heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Statins Or Not?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Statins Or Not?

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:54 pm

EugeneRunner wrote:
RoadKillBill wrote:I need to be careful about my knees and Achilles tendons...

Be especially careful if you are on statins.  Those can really weaken tendons.  I think being on statins is what put things over the top requiring my 3 foot surgeries.

Interesting... I've been on them for 18 years now and have wondered about long term use and if they might account for some of the pain and fatigue that is my normal. Since I'm already on a mission to lose weight, I'm eating pretty healthy so I decided that this is the perfect time to see what life is like without statins. I've briefly quit them before with no real conclusions but my NP tells me it takes 3 months for them to be eliminated from your system. I'm going the full 3 months this time with blood tests at the conclusion to aid in the decision whether to go back on them or not.  

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Re: Statins Or Not?

Post by jerseyguy on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:36 am

Well I have to say this thread has really piqued my interest.

This past fall I had a repeat Echo that was compared to a prior study from 2014. It showed "LAD distribution have normalized contractility" "suggestive of collateral flow or distal bypass". Well I didn't have bypass so I am working on the presumption it is new collaterals. My question is whether this is related to my statin or related to my running? My guess is probably both.

I absolutely hate all the medications I am on but I am not quite ready to test a new hypothesis of life without a statin.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

a decade after my first pacemaker

Post by Gary E on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:44 am

I get a new pacemaker tomorrow morning, and I'm going to ask the doc (my electrophysiologist) what he thinks about statins.  I had a cardiologist implant my initial one, and he's the one that put me on the statins.

I'm rather bummed, because I won't be able to swim until he sees me again ten days later.  I think I'll be able to resume my running in a shorter time span, but my pre-op paperwork says that I shouldn't drive, lift my left arm above shoulder height, or shower for that ten day period.  I don't think I had such a restrictive list last time.

Anyway, I wrote a note on my paperwork to be sure and ask him.  One thing I think the statins do for me is cloud my memory.  It's either that or alzheimer's (or maybe just old age) that is making me forget so many names and facts that used to be automatic !!!
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Good luck with the implant tomorrow Gary... New hardware! Do they have a supercharge mode in them now?

I'm interested to hear any and all opinions on statins. I've heard and read so much contradicting info that I don't know what to believe, most from seemingly reliable sources too.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Sounds like you're doing very well Phil... I've read that statins may promote collaterals but nothing certain... My Cardiologist never mentions that link but he often tells me that my running is the most important thing I can do to promote them. Had an interesting discussion with him a few weeks ago in relation to my recent loss of conditioning. Sounds like those collaterals diminish rather easily unless you maintain your fitness level and you have to push it to grow more.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:15 pm

I've been on statins since 2000, but also have been taking 200mg of CoQ10 daily. I've never had a test that would show collateral artery development but I'm sure they are there.  In regards to tendons and ligaments, now you've got me thinking.  I'm having tendon issues and just had an ultrasound that reported "thickening and hypoechogenicity of the
hamstring origin with 0.7 cm well-corticated ossification within the tendon substance."  Basically I think this means the last 1/4" of the tendon that attaches the hamstring to the pelvis has turned into bone.  I'll let you know the doctors opinion when I see her next month.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Hi Mike, I think the only way to definitively demonstrate collaterals would be an angiogram. The Echo findings are encouragement enough for me.
I saw a sports medicine MD a little while back for some minor issues. I think I will get his opinion. I would think he would have a different perspective than a cardiologist.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:15 pm

I was on 80 mg of Lipitor early on and I felt horrible all the time.  Tired, achy, etc.  At cardiac rehab the patients all compared medication, and we wondered why everyone was on the exact same dosage regardless of weight or individual circumstances.  I was 129 pounds at the time, and most of the other people there were double my weight or more - but on the same dosage.

I changed to 20 mg of simvastatin, and felt dramatically better right away.  I've only briefly gone off it, but as expected my cholesterol number spiked from great to okay, so my doctor insisted I go back on statins.

My memory and ability to talk coherently seem to have suffered in the 6 years I've been on statins.  But it is subtle enough that might just be my imagination.  But in a minority of cases people have reported dramatic changes in personality and cognitive abilities that were clearly tied to going on and off statins.  More common is muscle problems.

Weakening of tendons is a known side effect of statins.  But since most people on statins aren't serious athletes, most people never notice.  In my case I already had chronic achilles tendinitis, but it was manageable.  Once I was on statins it became much worse very quickly, and continued to get worse even after stopping running.  It seems pretty clear to me statins were the cause.

Last edited by EugeneRunner on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:32 pm

"My memory and ability to talk coherently seem to have suffered in the 6 years I've been on statins. But it is subtle enough that might just be my imagination."

A little over a year ago I spent a night in the hospital being observed for transient global amnesia.  At the time I asked the neurologist about statins and my memory loss.  She laughed and said statins could be blamed for a lot of things, but memory loss wasn't one of them.  I don't know.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:14 pm

80mg of Lipitor seems like an awfully aggressive dose. I started on 20mg after my heart attack and had it reduced to 10mg as my numbers were good.
Last fall I had a troublesome case of quadriceps tendonitis and currently am working through Achilles tendonitis and other minor foot problems. In my mind I can't make a cause/effect relationship with these problems and atorvastatin but it certainly has got me thinking about it.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:37 pm

I saw my doctor today and we're gong to try to switch from Atorvastatin to Simvastatin and up the CoQ10 dose to 200 mg. I'll let you know if anything changes.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:53 pm

I'll be interested in your findings Tom. I'm on Atorvastatin too, 18 years on a statin now... I just came off a 3 month experiment without the statin to see if I felt any better. Had to go back on them due to less than desirable lipid results even though I was watching my diet pretty closely. I hope you find improvement.

Too soon to tell for sure since I just started them again but I'd swear I felt better off them

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

I talked with my doctor about switching from Atorvastatin so he put me on Simvastatin. I decide to take a week off from the meds just to let my body clear out before I restarted.

Two weeks ago I ran 5K in 28:01. Today I did 26:06 on a slightly easier course (but not two minutes easier). (See update since ablation for details.)

I started back on Simvastatin today but I wonder...

twal

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum