heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Running in Heat and Humidity

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Running in Heat and Humidity

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:57 pm

We made or usual abrupt change from Winter to Summer here last week and running has been a lot harder for me. As I get older it seems like it's harder to get conditioned to the heat and it takes longer. Probably the extra 13 pounds of flab I haven't lost yet is a big piece of it too. I always manage to get used to it and I like it hot but it sure can make an easy run seem tough... Anyone else having trouble getting used to the heat this year? Do you do anything special to ease into it?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Re: Running in Heat and Humidity

Post by Sumorunner on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:40 pm

I'll see your 13 lbs of flab and raise you 40 more. No, I have no trouble in the warm weather. I do try to get out early which puts a crimp in my pushups routine, but today it was over 80F by 8 AM and I felt fine. Next week starts our Tues night all-comers T&F meet series. I'll be throwing and racing in 85-90 degree heat every week for 3 mos. OTOH, I hate running in winter, even though I got through two 15Ks and a 13.1 in Dec/Jan.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Before my surgery I used to LOVE running in the heat – I never gave it a second thought and it never bothered me. In fact the summer before my surgery (during my ignorant bliss period) I did a speed workout (these were no 10 min miles that I do now, I was pretty fast at one time) on a black track, no wind (and I looked this up in my notes) in 92 degrees, with a 69 dew point and a heat index of 97….. okay, so I wasn’t the smartest runner….. but it never bothered me before.

Now I have this cow valve and while I’m SUPER grateful for my valve and I’m also really happy to be alive, I’m pretty sure that my cow came from Dawson City in the Northern Yukon Canada Region. Heat…..heck 70 degrees is almost too hot for me now!

This is also my first summer of running consistently after surgery, so I’ve got a lot of things to learn and a lot of things to get used to. Right now I’m super careful. I try to run in the morning (however mornings are more humid where I live) – I drink (and that would be water) before my run, I carry water on EVERY run, even if it’s a short 3 miler, I’m sipping at every 2 mile mark and I drink lots of water afterwards. Oh, and I’m slower than I used to be, so that helps too.

I also think that the weather has been temperamental. If your area is anything like ours, we have really mild weather for a while, (60-70) then we spike to an 80-85 degree stretch for a couple days, then the next thing you know, back to 50’s. It’s hard to get used to the heat when it’s only hot for a little while.

For me, it’s the humidity that kills any effort I have due to the valve….I’m going to talk to the surgeon and if my next valve is also from a cow, then I’ll ask for the breed of cow that are resistant to cold and heat lol!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:46 pm

As I get older I have a harder time with the heat too. But I live in AZ and it's a dry heat. Smile I just get out earlier this time of the year. One thing I have been doing on my off run days is walk later in the morning. Right now at 7:43PM it's 107º. I ran a race yesterday in CA (read the report on another topic) at the start in the mountains it was about 62 and when I finished 85. Not ideal racing conditions and believe me after the first five miles, we aren't talking tree lined streets.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Rachel August wrote: I’m going to talk to the surgeon and if my next valve is also from a cow, then I’ll ask for the breed of cow that are resistant to cold and heat lol!

Ha ha ha, that's too funny!

Try a Highland, they are exceptionally hardy in weather extremes Laughing

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum