heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Welcome Russwyd

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Welcome Russwyd

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:33 pm

I just saw that our old friend Russ from the UK joined the forum today... I'm glad you're here Russ, you've been a long time friend to us all.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Re: Welcome Russwyd

Post by russwyd on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks Dave, good to be here and nice to see some old friends on the list - some I've been hoping to catch up with again since the CA site forum is less frequented by many.

Just seen the Syracuse links too and the course looks nice - really wish I could have been there with you all but it looks impossible in terms of my work commitments (plus I've got two marathons the same week, but that's another story!).

Hope to get some news from my old friends here and thanks again for signing me up.

Russ
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Welcome Russ, we all migrated over here but still visit CA. Two marathons, gosh how do you find time to train?

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:45 pm

They are both 'training run' marathons, actually - I'm racing a road marathon two weeks beforehand, but mainly then training toward the Winter 100 mile race at the end of November. By then I will have run around 7 or 8 marathons and half a dozen or so ultras this year anyway - so far in 2013 I've done a couple of 50 milers, a 100 mile, 2 or 3 marathons and two 100km trail races, now a summer wind down a little with a couple of marathons then stepping up a bit toward the 100 miler.

So I guess it's less 'training' than maintaining fitness and keeping ticking over with a few long slow runs throughout the year. Once you're running those kinds of miles then it's easier to 'maintain' than to climb up through a marathon schedule or whatever.

That's my logic anyway!

Russ
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:10 pm

Your logic is insane.  Rolling Eyes 
trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:51 am

Hi Trish!

Well, you always knew that didn't you?

Russ Wink 
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:52 am

WOW Russ - two marathons in the same week....7 or 8 marathons...couple of ultras.... leading up to the .....winter 100 miler....you're still doing GREAT!!!!

So glad to hear from you and glad you're on the forum!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:27 am

Actually I'll own up Rachel - not the same week but the same day.

A few years back when I used to regularly run the Beachy Head trail marathon every year, one of the toughest and hilliest marathons in the country, I was offered a number for the Great South Run 10 mile race in Portsmouth the following morning. I'd given up running the GSR a few years earlier, but thought "why not?" and so started "The Double", with a few others joining me in subsequent years.

Last year, one of the regular guys was raising money for a local family with a severely disabled child, and he discovered that the Brighton Midnight Half Marathon, a muddy and hilly trail race with head torches, was to be run the same weekend. So, we now had "The Triple" - a tough trail marathon on Saturday morning, a tough trail half marathon with head torches the same night, then a 10 mile fast road race on Sunday morning.

Anyway, this year the midnight half isn't being run... so the guys have come up with an idea to run the Beachy Head Marathon on Saturday morning, drive part of the way back to Portsmouth and run the South Downs Marathon course at midnight (another extremely hilly trail race normally run in June, so we'll be doing it in October, in the dark), then the GSR on Sunday morning.

The 10 miler was tough last year after a hard marathon and half marathon in the previous 24 hours - though I was happy enough to run around 76 minutes. This year even that might be a little harder to achieve!
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:04 am

russwyd wrote:Actually I'll own up Rachel - not the same week but the same day.

Shocked WOW Shocked 

You're amazing Russ!!!

Can't wait to get the report on ALL your events!!  Have fun!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks Rachel,

Trish has lots of other words to describe me Smile 

Russ
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:57 am

Hi All,

Just back from running the Reykjavik Marathon, Iceland... a great weekend away with Sarah, some lovely trips to the geysers and whale watching.. and a decent enough run.

I went into it pretty flat and tired to be honest - struggled to run an 8 mile tempo section on a training run last week at 7:15 pace so I knew it wasn't going to be easy and I would have to be quite conservative with my pace.

I went through half way just outside 1:39 and finished in 3:19:53. Would have liked to have run 5 minutes quicker but I'm happy enough with that in the circumstances. Conditions were pretty good - wet, windy and cold, which suits me. This was my 9th marathon or ultra of 2013 so I guess I should be feeling it a bit!

Russ
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:41 pm

Congratulations on the finish and we'd all love a 3:19:53 time. You must be a regular machine with 9 marathons/ultras this year. Good for you.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:42 pm

Very nice Marathon Russ!! And it sounds like you had a great get away weekend too.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 am

You are a machine Russ!

Nice run!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks guys,

So far this year I've run:

Two 45 mile trail races

One 33 mile trail race

One 105 mile trail race

Two 100km trail races

One 16 mile cross country race

Three road marathons

Plus I've helped out as buddy on two 40-50 mile stretches of other ultra races to run with team mates, and my 'regular' training on top.

Next up an easyish month then the Jersey Marathon in October, possibly the Round Rotherham 50 mile trail race two weeks later, then the 'triple' weekend for fun and charity where I'll be running the Beachy Head trail marathon on Saturday morning, another trail marathon at midnight on Saturday night, then the Great South Run 10 mile road race on Sunday morning.

Not sure whether to run a couple of my regular half marathons in November, leading up to the Winter 100 mile trail race at the end of the month. Then it'll just be the Portsmouth Coastal Trail Marathon in December before a week off and kick starting the New Year 2014 with the Country to Capital 45 mile trail race in January.

Fingers crossed!

Russ
russwyd

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum