heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Walk and Run

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Walk and Run

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:00 pm

Glad to see a Walking area for me to log.....I walked 5 miles this morning, 10 minutes faster than when I walk with Karen on Sundays.  Temperature wasn't too bad, humid.  I'll be able to get in two days of walking a week for now.  It was a challenge not to try running but I behaved myself.  tongue 

Tutt, saw a Doe and her two babies this morning. Wink

I made contact with the Y, filled out the form for the Personal Trainer, wait for him to contact me to get set up.  I'll log my workouts on Log a Run too.  The only problem I have with Log a Run is they don't have a leaderboard for Walkers......

Last edited by LMRun on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Walk and Run

Post by kodi30 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:47 pm

LMRun wrote:Glad to see a Walking area for me to log.....I walked 5 miles this morning, 10 minutes faster than when I walk with Karen on Sundays.  Temperature wasn't too bad, humid.  I'll be able to get in two days of walking a week for now.  It was a challenge not to try running but I behaved myself.  tongue 

Tutt, saw a Doe and her two babies this morning. Wink

I made contact with the Y, filled out the form for the Personal Trainer, wait for him to contact me to get set up.  I'll log my workouts on Log a Run too.  The only problem I have with Log a Run is they don't have a leaderboard for Walkers......

You might try Daily Mile. I use it now and it has all different activities.
www.dailyrun.com. I'll even be friends with you. Smile
kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:23 am

Louise, I'm so glad to see you entering the first post in this topic. With your forced retirement from running I was worried that you might drift away but now I'm hoping you'll inspire some of our other walkers to stop by and post here too... The way that you've handled the recommendation to stop running is certainly an inspiration to me and I'm glad I'll be able to follow your journey forward!

Our original intent was to include as many kinds of exercise here on the forum as there was interest in and we can always add other catagories like biking or weights if anyone wants.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks for starting this thread Louise! I agree with Dave, you’re a huge inspiration the way you’re taking such good care of yourself; I think that’s the whole point!

I like to walk with my husband especially on Sundays, this morning we walked down to the Lake Michigan lighthouse and then back up the beach – 6.84 miles. I really like these walks, I see so much more than if I were running and my husband is great company.

So far we’ve been doing Sundays, but I’m thinking of picking up a few more days with him after work. It’s nice to know that you’re out there too!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:31 pm

Hey Louise,
My wife doesn't run but she can walk so fast I have to slow her down when I'm walking with her She's walked many 5k's. Maybe you two can do one together one of these days.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:33 pm

mikenall wrote:Hey Louise,
My wife doesn't run but she can walk so fast I have to slow her down when I'm walking with her  She's walked many 5k's.  Maybe you two can do one together one of these days.

Now that would be awesome to walk with the Mrs.  Very Happy  I walk faster than my husband, ran faster too sometimes.

I played phone tag with the trainer last night and today.  He was at the Y when I was working out.  When I got back to my car and checked my phone, I missed another call, I went back in, waited patiently for a brief moment between his trainee and introduced myself.  I think he was kind of surprised who I was because he sees me working out at the Y too.  I quickly told him I wanted someone to design a program for me, I have been advised not to run anymore because of my neck, and I told him I want a boot camp type workout that won't strain my neck.  So he called me after he finished his last training session and I am scheduled for my assessment tomorrow at 5:00 p.m.  

I logged my workout on LogaRun, hopefully I'll get back tomorrow by 5:30 and I can maybe get a walk in.  Things are moving along nicely. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Glad that your moving forward. Always keep moving.
kc

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Thank you all for your support and posts.  My assessment went well, J requested a release from the cardio before we start, chased that around for a couple of days, faxed yesterday afternoon so it's a go on Monday.  Work with J for 30 min on Mon and Wed, then ride the recumbent bike for another 30 minutes. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Dang it!  J called me today, he's leaving the Y, he has a job offer in another city and can't pass it up.  Sad 

I'm just going to push myself, I have to quit being lazy and start challenging myself.  I'm motivated, cheers   I watch other people working out, cheers  I can learn from that, cheers  I'm power walking two days a week with two days at the Y, 30 minutes of weights, 30 minutes of recumbent bike......bounce   

I love cookies, Trish, where are you to tell me to "Throw away that cookie!"  I'll never forget reading that on CA and busting out laughing.

Is this a random enough post???

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:59 am

Random is good....cookies are great ..... no, wait... I mean don't eat those cookies Louise....give them to me!!!!

Yeah, where is Trish????? Evidently we need some serious help here!

Oh - BTW L - nice post - stay motivated - sorry to hear that your Y guy is leaving.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:26 am

LMRun wrote:Dang it!  J called me today, he's leaving the Y, he has a job offer in another city and can't pass it up.  Sad 

I'm just going to push myself, I have to quit being lazy and start challenging myself.  I'm motivated, cheers   I watch other people working out, cheers  I can learn from that, cheers  I'm power walking two days a week with two days at the Y, 30 minutes of weights, 30 minutes of recumbent bike......bounce   

I love cookies, Trish, where are you to tell me to "Throw away that cookie!"  I'll never forget reading that on CA and busting out laughing.

Is this a random enough post???

Sorry your trainer is leaving before getting in any real work with you Louise... Will they replace him or her?

Keep at it, keep that positive attitude, and keep posting. It WILL all fall into place soon and meanwhile I'm sure all your friends here will crack the whip if necessary Twisted Evil

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:02 pm

WOW! Talk about ebb and flow. Can't run so you walk. Working out t the "Y" and decide to get a trainer. Trainer leaves for another city. Something tells me that you will do fine.
kc

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:09 am

It sounds as if nothing is going to stop you. I don't see much need for trainers. There is enough good advice in books and the internet to read for yourself.

I have to admit that while I try to eat right, I have a weakness for cookies too.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:18 am

We have a deer population problem, I saw 15 throughout my route this morning, at least 6 baby deer.  One little bambi tried to lay low in the grass just like her mommy taught her to, not realizing her cute little ears stood out like Mickey Mouse ears.  I'm taking my camera on my walk tomorrow and I'll email the pics, then if Tutt wants to load them here for you to see, if he doesn't mind, he can do that.

On to my workouts.  I must be doing something right because my appetite is picking up.  I'm eating a lot, trying to eat healthy, cutting back again on breads and pasta.  I still have that cookie though. Smile It has been in the 100s here with heat indexes of 106 this week so I'm hydrating too.  At 8:00 a.m. this morning, it was 78 with 82% humidity.  August will be the hottest month then it will start cooling off in September, maybe.  I did some searching for core exercises on the net and found some good ones with videos so that I can do them correctly.  Jillian Michaels: 6 Pack Abs Workout Level 1 looks like a good routine that I can mix in with what I am already doing.  The other link I found is here:  Best Ab Workouts for Women  Now I just have to remember which ones I like and how to do them when I am at the Y.

This weeks totals:
Exercise Bike: 14.62 mile
Exercise Bike Time: 01:19:55
Lunges: 170
Walk: 10.00 mile
Walk Time: 02:25:19
Weights: 400

I hope you all are having a good week, your training is going well, and you are healthy and happy.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm glad to hear it's falling into place for you Louise. It sounds like you're finding a lot of good exercise routines to take the place of running... Actually you're probably getting a better overall workout than most of us now. I think most runners including me expend so much energy on their running that they neglect the rest of their body.

I'll be happy to post your deer pictures, just e mail them to me, but don't hold it against me if I start taking about venison jerky and sausage recipes... They are a great source of lean organic protein and there's way too many of them here too... I hit 5 with my last truck, 2 with the current truck. Somehow they get real smart and disappear when deer season starts though .

Last edited by tutt on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:55 pm

Louise, where do you live? Your weather sounds like what we have in AZ and I'm getting real tired of it. My daughter-in-law works out with Jillian almost every day. Not sure what she does or the level. Personally I just completed my fourth session of TRX workouts and they have been tough. Kind of funny, I asked the trainer, who happens to own the gym, why most of the TRX clients are women and if they are so good, why not more men? His answer "They're hard". LOL!

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:41 pm

tutt wrote:you're probably getting a better overall workout than most of us now. I think most runners including me expend so much energy on their running that they neglect the rest of their body.

I'll be happy to post your deer pictures, just e mail them to me, but don't hold it against me if I start taking about venison jerky and sausage recipes... They are a great source of lean organic protein and there's way too many of them here too... I hit 5 with my last truck, 2 with the current truck. Somehow they get real smart and disappear when deer season starts though .

The trainer said that by working the large muscle groups I'll burn more calories and the large muscle groups will take care of the small ones.  He also said single joint exercises like bicep curls do not provide the same calorie burn.  

Watch, the deer won't be seen tomorrow.  My sister and her husband love deer meat, he and his brother bagged to big buck last year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:48 pm

kodi30 wrote:Louise, where do you live?  Your weather sounds like what we have in AZ and I'm getting real tired of it.  My daughter-in-law works out with Jillian almost every day.  Not sure what she does or the level.  Personally I just completed my fourth session of TRX workouts and they have been tough.  Kind of funny, I asked the trainer, who happens to own the gym, why most of the TRX clients are women and if they are so good, why not more men?  His answer "They're hard".  LOL!

I'm a yankee transplant to Texas.  The heat isn't bad, it's the humidity that makes it miserable.  My back yard is shade in the evening so we like to sit out on the porch, fan going, sipping wine. Smile  Those TRX workouts are tough.  A friend shared her P90X CDs with me, haven't used them once and that was a couple years ago. Maybe I'll pull those out and check them out. Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Louse, where are you transplanted from?

I am originally from Boston, and miss it alot.
Although I don't say that too often in the winter. Very Happy 
trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Oh... and it sounds like you are doing all kinds of
work-outs to make up for not running.

I hate watching videos. Borrowed the P90X from a friend once and got thru about 10 minutes of it. Packed it up and gave it back.
Just put me in a real gym and I am happy. Smile 

Good luck with your training! If we lived closer, I'd join you to lift some iron!!
trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:52 pm

Okay, I need to change the title of this thread.  Can the admin change it to CA Walker?  

This past week I was really tired, not sure if it was allergies or increasing my routine too quickly.  Hey, us walkers need to follow the same rules as runners, increase your routine no more than 10 - 20% a week.  The temps here in TX have been in the 100s with heat indexes between 104 to 108.  A heat advisory was issued last week.  This next week, it's back to business!  

So the slacker here did not go to the Y all week.  I interviewed for a new position last Monday, final round, I got the job, I am so excited about this new opportunity, I'm still with the same employer.  My new boss is male, a definite plus.  What I love about my employer is they are work/life balance.  

Today's walk, not a deer in sight.  I have some pics but have not had time to download and send to Tutt to publish for me.  I registered my Dave for the Syracuse 1/2 marathon.  I can't wait to see you all in Syracuse.  

Tutt, I would like to ask you or someone living in Syracuse, to find me two very nice rocks, not little ones, nice ones that will ship through mail or fit in a suitcase.  Everywhere we go I take a couple of nice sized rocks for my rock garden.  I have rocks from Colorado, Garden of the Gods, the Jemez Mountains of New Mexico, Norman, OK, and I also have a piece of lava rock from Arkansas.  I'll send tutt a pic of my rocks too! LOL Very Happy 

So this week:

Walk: 5.00 mile
Walk Time: 01:18:23

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:34 pm

LMRun wrote:Okay, I need to change the title of this thread.  Can the admin change it to CA Walker?  

I'll try to make the change.

This past week I was really tired, not sure if it was allergies or increasing my routine too quickly.  Hey, us walkers need to follow the same rules as runners, increase your routine no more than 10 - 20% a week.  The temps here in TX have been in the 100s with heat indexes between 104 to 108.  A heat advisory was issued last week.  This next week, it's back to business!  

That's just TOO hot!

So the slacker here did not go to the Y all week.  I interviewed for a new position last Monday, final round, I got the job, I am so excited about this new opportunity, I'm still with the same employer.  My new boss is male, a definite plus.  What I love about my employer is they are work/life balance.

Congratulations Louise!!! 

Today's walk, not a deer in sight.  I have some pics but have not had time to download and send to Tutt to publish for me.  I registered my Dave for the Syracuse 1/2 marathon.  I can't wait to see you all in Syracuse.  

We're looking forward to seeing you two again too... AND everyone else!

Tutt, I would like to ask you or someone living in Syracuse, to find me two very nice rocks, not little ones, nice ones that will ship through mail or fit in a suitcase.  Everywhere we go I take a couple of nice sized rocks for my rock garden.  I have rocks from Colorado, Garden of the Gods, the Jemez Mountains of New Mexico, Norman, OK, and I also have a piece of lava rock from Arkansas.  I'll send tutt a pic of my rocks too!  LOL Very Happy 

Tom and Richard live in Syracuse and I know they have lots of rocks out there.

So this week:

Walk: 5.00 mile
Walk Time: 01:18:23

Sometimes life and the weather get in the way and we have to roll with it... Next week is always a fresh start    

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:00 pm

I turned 53 this week.  No big deal, you are as young as you feel.  My daughter gave me the most beautiful card I have ever received, it made me cry.

I really miss my running so today when I started out for my Saturday walk, it sucked! sorry for the language.  I started running after a 1/4 mile and thought if I had problems, I could walk the last 2.5 that I usually ran on a Saturday (I've been cheating, start out walking fast, run the last 2.5, only on Saturday).  I felt great, I let my self go, mulled stuff over in my head, thought about how good it felt when I run.  I did not have any issues.  I can't remember the last time I ran 5 miles, it was like yesterday! 10:23 pace, 51:58. a beautiful 69 degrees, light breeze, slow pace, no pressure to push it!  Maybe that's the key, enjoy the miles that I can, let my hair down, relax!

You all may or may not know how much I love eagles and raptors.  When I finished my run, the sky was so blue and scattered cotton ball clouds.  There were three vultures circling over my cul-de-sac looking for breakfast.  During my cool down as I was walking I stared at the sky and looked at every feather they had on their wings, so beautiful!

If I feel good tomorrow morning, I'm going for a 3 mile run, just so I don't push it too far too soon! Smile 

I will seek a second opinion from a neuro surgeon that a friend of mine just had her back surgery with, as my right arm gives me pins and needles sensations, even when I'm not doing anything, it doesn't hurt sometimes, just more annoying than anything else.  I can't sleep on my left side anymore because if my neck is in a certain position, my arm starts pins and needles stuff.  This is not the way to enjoy your life, and I used to worry more about my heart, small beans in comparison.  I'm hoping for a key hole type surgery, give the nerve root a little more room and maybe stick a plate in there and trim off that disc a bit where it's pressing on the nerve. tongue

Sappy post, isn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:56 am

The only sappy part was where the vultures were eyeing you as their breakfast and you found it beautiful! Razz 

I get it, Louise. When I had my heart surgery my second biggest fear (after leaving a widow and orphans behind) was an outcome that wouldn't allow my beloved cycling and triathlon. On paper, that should have been such an unimportant part of my life, but it just wasn't. So: 1) I'm glad you had a beautiful day. 2) I'm glad you didn't injure yourself or become vulture breakfast.

Prior to my surgery, the cardiac surgery chief at a well-known university hospital told me my mitral valve was not repairable, and that I'd need an artificial valve. That's not the worst thing in the world, but I wanted to keep my native valve. I decided on my "second opinion" surgeon by prowling professional sites and journals to identify a specialist that was providing technique instruction to other heart surgeons and authoring valve surgery text book chapters. Fortunately, my medical insurance didn't involve any gatekeepers to specialists. I sent him a letter along with some echocardiogram videos, and a few months later he had me fixed up. I am very glad I took that approach, as I don't think I ever would have been referred to my surgeon through any of docs I was dealing with in my local community. I just didn't have confidence that any referral would be based on true expertise vs. personal relationships. FWIW, in case that approach gives you any thoughts or encouragement in your search for a 2nd opinion.

All the best to you, Louise. Keep us posted.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:45 am

How wonderful that you may not have to say "I used to be a runner".
Running is obviously so much more than just getting from point A to point B as quickly as you can.

Your post made me smile. Smile 

I wish you all the best, Louise!
trishb

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum