heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Today at 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Yesterday at 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

5K Open Water Swim?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5K Open Water Swim?

Post by RoadKillBill on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:08 pm

I've scarcely run since Cinci, so my ability to do a running event or a tri by end of summer is highly questionable.  I've been doing lots of joy riding on my mountain bike, but the roadie has been hanging from the hooks in the basement since last November.  I have decided I need to commit to SOMETHING to get out of the lazy funk I am in.  There is a cool open water swim in August that I'd like to do; it's point-to-point through a chain of lakes and ponds.  I Googled  "30 day couch-to-5K swim training plan for old people," but couldn't find anything, so I think I'll just start swimming frequently and quickly ramp the distance.  It might be a foolish pursuit as my shoulder has been bothering me in the gym, but I can manage 1.5 miles in the pool right now...2X and I'm there Very Happy .
RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Re: 5K Open Water Swim?

Post by mikenall on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:53 pm

Go for it Bill.  I wish right now I had stuck to the pool and running this summer and left the road bike in the basement. When I went off the beta blocker, I couldn't really run and was afraid to swim with the arrhythmia, so I turned to the bike.  My heart rate didn't go as high on the bike as it did running.  The running was coming back very well over the last week or so.  Saturday I went out for a ride and lost an argument with some gravel and a concrete curb.  Spent the next 6 hours in emergency with a trauma doctor, two rounds of xrays, a CT scan and numerous blood tests.  Out of commission again.  Have an appt. with ortho Thursday to have my shoulder examined.  I'm wearing an event monitor and the EP said to make sure I exercise.  I'd love to know what it registered when I hit the curb.
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:41 pm

Do it Bill, you can. I haven't been in the pool since Jan and on my bike since Nov. Talk about lazy. Actually it's trying to fit it all in. When I had a job I managed to get it all done; now that I'm retired I just think I'll do it later and later something else is going on. Goals work and the only goal I have now is the 1/2 mary in Syracuse.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:03 am

Oh geez, Mike! What an unfortunate season you're having. I hope the shoulder mends quickly.

Kodi, I know what you mean - I have been less busy than I would like lately, and the abundance of time seems to get squandered.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Billcobit wrote: I Googled  "30 day couch-to-5K swim training plan for old people," but couldn't find anything, so I think I'll just start swimming frequently and quickly ramp the distance.
 It sounds like a great event Bill but I'm not so sure about your training plan... I'm thinking the reason your search came up empty is that there just aren't that many people our age crazy enough to want to do something like that... Go for it !!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:14 pm

I missed a 10 mile trail run last weekend that I've run nearly every year since it started. I looked at the results and would have won my age group... I would have been the only one in my age group. That's been my plan all along - outlive everyone else. These doctors keep messing with my delusions of immortality.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Billcobit wrote:I Googled  "30 day couch-to-5K swim training plan for old people," but couldn't find anything, Very Happy .

SUPER funny!

First, you're not old - second that's a long way in the water!!!!

Swimming sounds like a great way to stay in shape over the summer, hope you have lots of fun pursuing this new goal!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:55 pm

mikenall wrote:Saturday I went out for a ride and lost an argument with some gravel and a concrete curb.  Spent the next 6 hours in emergency with a trauma doctor, two rounds of xrays, a CT scan and numerous blood tests.  Out of commission again.  Have an appt. with ortho Thursday to have my shoulder examined.  I'm wearing an event monitor and the EP said to make sure I exercise.  I'd love to know what it registered when I hit the curb.

OUCH!!!!!

Man, that's gotta hurt! I "fell" off my bike once - I was traveling at a slow speed on the rec path going under some pine trees, when I saw some sort of insects hanging out of the trees (spiders maybe) - so of course being the girly girl that I am I tried to avoid getting a bug in my face (heaven forbid this ever happen) - so I turned my tire quickly to the right, it caught the back of my husband's tire and down on my left I went (I think I even blamed my husband...you probably have all seen this....someone does something stupid and their loved one gets yelled at LOL). Still have the scar on my left knee - nothing serious though.

Mike, I hope your luck turns around soon!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Rachel August wrote:

First, you're not old

Let's see what you think when you get to my age!
RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:29 pm

[quote="mikenall"] I would have been the only one in my age group.  That's been my plan all along - outlive everyone else. [/quote]

When I reached 60 my age group was very sparse, so I won a lot of awards for the first couple years. But I'm at the front edge of the boomers, so larger numbers are moving up to that bracket every year and it's a rare day I'll finish in the top 3. Like, for instance, when there are 3 or less in the bracket. It doesn't help if I look for races with 5 yr age brackets, since only the larger events break it down to 5s and then the numbers are against me even in 65-69.

Last week at a 5K - where I did get 2nd place btw - an 80 yr old guy I met spent 10 minutes complaining about not having an 80+ age bracket, then ended up 1st of 2 in the 70+ anyway.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:53 pm

Sumorunner wrote:
Last week at a 5K - where I did get 2nd place btw - an 80 yr old guy I met spent 10 minutes complaining about not having an 80+ age bracket, then ended up 1st of 2 in the 70+ anyway.

Ya Gotta love it... I hope I'm that active AND cranky when (if) I make it to 80!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:45 pm

tutt wrote:
Sumorunner wrote:

Ya Gotta love it... I hope I'm that active AND cranky when (if) I make it to 80!
I keep getting closer to 80 and will make it long before you all reach official retirement age. LOL!
kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:31 pm

5K open water swim? I would not even contemplate it. Is there a time that you want to achieve?
kc

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:29 pm

kodi30 wrote:
tutt wrote:
Sumorunner wrote:

I keep getting closer to 80 and will make it long before you all reach official retirement age. LOL!  

I hope to follow in your footsteps -- thanks for being an inspiration!
RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 pm

kcy1998 wrote:5K open water swim? I would not even contemplate it. Is there a time that you want to achieve?
kc

No goal time - I just want to finish. Events like this attract much stronger swimmers than the typical tri, so I expect to be toward the rear of the pack in any case.
RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:08 pm

Billcobit wrote:
kcy1998 wrote:5K open water swim? I would not even contemplate it. Is there a time that you want to achieve?
kc

No goal time - I just want to finish.  Events like this attract much stronger swimmers than the typical tri, so I expect to be toward the rear of the pack in any case.

Help me out here. You do lots of Ironman Triathlons. The swim is 2.4 miles. Could another .7 miles be all that intimidating and slow you down by much? BTW about what is your best swim time for an IRONMAN? you impress me.
kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:19 pm

kodi30 wrote:

Help me out here.  You do lots of Ironman Triathlons.  The swim is 2.4 miles.  Could another .7 miles be all that intimidating and slow you down by much?  

Kodi you are correct that 0.7 mile more is no big deal IF you are already trained for 2.4. My issue is being completely de-conditioned for swimming. I did the event in 2011 right before IM Wisconsin and it was not difficult, but this time I expect more of a challenge. Last time I swam the 5K in 1:52 w/o a wetsuit. IM swim times have been 1:08 - 1:12 w/ wetsuit.
RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:41 am

Have a great race tomorrow Bill!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:26 am

Best of luck, Bill!!! Smile 

Don't drown and don't get eaten by sharks. pale 
trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:10 pm

The water was quite a bit cooler than the last time I did this event, and I got hypothermic then.  Inability to stay warm is a problem I've had ever since my open heart surgery Sad .   Fortunately, the event rules have changed.  Wetsuits are now allowed, with the provision that you are ineligible for an award (no risk of a top 3 AG placement by me in any event).  So I wimped out and donned my wetsuit.  I wasn't alone, but I was certainly in the minority.  Otherwise, a beautiful but cool summer day and a scenic swim.  I'm not sure what my official time was, but I think I was about 6-8 minutes faster than last time I did it.  I'm not as well-conditioned, but I got a pickup from the added wetsuit buoyancy.  There were some really excellent swimmers at the event, as I expected.  One of the guys I carpooled with managed to get 3rd in our AG, which was quite impressive given the level of competitive talent.

I'm glad I did it.  The swim training has been good rehab for my bunged-up shoulder.  But enough of that stuff for a while.  I am going to focus on my bike and start running again.  I wonder if I could ramp up enough to fake my way through 1/2 marathon at Syracuse?  Syracuse wasn't in my plans, but I'm getting envious of the attendees as I read the event updates.
RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:47 pm

That looks like a really nice swim Bill... Great race and faster than last year!!

We all hope you can join us in Syracuse. Don't worry about the time or the distance... It's all about friends and celebrating the fact that we're alive and pretty darn fit too.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Good job Bill. How can a swim be scenic unless there are lots of fish and underwater vegetation. Hope you decide on Syracuse. We trudged through a five person relay side-by-side in Akron, perhaps we can do the same in Syracuse....not likely, even slow your much faster than me.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:00 am

Great swim Bill!!! I know where this is - Great area!

I really hope you and your wife can make it to Syracuse!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Well done, Bill! Looking at that picture, really puts the distance into perspective.
Looks like a long, long swim!

trishb

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum