heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

2016 Wrapup

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2016 Wrapup

Post by twal on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:48 am

Time to look back at this past year's mileage. I ran 835 miles and biked another 733. This brings me up to almost 60,000 miles lifetime running.

This was a bad year fro me. I had two catheter ablations and a strained hamstring. I still can't get my heart rhythm right.

How was you mileage? Hopefully you had a better year than I did.

twal

Back to top Go down

Re: 2016 Wrapup

Post by Gary E on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Total Miles: 1189.00 Miles
Days Run: 279
Total Days: 366
Percentage: 76.23 %
Biggest Running Streak: 88 days
Current Running Streak: 3 days
Number of Runs: 303

Other Activities
Bike: 622.3800 miles
Swim: 329.6147 miles
Pushups: 4764 total reps
Situps: 17100 total reps

I also hike (off-trail) mostly in the hilly portions of southern Ohio.  We usually hike for 3 1/2 to 4 hours and, as a group, haven't missed a single week in over eight years.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Total run miles 215, (mostly walking)
Miles swimming, 91
Pushups 15,400
Mile biking, maybe 12

I joined the local Triathlon club, so the biking will go up for sure. Swimming goal for '17 is 150 miles. I doubt I'll ever actually do a Tri, but it's a nice group to train with.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:13 pm

You guys have some very impressive numbers there especially considering that none of us are getting any younger and all of us are dealing with new or ongoing health challenges!  Very impressive indeed!!

My year wasn’t anywhere near what I had hoped for but the good thing is I am still running (more accurately, it’s a slog). I had to cut my running back to every other day due to torn meniscuses in both knees but I avoided surgery and the new routine seems to be sustainable… The surgeons said I had to quit running and have surgery a couple of years ago, so I’m thinking they were wrong (or just wanted my money). I also added indoor rowing to get some exercise on non-running days and that’s been a good thing too.  

So in 2016 I ran 659 miles, rowed 175 miles, and reached a total of 15,282 miles run since OHS. I probably would have run a couple of hundred more miles but I’ve somehow managed to be sick with viruses nearly 9 weeks out of the last 4 months. I’ve also managed to end up about 20 pounds over what I’d like to be so I’m looking for 2017 to be my comeback year.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Am in the ballpark of 1,900 miles this year. Got quite a ways to go if I'm going to meet everyone's lifetime miles.
I was blessed to get into Boston this April - 3 1/2 years post infarction. Am now in the midst of training. Then looking to re-evaluate my running goals.
Hope the New Year brings good health to everyone.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by bsegall2 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:14 pm

I was pleased to have biked 3,073 miles in 2016. I set three mileage goals during the year - 2,000. 2,500 and 3.000 and was able to reset higher after achieving the first two. I felt great and had a great time. I also ran (more like Dave slogged) 200 miles.

My 2017 goal is to ride 2,500 miles, run 250 and swim 50,000 yards. Happy 2017 to everyone!

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:04 pm

Nice totals everyone!

I've temporarily lost my running log for 2016 while remodeling my office, but I think I was just over 2,800 miles of running last year. The year started pretty bad, as I was still struggling to come back from my third and most serious foot surgery. But things started to click finally late in the year and I put up some good training and good races. A 16:16 5K on Thanksgiving at age 49 was certainly one of my best races ever.

I'm loosely planning on running a few national championship races in 2017, with the main goal the 10,000m at track nationals over the summer. I'll be 50 by then, and hopefully fairly competitive in my new age group.

2016 was a good year on the heart front. No issues after having a couple scares in previous years. I don't even have regular appointments with the cardiologist anymore. As long as I don't have any problems, I don't need to see him anymore. My normal doctor monitors my meds and blood numbers now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Great results everyone.  I'm really sorry to hear that E.R. is going to turn 50 this year, because that's one extra rung that I'll be pushed down on the 50+ leaderboards!!! They currently don't have one for any age beyond that, so as I turn 70 this month, I'll be competing with mere youngsters.  Sad

Seriously though, I really think all of you are a real inspiration to any athlete that has any type of heart issue. Your energy, attitude, and dedication send a positive message to anyone that has any kind of cardiac issue.  Big congratulations to all.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:38 am

I used a training spreadsheet to run my life up until Lake Placid, then promptly stopped keeping score. Lots of joyriding on the bike until November when the weather turned lousy. Now I am dabbling in strength training (or maybe it's really amateur physical therapy) and some uninspired low volume running. I've managed to plump myself up by about 10 lbs since summer; no, it's NOT muscle gain (I'm too old for that), it's crappy holiday food and social eating since November. Dave T can attest that I had gotten myself very lean last summer, but I have since (and temporarily) squandered that advantage. I had found that ditching the extra weight gave me a lot more stamina in light of my weak heart. There are some 40-something kids at the gym who are into crossfit (which is really kind of elderly for that pursuit) who conduct a pickup class of bodyweight exercises for anyone interested. I had thought that my jogging and cycling had kept my legs in good working order, but some of the plyometric moves (which are sadly not much different from hopscotch) really put the hurt on me. I can do pull-ups like a 40 year old, but ask me to jump or stand on one leg and I'm challenged. I need to be careful about my knees and Achilles tendons, but I clearly need to do some work on my lower limbs. And I need to get back to my pseudo-nutritarian diet that served me so well in the last couple of years.

Happy new year to you all. I am hoping to encounter some of you in person sometime in the coming year.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:06 pm

RoadKillBill wrote:I need to be careful about my knees and Achilles tendons...

Be especially careful if you are on statins. Those can really weaken tendons. I think being on statins is what put things over the top requiring my 3 foot surgeries.

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks for the tip, ER. Luckily, I am not on any meds.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum