heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Walk and Run

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Walk and Run

Post by Rachel August on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:00 am

Louise,

So glad you’re looking for another opinion – life is short…..

Also good to hear that you’re running again, even if it is with caution, beats not running IMO – if you can do it.

BTW – if I see hawks (not too many vultures up here) near my house then I know that it’s probably because my husband is cooking bacon outside again…. that or he’s finally made good on his threat to let one of our clawless cats outside Shocked 

Hope you had a great b-day!

Last edited by Rachel August on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:02 am

It's great to hear that you've been able to do some running again Louise and I hope that you can continue.

Good luck with that second opinion. I know I would go under the knife in order to keep running as long as they gave me reasonable odds for success.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Great to hear you're able to run some. I thought all my heart stuff would be what stopped me from running. Turns out my back was what stopped me in my tracks. Finally went under the knife to slice the ruptured disc. a bad hammy shut me down this summer but back to running.

Running might make back worst in long run but I'm gonna keep running as long as I can.

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Thank you all for your comments and support, only a true runner, no a true cardiac athlete and a runner, can understand why we do what we do.

Psst, I added my heart info in my sig line, new avatar pic too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:13 am

Nice picture Louise!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:43 pm

Yes, nice picture. Playboy magazine is going to call you to be the centerfold next month.

Your positive attitude to make th emost of your situation is great.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:34 pm

twal wrote:Playboy magazine is going to call you to be the centerfold next month.
lol!  yeah right, the sun shining on my forehead is a reflection from my 'halo' as my husband says. lol! 

Looking forward to meeting you in Syracuse Tom.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:41 am

My run this morning went well, we're supposed to get thunderstorms today, the sky looked like Rachel's pic for the Park 2 Park run.  80 degrees, 88% humidity.  I thought about Rachel running her half today, good motivation, pace 9:42, I thought I was running slow.  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:02 pm

Ah Hah!   I changed the title of my thread to "Walk and Run", a little OCD scratch was going on when it finally clicked, "Change your first post lady."

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Love the new pic, Louise! Very pretty!

And you should change the title...since you are now running again. Just be careful!!!

I am so happy for you being back at it again. Smile 

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:35 pm

LMRun wrote:My run this morning went well, we're supposed to get thunderstorms today, the sky looked like Rachel's pic for the Park 2 Park run.  80 degrees, 88% humidity.  I thought about Rachel running her half today, good motivation, pace 9:42, I thought I was running slow.  Smile
SUPER! Great run Louise!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:36 pm

LMRun wrote:My run this morning went well, pace 9:42, I thought I was running slow.  Smile
Great run Louise!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:45 pm

I haven't posted on this thread in a while, I'm being cautious.  I have an appointment next Wednesday with a Chiro who offers Active Release Therapy (I can't THANK Tom W enough) I have my hopes up that this is the key to my running pain free and avoiding surgery with my neck.  There are several docs available in Austin, the only problem is there are only 2 in my insurance network.  The one I chose is certified in Upper Extremity, Biomechanics, Lower Extremity, Spine, Active Palpation, Ironman Provider network (takes care of athletes), and Nerve Entrapment.  Sheesh, I may as well get adjusted head to toe. Razz 

I'm running pain free for the most part, I've added modified pushups, using the fence at the track or a wall, to stretch out my shoulder muscles after the run, they still count on the leaderboard on Log a Run. Wink Seems to be helping somewhat, not sure.  I am up to a 12 mile week, slow and steady progress.  

Work is crazy, clocks turn back this weekend, lose daylight for after work running.  I'll figure out something, there's always the Y and the dreadmill.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:34 am

That is good news Louise.... Glad you're back to running and good luck Wednesday. I hope the ART does the trick for you... That 15K in Cinci will be a good goal for you.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Glad you are feeling better, Louise. Looking forward to meeting you in Cinci!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:52 pm

This may be TMI so if it is, don't read.  I hope my posts may help someone else going through the same cervical spine issues as I and are looking for an alternative to surgery.  (Tom Walski, my hero)

I've been going to Dr. Myer here in Austin for my ART (Active Release Technique), it has helped me tremendously!  I go once a week.  There's a poster on his wall of the muscles that connect to your skull and how they run through your shoulders and upper back, a left and right view.  I told him the right view is me, that's where my pain originates at times.  When he does the release technique on my right side, my bicep muscle tightens to be uncomfortable, by the third one, the pain is gone and the bicep muscle doesn't tighten.  Last session, the left side released with a huge spasm, I asked if he felt that and he did.     

This doc has offered me no guarantees, his first words were "Your neck is what it is, we will try several things to see what works best and gives you the best relief."  He liked to hear that I was doing the modified pushups to strengthen and stretch the trapezius muscles.  I am very tight across my right scapular so we are working on both sides.  He will give me some more exercises to use for my neck.  My right arm still has issues but it will take a while for the nerve to settle down, I read one time that a nerve can take six months to heal.  1 mm a week.  After my last session, I had some muscle  fasciculation from my right shoulder into my bicep, some nerve pain with it but a couple advil and I was good to go.    

On a side note, my chest muscles had some spasm after my sessions, I could feel the nerves twitching along my collar bone.  I told the doc about this and I really believe that my OHS only added to my muscle issues.  That's ok though, I am on the right track to resolving some of these issues and as long as I can keep running, sheesh, I'm in good shape.

Now that I have Cincy to train for, I hope I can stay comfortable to meet that goal.  I ditched my orthotics.  My last pair of running shoes showed more wear on the outside heal then center as I have always had with motion control shoes.  My current running shoes feel good, my feet don't hurt and I don't feel like I'm running on the outside of my feet.  My left foot still has the bunion but it's holding up ok.  The next several weeks, I will make it a priority to run, even if just a 2 miler every other day (today I ran 3), I need to build up my endurance and gain strength.  

Thank you all for your support, if all goes well, look out Grand Rapids!! Very Happy

Last edited by LMRun on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:50 am

Thanks for the update! I give you so much credit for staying with those exercises - you're certainly doing whatever it takes to get back on track!!!

Glad to hear that you're still running throughout all this and I really look forward to seeing you in Cinci!!! -

What event are you doing there?

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:50 am

Rachel August wrote:What event are you doing there?
I registered for the 15K.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:44 pm

I'm glad to hear the ART has helped so much Louise... And hoping you have continued improvement.

The Heart Mini 15K should keep you (and all the rest of us who are running it) plenty motivated through the long winter!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Is anyone running the Half? Or is it just the 15K? I have not signed up but want to make sure that I am not running solo.
Looking for a lot of input.
kevin

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:45 am

kcy1998 wrote:Is anyone running the Half? Or is it just the 15K? I have not signed up but want to make sure that I am not running solo.
Looking for a lot of input.
kevin
Hi Kevin,

I'm doing the 15K as well - I'm not sure how many are running the half or 15 - I'm just doing what I did last year (it's a good distance for me that time of year) - but it is also my understanding that the 15k is the "signature" race at this event.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum