heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

» Log In For Members Only Content
by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds



I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by kcy1998 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Fot the past week I have been visiting family in Michigan where it is FLAT & COOLER TEMPS. The local YMCA was sponsoring a 5k. I signed up and ran it this morning, It was a nice run. After finishing I went back to the family house and got ready for church. Later in the day I checked the official posting and discovered that I finished 1st in my age group! I finished 4 seconds before the 2nd place finisher in my age group. I remember passing him in the last half mile. The 3rd place finisher was 40 seconds behind me. There were 37 runners in my age group.
Amazing for a guy with a 5X CABG & ICD. Many of you have contributed to showing me that heart disease does not mean the end of an active lifestyle. Thanks for everything and I am looking forward to Syracuse.
kc

kcy1998

Posts : 83
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by Sumorunner on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:27 pm

Congratulations. I remember doing the same thing when I got 3rd place for the first time. I had run hundreds of races over 30+ years without ever winning a trophy, so I never bothered to stay for the awards. I only found out later when someone emailed me saying he had a plaque for me. I won several more that year including a couple firsts. I always stay for it now, even when I know I didn't place, just to cheer on the ones who did.

I've gotten quite a few more since, but I can't seem to appreciate them. While it's gratifying to win anything and a thrill to hear your name called, I always feel like I got away with something I didn't truly deserve.

_________________
Aortic Valve Replacement, St Jude Medical artificial valve, July 1991, Albany, NY
I have a new web site for my artwork. http://jackpaints.wix.com/jackberkeryart
avatar
Sumorunner

Posts : 237
Join date : 2013-04-25
Age : 69

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:45 am

kcy1998 wrote:Fot the past week I have been visiting family in Michigan where it is FLAT & COOLER TEMPS. The local YMCA was sponsoring a 5k. I signed up and ran it this morning, It was a nice run. After finishing I went back to the family house and got ready for church. Later in the day I checked the official posting and discovered that I finished 1st in my age group! I finished 4 seconds before the 2nd place finisher in my age group. I remember passing him in the last half mile. The 3rd place finisher was 40 seconds behind me. There were 37 runners in my age group.
Amazing for a guy with a 5X CABG & ICD.   Many of you have contributed to showing me that heart disease does not mean the end of an active lifestyle. Thanks for everything and I am looking forward to Syracuse.
kc

Hey, that's fantastic Kevin!! It IS amazing what a guy with a 5X CABG & ICD can do!


_________________
Dave
4X CABG Feb 17, 1999 at 46 years.
avatar
Dave Tuttle

Posts : 899
Join date : 2013-04-01
Location : Western New York State

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by kyoung on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:33 am

Great job Kevin!!

_________________
AVR 2007
CPVT, ICD 2012
Mitral Valve prolapse
avatar
kyoung

Posts : 65
Join date : 2013-05-07
Location : Illinois

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by Rachel August on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:06 am

Congratulations Kevin!!!!! That is SUPER cool!!!

You got that right about Michigan - flat and cool Very Happy (that’s why I like it – but it does put me at a disadvantage when I travel) …still you wouldn’t have beaten the others if you hadn’t put in all that work to get there… plus what are the odds that those other runners had a heart condition???

You just flat out rocked it!
cheers 

_________________
Rachel
OHS - July 15, 2011
Aortic Valve Replacement (Edwards 3300TFX) and Ascending Aortic Aneurysm Repair
avatar
Rachel August

Posts : 612
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by kodi30 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:53 am

Great job Kevin. Congrats on the ag win.

_________________
Aortic Valve Replacement  Oct 5, 2006
Arizona Heart Institute.
Boston Scientific Pacemaker K173DR Jan 2013
avatar
kodi30

Posts : 172
Join date : 2013-04-16
Age : 79
Location : Lake Havasu City, AZ

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by mikenall on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Congratulations Kevin! Are you taking I-90 back home? I'm planning on getting up to Michigan (Sleeping Bear Dunes) sometime next month, pending a cardiology appt. at the end of the month.

_________________
Mike
AMI/stent July 2000
Right carotid endarterectomy September 2010
Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
avatar
mikenall

Posts : 150
Join date : 2013-04-14
Age : 66
Location : Northeast Ohio

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by twal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Great work. First out of 37 is very impressive. What was your time? What age group? When I get first, it's usaully first out of 2 or 3.

_________________
Mitral valve repair
Afib, arrhythmia
2 catheter ablations
avatar
twal

Posts : 305
Join date : 2013-04-15
Age : 66
Location : Nanticoke, PA, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by echoguy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:04 pm

Way to run!!!! I hope that they will send you the award.

_________________
Aortic valve replacement
Bovine Tissue Valve
March 2010
Cleveland Clinic
avatar
echoguy

Posts : 285
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by kcy1998 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Sumorunner wrote:Congratulations. I remember doing the same thing when I got 3rd place for the first time. I had run hundreds of races over 30+ years without ever winning a trophy, so I never bothered to stay for the awards. I only found out later when someone emailed me saying he had a plaque for me. I won several more that year including a couple firsts. I always stay for it now, even when I know I didn't place, just to cheer on the ones who did.

I've gotten quite a few more since, but I can't seem to appreciate them. While it's gratifying to win anything and a thrill to hear your name called, I always feel like I got away with something I didn't truly deserve.

I know what you mean about not "...truly deserving" the award. I will accept the award. In the future I will probably hang around just out of curiosity.

kc

kcy1998

Posts : 83
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by kcy1998 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:01 pm

twal wrote:Great work. First out of 37 is very impressive. What was your time? What age group? When I get first, it's usaully first out of 2 or 3.

Age Group is 50-59
Time is 23:52

Not an impressive time but I will take it.

kc

kcy1998

Posts : 83
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by kcy1998 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Rachel August wrote:Congratulations Kevin!!!!! That is SUPER cool!!!

You got that right about Michigan - flat and cool Very Happy (that’s why I like it – but it does put me at a disadvantage when I travel) …still you wouldn’t have beaten the others if you hadn’t put in all that work to get there… plus what are the odds that those other runners had a heart condition???

You just flat out rocked it!
cheers 

Your right about Michigan being flat and cool! Not only did I win the age group but I probably set a new record for a guy with a 5X and ICD.

kc

kcy1998

Posts : 83
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by kcy1998 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:08 pm

echoguy wrote:Way to run!!!! I hope that they will send you the award.

I am going to give them a call tomorrow. If I can have a family member pick it up that will be nice. I really do want the award. It is probably my greatest running achievement. I can cross "Winning My 5K Age Group" off my bucket list. It is 20 years ahead of what I expected.
kc

kcy1998

Posts : 83
Join date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by RoadKillBill on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Well done, Kevin! Congrats!

_________________
Mitral valve repair 2002
Cleveland Clinic
avatar
RoadKillBill

Posts : 318
Join date : 2013-04-04

Back to top Go down

Re: I WON MY 5K AGE GROUP!!!

Post by marathonman60 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:30 am

Yeah Kevin!
Sometimes I'm the only one in my age group, so I get first. My family got wise and asked how many I beat. I beat everyone that didn't show up. Only 2 good things about getting old. Grandkids and less competition at the races!
Tom C

marathonman60

Posts : 85
Join date : 2013-04-29
Age : 68
Location : Detroit Michigan

http://www.tom'srunningtoday-blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum