heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Update since ablation

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Update since ablation

Post by twal on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:53 pm

I've had some ups and downs since my ablation surgery in January.

I seemed to be doing pretty well but coming back slower than I expected. Then I wore a Cardionet monitor for there weeks in May. I turns out that I did have an undetected afib event and since then I've had a few more major afib events.

On the other hand I've had some good days.

Before ablation, I knew when I was in afib/flutter and when I was not. It was pretty black and white. Now I seem to drift in and out of arrhythmias, hour to hour day to day. I spend a lot of my time in a gray area.

I'm still running but I'm not doing all that well. My cardiologist says I ought to give up strenuous exercise, take my blood thinner and be happy I don't have a stroke. I'm not ready to buy that.

In August, I have a follow up visit with the electrophysiologist who did my ablation down at the UPenn hospital in Philly. My original ablation was only a right atrium ablation. We may need to take on the left atrium this time. We'll see how that visit goes.

I'm still running and biking and raced on 4 July, but it was slow and I'm not sure how much I'll race this summer. I only have a few more summers left in my life and I hate forfeiting one.

On the bright side, my daughter and her family were visiting over the 4th and we ran a race. While I didn't do all that well, my daughter won her age group, my granddaughter won her age group and my grandson was second in his, in a pretty big race (over 500 runners).  So it looks as if they've overcome the bad genes I passed on to them.

twal

Back to top Go down

Re: Update since ablation

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:47 pm

Sorry to hear you're still not at 100% Tom... Those electrical problems seem to be difficult to fix and really tough on athletes. I hope the August appointment leads to some improvement!

You must be very proud of the kids! Way to go! You had to have done something right and I'll bet you're the reason your family all runs in the first place!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:02 pm

Sorry to read about your afib Tom. Hopefully the electrophysiologist will have some answers and solutions so you can keep running.

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:03 pm

I have my follow up visit with the electrophysiologist on Monday in Philly. I'm curious to hear with he has to say. I'm getting weird heartbeats but I haven't had a major afib/flutter events lately.

I was hoping to really test my heart this week but I'm nursing a strained hamstring which has stopped my running for the past few weeks. I'm keeping in some kind of shape with biking.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:57 pm

I am sorry to hear you are still struggling with the A-Fib but admire your perseverance. Good luck on Monday.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:50 pm

twal wrote:I have my follow up visit with the electrophysiologist on Monday in Philly. I'm curious to hear with he has to say. I'm getting weird heartbeats but I haven't had a major afib/flutter events lately.

I was hoping to really test my heart this week but I'm nursing a strained hamstring which has stopped my running for the past few weeks. I'm keeping in some kind of shape with biking.

How did it go Tom?  Well I hope. Any answers or insights?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:48 pm

I saw the electrophysiologist this week. I happened to be in flutter when they did my EKG.

His conclusion was that it was an unsuccessful ablation. Now I need to decide if I want to do it again.

The doctor seemed quite confident, that this time he would get it and I would be better off for it. I believe him. My problem is that once we solve one problem, what's the next problem I'll encounter.

He's recommending another right atrium ablation. Will this only uncover problems in the left atrium?

I know a guy who had 5 ablations before they finally got it right.

Starting out with an ablation, I had high hopes for 2016. Then the ablation hasn't worked out, my son accidentally slammed a door on my foot and I fell over a log in a hotel lobby. (What the f*** was a log doing in the lobby.) At the moment, I have a hamstring pull and some kind of virus.

With all that in mind, I'm scheduling the next ablation on 12 Oct. What could go wrong?

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:47 pm

twal wrote: I had high hopes for 2016. Then the ablation hasn't worked out,  my son accidentally slammed a door on my foot and I fell over a log in a hotel lobby. (What the f*** was a log doing in the lobby.) At the moment, I have a hamstring pull and some kind of virus.

With all that in mind, I'm scheduling the next ablation on 12 Oct. What could go wrong?

Geez Tom, that's a bunch of bad breaks all in a row!!

Sorry to hear but I'm betting it can only get better now... Not likely it could get worse, right?

Good luck with the 2nd Ablation and BE CAREFUL between now and Oct 12th! I think Murphy's out to get you!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:43 pm

It sounds like you are overdue for some good luck. Wow the 12th is right around the corner. Hope all goes well.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:58 pm

I'm driving down to Philly tomorrow for my next ablation procedure on Wednesday. Let's hope this one works out.

I haven't been able to race since the 4th of July.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:11 pm

Good Luck Tom, you'll be back at it in no time.

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:14 am

Good luck, Tom!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:48 am

I hope this one does it Tom! Good Luck!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:11 pm

Best wishes, please let us know how everything works out.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:19 pm

Hope everything went well today and optimistic you will have good report.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Thanks for your good wishes.

I made it through catheter ablation and can still fog a mirror, so I guess that's good.

I have a scratchy throat from the breathing tube and blood in my urine fro the urinary catheter used during surgery, but my resting pulse is down in the 50's and stable. My resting pulse was 75-80 for the past two months.

They thought they were going into my right atrium to treat my flutter. When they got done with that they saw that I was also in afib so they went into the left atrium and cleaned up that as well. It was a long surgery but I was still able to walk out of the hospital that evening.

The doctors and staff at UPenn EP department were great.

It's going to be a week before I can do anything strenuous. Then I start my comeback. The real test will be what happens when I try to push myself.

This rest well help me let my injured foot and hamstring more fully recover.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:15 pm

HUP is a very good hospital. Sounds like they did what they needed to do. Sounds encouraging. Rest easy and will remain optimistic that you will have more good reports to follow.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:47 pm

We are pulling for you Tom....rest up and kick butt on your comeback!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:57 pm

Sounds pretty positive. Best of luck on your comeback!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:58 pm

Keep us updated Tom. I hope all is going well. I'm sending a link to this thread to a woman in Texas who just found out she's been in afib and flutter nonstop since early September. Her pacemaker recorded the problem but did not send a report. She had symptoms and was able to bike but not run. The EP is recommending ablation as a first response since she has been in arrhythmia nonstop since it started.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:05 pm

First run since surgery today. I struggled through 2 miles. I had put on 5 pounds during my relative inactivity which I'm sure didn't help.

On the other hand, this evening I'm going to the viewing for a high school friend who passed away with heart problems this week. That kind of puts things in perspective.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:10 pm

twal wrote:First run since surgery today. I struggled through 2 miles. I had put on 5 pounds during my relative inactivity which I'm sure didn't help.

On the other hand, this evening I'm going to the viewing for a high school friend who passed away with heart problems this week. That kind of puts things in perspective.

Gotta start somewhere twal!!! Welcome back to the roads....lots more challenges ahead, but all worth it!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:50 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated.  Now don't get all excited and start running like a banshee.  You've got all of the late fall and winter to slowly (and patiently) get back into it.  I know you will succeed though.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:52 am

I had a follow up visit with my cardiologist (not the EP) this week. Good news is that I'm not in flutter/afib.

Bad news is that I'm in an ectopic rhythm. My beats are not originating from the correct spot in my atrium. I'm told this is a "normal variant" (a normal abnormality).

However, my heart isn't working right. I'm running easy as directed but I can only run 10:30/mi with an effort that few months ago would have been 9:30/mi. If I get to the slightest include (not even a hill), I'm gasping for breath.

I'm told to give it time and things may clear up on their own. But each day I worry more and more.

So far, the ablation was a success but the patient died (actually is just worse off).

Time will tell.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:42 am

Thanks for the update Tom. Did the ectopic rhythm show up right after the ablation or more recently? I do hope it clears upon it's own and soon!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum