's shoes and have a couple pair. I can tell a difference but I still do quite a bit of heel striking.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:32 am

In as much as I'm never going to be 'elite' mo matter what AG I'm in...and wanting to be on the road/trail as opposed to recovering from injury, I look to improve..but not drastically change my form...The Go-Run Skechers I use seem to promote a mid foot strike...versus any other shoe I've worn... without loading up on 'hardware' built into the shoe....just a bit of a bump in the insole.

A light weight shoe that may promote improved form without undue stress.

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:25 pm

My son-in-law runs in those and likes them and he's a big guy. I'm a little wary about them since I'm flat footed and he has really high arches.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:40 am

Interesting! Although I don’t have a whole lot of experience yet with these shoes I have noticed the weight difference (my Saucony Omni’s are 10.9 oz and the Mirage 3’s are 7.5 oz)

Actually I was quite surprised when I first tried the Mirage - they just feel so much lighter compared to my other shoes!!!!

I don’t know yet if I’m even close to achieving a better running gait with the new shoes….or if like the two of you, maybe I’m still hitting the heel a lot.

However, I do know that these shoes are fast! Of course I don’t yet run long in them – but so far they’ve taken my time down by about a minute in consecutive miles.

The real question is…..do those Skechers come in PINK????

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:21 pm

After a few hundred miles the wear pattern should show if you're hitting your heels any less Rachel. Just compare them to your last shoes... You DO save your old shoes don't you?lol! 

Now that I've logged around 400 miles on my 0 drop shoes I see very little heel wear compared to my old 8mm shoes which show a lot of heel wear. In my case I think some of it was from heel striking during downhill running but the majority of the improvement seems to be simply getting the heel out of the way allowing a more fluid gait. I'm also seeing more wear now in the toe area plus my toes feel like they're getting stronger... Better toe off now? It sure seems like it.

BTW, I do have a pair of five fingers and they are great for walking but I don't dare run much in them. I still need a little cushioning. I mostly wear them when I'm around my brother... He's embarrassed to be seen with me and thinks they're stupid. Twisted Evil

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:44 pm

I have a pair of shoes I wear ONLY for races, not even for pre-race warmup. I don't know what number "drop" they might be. They're just light weight racing flats to me. My training shoes show significant heel wear after about 400 miles and I stop running in them after 500 miles. The racing flats, after 5 years and well over 100 races, which might total 400 miles, show no heel wear to speak of.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

let me know if you see an image with this message

Post by Gary E on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:52 pm

http://i70.servimg.com/u/f70/18/25/82/54/mid-fo19.jpg

I just wondered how these compare to your 4mm's'

I'm with Don on the light racing flats. I still have this pair from the mid 80's in my rotation (along with thirty more from the late 70's to early 90's) that have only a thin insole between me and the pavement. As I've "matured" I do wear socks nowdays however.

P.S. I think you have to "click" on the upper line to see the image, and I'm on the right in this old B&W (since I obviously don't look that fit...or young... any more).

Last edited by Gary E on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : trouble downloading image)
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:59 pm

[quote="Gary E"]http://i70.servimg.com/u/f70/18/25/82/54/mid-fo19.jpg
[img]http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=30&u=18258254[/img]
[/quote]

Those look like the old Addidas Adistar. I had a pair of those once too. Good racing flat and very light.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:32 am

Gary E wrote:http://i70.servimg.com/u/f70/18/25/82/54/mid-fo19.jpg

I'm with Don on the light racing flats. I still have this pair from the mid 80's in my rotation (along with thirty more from the late 70's to early 90's) that have only a thin insole between me and the pavement. As I've "matured" I do wear socks nowdays however.

P.S. I think you have to "click" on the upper line to see the image, and I'm on the right in this old B&W (since I obviously don't look that fit...or young... any more).
HI GARY!!!!

I'm glad you responded!!!!  I was thinking of you when I wrote the post - and when I bought the shoes!!! I could almost feel you rolling your eyes at me Rolling Eyes (in a good way)

I LOVE this picture! See, in my mind … those are the shoes that real runners wear.

I think this is the trend again - except WITH socks!!!

That and the option for the PINK/CITRON color combo is a huge plus

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:33 am

tutt wrote:After a few hundred miles the wear pattern should show if you're hitting your heels any less Rachel. Just compare them to your last shoes... You DO save your old shoes don't you?lol! 

THAT'S FUNNY!!! - Um.....let me check....yup - there they are!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum