heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Dave Tuttle Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Resting pulse rate

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Resting pulse rate

Post by RoadKillBill on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Just catching up on your misadventures, Mike. Sorry to hear that you are still having issues. Wish I could offer some advice, but I cannot. Combination of arrhythmia and open water swimming doesn't sound right, though. I hope you can get it all sorted out soon.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Here's the scoop. Went for a metabolic stress test yesterday. I suspect they would have preferred if I had waited a while before I did this, but I (and my wife) needed to know. If I'm going to do a triathlon in July, it's primetime for training.

Results: maximum heart rate 167 bpm (105.7% of age predicted maximum) and 12.3 mets. My previous stress test 2 years ago (on beta blockers) was 16 mets.

Three weeks ago I know I was at my highest cardio conditioning in probably at least 6 years. The first weekend in May I PR'd on a 5k race I've run 8 times in the last 9 years The Drs. notes indicate I was concerned about how this would affect my exercise performance. It seems to be a significant setback. Knowing that BB's limit cardiac output, this is counter intuitive.

Drs. notes say transition period may take a few weeks (EP said it could take 6 weeks) but ultimately they would expect exercise performance to improve over time after discontinuation. I would suspect that may be the case, but right now it sucks. I'm 2 1/2 weeks into this. We'll see what happens. If the triathlon were this weekend it would be out of the question. I'll just have to play this by ear and ease back into training and see how it goes.

I'll probably have another holter test in July or August to compare arrhythmia issues off the beta blocker. Some problems may get better but others may get worse.

OK, I'm done whining.
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:05 pm

Hope it all works out okay for you. Whining is ok once in a while, afterall we're getting older and have some limitations others don't. Just don't make a habit of it and let it stand in the way. We all understand that part.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:27 pm

mikenall wrote:

Results: maximum heart rate 167 bpm (105.7% of age predicted maximum) and 12.3 mets. My previous stress test 2 years ago (on beta blockers) was 16 mets.

Three weeks ago I know I was at my highest cardio conditioning in probably at least 6 years. The first weekend in May I PR'd on a 5k race I've run 8 times in the last 9 years The Drs. notes indicate I was concerned about how this would affect my exercise performance. It seems to be a significant setback. Knowing that BB's limit cardiac output, this is counter intuitive.

Drs. notes say transition period may take a few weeks (EP said it could take 6 weeks) but ultimately they would expect exercise performance to improve over time after discontinuation. I would suspect that may be the case, but right now it sucks. I'm 2 1/2 weeks into this. We'll see what happens.

I usually see a significant decrease in conditioning with 3 weeks of reduced training Mike. Could that be a factor here?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:34 pm

This is way beyond the results of 3 weeks of reduced training. This is worse than 2007/2008 when I couldn't run for 4 1/2 months. Based on the stress test and my heart rate they're estimating I'll have to "run" at a 12 minute pace for intervals with walking in between. I was ignoring what the test results were showing. It's hard to believe going off beta blockers could do this to me. If this doesn't subside very quickly a triathlon is out of the picture. This basically puts me where I was right after the heart attack 13 years ago. It's difficult to comprehend.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Wow Mike, really sorry to hear this – that is quite a set-back for sure!

Disappointing to say the least especially since you wrote that you were in the best conditioning you’re been in since the past 6 years. That’s a lot of hard work you put in to get there.

Can only hope that you start to see some results sooner than later!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick S. on Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:26 am

I am sure you will find a way to work through this, Mike. Hang in there and keep plugging.
Rick S.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Beta blocker update.
Last Friday was six weeks since last beta blocker dose.  Shortly after that the Electrophysiologist told me it could take 4-6 weeks to work through the beta blocker withdrawal issues.  The week before last I called their office on Thursday because I have been having dizziness that lasts for less than a second and goes away.  On Friday the office told me they would discuss it with the EP  After not hearing back from them for 5 days I made an appointment with another EP that specializes in treating athletes.  I was told he would "get it" in regards to my concerns about exercise.  I have an appointment with him 9:00 tomorrow morning.  I'll report back with what he has to say.

Meanwhile I heard back from the original EP 11 days after my original phone call.  Once I told them what was going on, they scheduled an echocardiogram (since I haven't had one in 4 years), and an event monitor.  They also told me they now feel it could take 3 months for the effects of the beta blocker to entirely go away.  I have to wonder how this would have proceeded if I had tapered off more slowly.

Ran 4.2 miles this morning at a 10:17 pace with an "average" heart rate of 147 and a peak of 169.  The last day I was on the beta blocker I ran 4.2 miles at a 9:20 pace with a peak heart rate of 147.  Don't know what the average was because I was wearing the holter monitor.
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Mike,
The variance is interesting. An increase of 22bpm at a pace that is 57 seconds slower. Besides bpm and pace how did you feel during both runs?
kc

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:10 pm

Hope your EP visit went well Mike...

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:04 pm

I'll be receiving a CardioNet Cardiac Telemetry device of some type tomorrow, and wearing it for two weeks.  The EP says it sends a continuous ECG reading by cell to a monitoring station 24/7 just as you are monitored while in the hospital.  If it gets out of cell range it goes into recording mode and sends once it's back in range.  He told me there's so many different things going on (and that was before the beta blocker withdrawal) he wants to look at the results of this and get a nuclear stress test at the end of the month.  His specific instructions were make sure you call them if you're going running/biking whatever or they'll be calling you on the phone to find out what's going on.  Should be interesting.  I may have to see if I can trigger a call sometime during the two weeks.
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Mike I had to wear one of these after my resting HR dropped into the low 30s. After a week they took me off it because my cardio determined I really needed the pacemaker because I was dropping into the 22-24 range during the night. It's a little cumbersome but there are worse things. They have really good instructions and you have to change the batteries (supplied) everyday. Hope you can get to the bottom of the problem soon.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:46 pm

[quote="kodi30"]Mike I had to wear one of these after my resting HR dropped into the low 30s.  [/quote]

I recently had a spate of low HR. Measured it at 32 one time and 40ish many other times. I immediately cut the beta blocker dosage in half and all was well again within a couple days.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Funny story. Last night I was at a track meet and saw an old friend who has not run in about 9 years. She had heart trouble, cancer, husband died, you know, regular stuff. We got to talking about the beta blockers because I was complaining how much they slow me down. I only ran the mile in 9:48 whereas last year in the first meet I had done a blistering 9:43. So she related how she explained to her doctor that she would not take the BBs any longer.

"Why the %$#@ are you making me take this ^&$# that makes me feel like &*^%. You're just %^&$# making me sicker, you ^&*%$! So you can take these $^%# pills and %^&$#." Good old Betty Jean, she's 81 now and ran the mile in 17 minutes.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:00 pm

How's that Telemetry device working out Mike?? Have they called you to see why your HR was up or down yet?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:01 pm

I've been wearing an event monitor since last Wednesday night. I see it sending data which means it's seeing something that they're looking for. Nobody has called me so it must not be too bad. I heard it ring last Friday shortly after I left for a run. That's a little unnerving but I didn't feel anything. I think they're looking for problems that don't have a symptom until they get bad enough that you pass out.

mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:57 pm

No calls are good Mike, now stay away from your bike and give your shoulder a chance to heal. Your luck has been terrible lately... I hope it changes.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 pm

I guess I spoke too soon. They called today to see how I was feeling...getting slow pulse readings that triggered the call. Of course they called my home phone and left a message after I gave them my cell number as primary contact. I broke my cell phone in the bike wreck Saturday and spent 1-1/2 hours Sunday getting an emergency replacement in case they called. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out the details. If it was too bad they could have texted me through the monitor.

mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Sumorunner wrote:So she related how she explained to her doctor that she would not take the BBs any longer.

"Why the %$#@ are you making me take this ^&$# that makes me feel like &*^%. You're just %^&$# making me sicker, you ^&*%$! So you can take these $^%# pills and %^&$#." Good old Betty Jean, she's 81 now and ran the mile in 17 minutes.

How did I miss this post?  LOL.  Jack, I would love to meet this lady!  Will she be in Syracuse?  Can you bring her with you?

On a serious note, Mike I hope all is going ok with you.  I know you have had heart issues this year and they are never fun.  Best wishes to you and see you soon!  {hug}

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:53 pm

As of yesterday morning, my fancy new Biotronik DR-T pacemaker, implanted 8/8, is about 98% shut down. I was at the pacer clinic for a followup, with my pretty graphs printed from my Garmin Dashboard, trying to explain what was occurring and how it felt. As I was describing it to her, I felt it start and told her "There it goes now." What she saw, recorded and sent to Biotronik, is supposedly impossible. I'm now wearing a holter monitor again. Just keeps getting better and better.
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:16 am

Mike, whatever it is, I hope you're not in any danger. Best wishes to you. I hope it all gets resolved soon.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 am

mikenall wrote:As of yesterday morning, my fancy new Biotronik DR-T pacemaker, implanted 8/8, is about 98% shut down.   I was at the pacer clinic for a followup, with my pretty graphs printed from my Garmin Dashboard, trying to explain what was occurring and how it felt.  As I was describing it to her, I felt it start and told her "There it goes now."  What she saw, recorded and sent to Biotronik, is supposedly impossible.  I'm now wearing a holter monitor again.  Just keeps getting better and better.
I hope they get this sorted out real soon Mike... You've been through enough this year! When is your next appointment?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:53 am

Arrrggghhhh....good luck with this...(not that you've had any so far...so you must be due)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum