heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

We Lost A Dear Friend Today

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

We Lost A Dear Friend Today

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:56 pm

I had a call from Gary Evans just now and it is with a heavy heart that I bring you the sad news that Gary’s wife Linda was hit by a hit and run driver and passed away. Everyone who ever attended one of our gatherings knew and loved Linda for her spunk and energy and admired her amazing ability to run with the best. Gary and Linda were always the life of our gatherings and Linda will be deeply missed at future gatherings.

Gary my friend, I am so sorry.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Re: We Lost A Dear Friend Today

Post by Klemp on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Dear Gary, I will be thinking of you. I recall Linda giving a big shout to me as I was nearing the finish of the full Akron marathon in 2011. Her enthusiasm as she yelled " go cardiac athletes" will always be remembered. What a gem she was and always will be in your heart.

Klemp

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:06 pm

Gary,
You and your family are in my prayers. I am so sorry.
kevin

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:06 pm

Gary I am so very sorry to hear of this tragedy and your great loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Bill

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:22 pm

Gary,
I am so sorry for your loss, I am in tears. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:02 pm

Very sad to hear. Will be thinking of Gary and his family.

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:35 pm

This is a sad day, I can't imagine what you are going through Gary. I'll never forget running with Linda at Harrisburg and Akron. She has always been one of my heroes - I've probably told everyone one of my running friends about her amazing running streak, sit-ups and push-ups and Columbus Marathon streak ‼️ What a wonderful person too and a horrible senseless loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:06 pm

Here's a shot from happier times. Baltimore MD, 2012. RIP Linda. You'll be in our hearts at all HEART gatherings.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DennisL on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:40 am

Gary, I'm totally devastated by this news. Her great smile was and will be as I remember Linda.
Linda and You will be in Elissa and my prayers.

Back to top Go down

Condolences

Post by Rick S. on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:25 am

Gary, I am so sorry for your loss. I remember Linda's engaging smile and witty conversations at the events- particularly Harrisburg, Baltimore and Akron. I hope you find a way to stay strong, though I can only imagine the heaviness weighing on your heart. Rick Strong
Rick S.

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Gary. I am so sorry to hear about the terrible news. I will pray for peace and comfort for you and your family.

Brian

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellthorpe on Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:18 pm

Gary, there are no words. I'm so sorry. I never met Linda, but you shared photos with me years ago. I had hoped that I would meet you both after moving to the US.

Deepest condolences from Craig & Ruth, to you and all of your family.
Bellthorpe

http://coolrunning.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Thanks so much everyone.  I'm finally coming out of my befuddled state.  My daughter insisted that I stay away from the house, and she was correct, as many lawyers have left materials at my door and in the mailbox.

I did a blubbering television interview each of the first four days (but the newsperson was always screened by my vigilant daughters) and we were able to have two huge gatherings (one for the running community and one for the overflowing memorial service). They even had some sort of "Run for Linda" on social media and I was shown videos of gals running in her honor (even one in Japan, where the gal videoed her run down the aisle of three cars of the "Bullet Train" while it was travelling at full speed)!

But the best tribute of all came from Dave, Diane, Bill, Renee, Mike, and Vicki who drove all the way from their distant homes to be with me.  I can't thank all of you enough as it really buoyed my spirit and got me through this harrowing week.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

not a single one of these gals ever met Linda

Post by Gary E on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:33 pm

I hope that if you paste the following, you will see a sample of the tribute to Linda

file:///C:/Users/Gary/Downloads/moms%20on%20the%20run%20tribute%20to%20Linda.html

One of the special moments at the tribute to Linda came from a group of gals that ran 6.2 miles from the accident site to our gathering.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:08 pm

There must be a hundred running shoes and dozens of race medals at the site of Linda's death.  The hit and run perpetrator made bail, but the prosecutor assures us that he will spend a long time in jail after the trial.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 am

Gary E wrote:There must be a hundred running shoes and dozens of race medals at the site of Linda's death.  The hit and run perpetrator made bail, but the prosecutor assures us that he will spend a long time in jail after the trial.

Did I hear correctly that this was his second DUI?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:05 am

Yes, that is what I was told by the investigators, but they said he made a plea bargain of sort and the sentence was reduced to something else (can't remember what it became) but he is currently out on bond since he was able to come up with funds to do so.

Right now, I trying to find out how to send an image of the huge pile of running shoes placed at the crash-site by fellow athletes.  It was above waist-high two days ago.  I'm also slowly trying to thank each and every person that donated money (like you), as well as thank all the people that joined us in the events celebrating her life.

Hopefully this computer rookie will get to each and every one of you in this decade Sad
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:08 pm

I'd be happy to help you get the picture posted/sent out Gary and any other tech support you may need, not that I'm that good but I manage to bungle my way though it... Great excuse for a phone call too!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:07 pm

Posted on August 14, 2017

Words cannot adequately express our gratitude for the outpouring of love and support we have received following Linda’s passing. She used to always say her name was “famous” because of the television actress from “Dynasty” who shared the same name.  Now we realize that our Linda Evans created her own “famous” legacy by living her life to the fullest. She was a devoted wife, loving mother, adoring grandmother, caring sister, dedicated teacher, inspiring athlete, creative artist, and a loyal friend to all.
In appreciation of your generous donations, here is an update on how they are being used:
It was Linda’s wish that her body be cremated. In her memory, our family plans to spread her remains at several of her favorite places. Prior to her cremation, the dedicated staff at the Ohio Cremation & Memorial Society were able to provide a private viewing for her immediate family.  It was a heartfelt experience and allowed us to have some closure from her abrupt and unexpected death. We were able to say our “goodbyes” and hold her hand one last time.
To honor Linda’s memory, we are working on creating two memorials, and both will include a memorial tree. The first memorial will be located at the site of her death. It will feature a boulder with an engraved plaque, marking her memory. Westerville Parks and Recreation department has already granted permission for the memorial boulder and tree to be placed alongside the western side of Park Meadow Road.  
We are so touched and honored by the actions of MRTT (Mothers Run This Town). They are a Columbus OH running community who created a heartfelt temporary memorial at the crash site. Running shoes, flowers, and even a Columbus Half-Marathon metal were a touching tribute in the immediate days following this tragedy. It is our understanding that the running shoes will eventually be donated to a charity when the permanent memorial is completed.
The second memorial will be an engraved bench located along the Alum Creek Trail. Following our donation, the Columbus Parks and Recreation department will be providing Linda’s memorial bench.  It will include a personalized plaque and will be maintained through the life of the bench, an average of ten years.  Linda’s husband, Gary Evans, and a close friend spent days walking some of her favorite running paths. They found the ideal location on the Alum Creek Trail near Ohio Dominican University. This location is a fitting tribute. Gary used to coach men’s soccer at the University and Linda took art classes while he coached. The bench site will be on the east side of Alum Creek, across the water from the ODU baseball fields. We will keep you updated when the bench has been installed at the site. We hope this fitting tribute, will be a place of memory, solace, and relief for all that miss Linda and love her.
The Columbus Marathon has granted Linda’s daughter Carey, permission to run the October 15, 2017 race in her Mother’s place. Carey is honored to wear her Linda’s bib number and compete in the race she was training for when she was killed. Runners around the country, including Linda’s family, are using #RunForLinda to track daily mileage towards her running legacy.  
From all of us in Linda’s family, we thank each and every one of you for your love and support. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we slowly move through this process.
Sincerely,  
Linda’s Family  

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:03 am

Thanks for posting that Louise, but now that I have read it more closely, I'll have to find out how to correct some of the typo's Sad   I don't remember which of my girls copied that, or where it was originally posted, but I really am fortunate to have such a wonderful group of friends.

The "Girls on the Run" team ran 8 miles from the accident scene to our memorial gathering in honor of her, and my oldest daughter ran her first race in ages with her upper arm labeled "run for Linda" just as I've seen on some sort of video tribute to Linda that whet nationwide.  One gal was even riding the Bullet Train (I believe the fastest train in the world) in Japan while running through three of the train's cars...all the while videoing it with her cellphone and posting it on the internet.  Now that I think of it, perhaps it was "Mom's on the Run", but you know how internet "un-savvy" I am!!! Anyway, that group (or at least the local chapter) has contacted me and asked if it would be okay for a rotating member to bring me a cooked meal once in awhile. I'm not sure how to reply, because the fast-food industry in Columbus may suffer the consequences of such.

Last edited by Gary E on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:03 pm

So many awesome tributes to Linda!!

Gary, you can't turn down free meals. it just wouldn't be right... And the fast food folks won't go broke either although their shareholders might be a little disappointed in the dividends this year.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

Dave, my entire life has been totally disrupted and turned every which way.  Other than a few news clips of some of the interviews about the accident during the first four days of the tragedy, I have not turned on my TV.  It wasn't intentional, it was just that I was typing emails to all the wonderful people that have emerged to help out during this stressful time.  Today I met with my lawyer (an old running friend) and now I have a ton of additional things that have to be done regarding legal proceedings and getting everything settled financially.  Today I also started work on Linda's memorial rock and plaque (which will be located at the accident scene).  Linda's memorial bench on the bikepath had to be re-done, because one of the workers mistakenly painted it the wrong color.

I think I need to hire a secretary so that I can get back to a normal life.  I'm still getting free meals at restaurants because of all the TV coverage over the first week of the tragedy.  I guess this haggard old face is too recognizable in this town.  Maybe I should get a facelift and a toupee.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:17 pm

Gary, I am just logging on to the forum after a hiatus (am not sure if the site was down for a period). Regardless I logged on to incredibly sad news. Please accept my heartfelt condolences to you and your family. I was one of the late comers to the HEART group and feel I have reaped more than I have sown. When I look to you and Linda I see people that gave more than they received. I feel absolutely terrible over this. I wish I could do something. Phil

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks, Phil, here is a photo of her bench overlooking Alum Creek (and on the campus of Ohio Dominican U, where I coached soccer for six years).  I will also attempt a shot from long range on the opposite side of the river in order to show off the beautiful new bridge that was built earlier this year.

[url=IMG_0299.JPG]Linda's bench[/url]

url=IMG_0299.JPG

I am obviously not good at this, but will ask a friend to help me soon.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:48 am

That is great. I am looking forward to more photo's.
The Columbus Marathon is right around the corner. Is your daughter still on track to run in Linda's place?

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum