heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Road Kill is STILL an Ironman!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Road Kill is STILL an Ironman!!

Post by echoguy on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:37 am

Congrats to Bill on completing IronMan Lake Placid yesterday. I am hoping to read a report and see some photos when he gets the chance.....hint, hint. Cool

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Re: Road Kill is STILL an Ironman!!

Post by LMRun on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:17 pm

Congratulations Bill!

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:55 pm

Fantastic!!! Well done Bill!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:29 pm

echoguy wrote:Congrats to Bill on completing IronMan Lake Placid yesterday. I am hoping to read a report and see some photos when he gets the chance.....hint, hint. Cool

Well, since you asked Very Happy

IMLP 2016 Race Report

Background

Just a little background for anyone who doesn’t know me.  I did my first Ironman in Lake Placid in 2005 as the realization of a recovery goal I had set after heart surgery.  I was never an endurance athlete, just a guy who liked to ride his bike a lot.  I was drawn to Ironman because of its stupid proportions (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run).  I thought training for the event would help me realize my full cardiac recovery potential (I believe I was right).  I have always been a “Parade Class” Ironman participant as opposed to a competitor, completing events in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011.  Modest accomplishment aside, I have always enjoyed the planning, training and completion of these grand events.  I can’t do these forever, and I’ve decided the 2016 event was my last (I said that about 2011 but I think I’m more sincere this time).

Race Preparation

It had been 5 years since my previous Ironman in Wisconsin.  I am 5 years older, but also 10 pounds lighter from (sort of) following the Echoguy diet.  I had executed the same training plan I had used in previous races.  Now that I am retired, I was able to avoid overloading my weekends and sacrificing sleep for training time.  I felt pretty good for an old guy.  Perhaps I’d PR?  Or not.  Either way, I would be satisfied with an official finish. My wonderful wife was supportive, and I was delighted that our son was willing and able to take time off work to join us in Lake Placid.  

The Event

There was some unstable weather prior to the race, featuring lightning, rain, hail and wind.  Weather was calm on race morning, although fog and clouds gave the swim course a foreboding atmosphere.  I have been fortunate that I’ve never had to battle extreme weather conditions.

The crazy mass start I had known was replaced by a rolling start for this race.  The swim was much kinder and gentler than I’d previously experienced, but I still managed to take several heel strikes to my goggles.  I periodically had to move to the infield to drain and readjust my goggles.  Although my first loop had me on track for a 1:09 swim (consistent with prior events), I ended up with a 1:12 by the time I was finished.  Not consistent with prior IMLP events, but not bad.

I got underway on the bike and felt good.  The fog had lifted and we were rewarded with spectacular views of the Adirondack mountains as well as pristine lakes and rivers.  I was keeping an eye on my heart rate and avoiding spending too much, too soon.  I was staying hydrated but also making a lot of pit stops; old man plumbing exacerbated the delays.  Conditions got breezy on the last 20 miles of the first bike loop, including a headwind on the miserable 12-mile uphill stretch between Wilmington and Lake Placid.  I was a bit slower than plan on the first loop but all things considered, I was doing fine.  I slugged two bottles of Ensure that I had cached in the designated area at the end of loop 1 (NOT part of the Echoguy diet, BTW).  I felt like puking for the next few miles until I started to absorb the stuff, and then felt good again.

I was thankful that the wind abated for the second bike loop, but it started getting warm.   It never got severely hot, but higher-than-typical temperature took some additional starch out of me.  I saw some people who were walking their bikes because of leg cramps, and a poor lady about my age who was laying in the grass and being attended to by a medic on one of the uphill segments.  I started feeling kind of gassed, but never had any doubts about my ability to finish the bike.  I had slowed down, however, and managed to achieve a personal worst for the bike.  I was still in before the bike cutoff, and had plenty of time to finish the marathon if I performed as in prior IM races.

I ditched my cycling shorts, lubed my feet, and changed socks and shoes to start the run.  I felt pretty strong coming out of transition, and thought I would perhaps make up for previously lost time.  I kept scoping out other runners to see if there was a good candidate for a marathon buddy.  I find it very helpful to have companionship on the run provided target pace is desirable.  I met a nice lady about mile 5, and we kept company for about 3 miles until she made a pit stop.  I didn’t want to wait around so I moved on to meet a pleasant young man who was finishing up his second loop.  I left him also when he made a stop.  I climbed the two big hills leading into downtown Lake Placid and decided I was starting to feel really crappy. I didn’t think I’d been overhydrating on the run, but felt really nauseous.  I encountered my wife and son who had last seen me chipper and strong-looking, and now I was walking and a bit green.  We exchanged a quick greeting and I marched on to complete my second half-marathon.  I took advantage of the downhills, resuming a plodding run for a bit.  My first running companion ran by, saying hello and cheerfully reporting that she’d caught her second wind, dropping me with authority.  I wondered if I’d end up like the poor devil I’d seen on the first loop, on all fours, dry heaving at the side of the road.  A short while later, I did some disgusting and extreme belching, and felt immediately better.  I saw another guy just ahead of me who I thought would make another good running buddy, so I picked up my pace to catch him.  Everybody is entitled to their own style, and this guy seemed torn between complaining about his poor race performance and pouting in silence.  Not what I was looking for, so I moved on after a few minutes to search for someone a little less toxic.  At about mile 18, I met a nice guy who was similarly exhausted and we trudged and talked in the dark together to finish off the race.  There were no more running intervals, just some determined walking.

As is my (and many others’) custom, I forced a run when I entered the bright, noisy Olympic speed skating rink where the finish line was placed.  I had a sincere smile on my face as I crossed the line.  This was my slowest Ironman, but I had completed the race before the midnight cutoff and considered the day a success.  

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:26 pm

Great stuff Bill!! I really enjoyed the race report and the video. You truly are an inspiration for toughing it out!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:52 pm

They don't call it an Ironman for nothing. Something I don't think I would ever have the intestinal fortitude to attempt. I would say that is a job "well done".

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum