heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Swimming for exercise - not competitively

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Swimming for exercise - not competitively

Post by Gary E on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:29 pm

Just noticed no one has posted anything in this area yet, and thought I would see if I'm the only one swimming regularly.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Re: Swimming for exercise - not competitively

Post by bsegall2 on Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi Gary, I swim once or twice a week, just for 30 minutes. The pool has a nice view of the outdoors, I'm friendly with the guys at the gym, and it seems like very little stress on my body, with different muscles being used than biking or running.
Regards, Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:10 pm

I am currently swimming 60 mins 2x/week. I'll start doing 2 x 90 mins starting in February as prep for Lake Placid.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:09 pm

Swam a mile today in 55 min. In 1986 it was 40 min., so I've lost 5 min. per decade.

I usually swim only in summer at the town outdoor poll, but because of a multitude of running injuries, I've swum indoors 3 or 4 days a week since Sep., mostly 1000-1200 yards, but once every few weeks I'll do 1500-1800.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:39 am

Bill and Bruce, you guys should post your mileage on the www.logarun.com website.  It is a free tool that does all sorts of calculations for you (like how many miles a year you run, swim, or bike).  I especially like it whenever I want to compare how I am doing this year relative to previous ones.  I wish it was around when I was a better athlete though.  Other than the marathon, I have little recollection of what my PR's were.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:48 pm

Ah, you should have kept a log book. I began in 1978 using Bill Rogers Runlog books they sold at Athletic Attic. Then I designed my own spreadsheet on paper and kept those in 3 ring binders for many years. Starting in the 90s, I moved my spreadsheet to the PC and still fill those in religiously. I can look up how many miles, when and where, for any day going back 38 years. But of course I never do look back more than a couple years.

I keep a separate file for races, 477 total, so I can find location, distance, time, etc. at a glance.

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:05 pm

Sumorunner wrote:Ah, you should have kept a log book...

I used to keep each year's calendar, where I wrote the time under each race...but after several decades of different sized "twelve-page" monstrocities, the storage space became more important than numbers that I could no long duplicate if I tried.

I do still log my data, but now on Logarun.com, a free online tool.  That way I can search for yearly totals, averages, and even view trends via bar graphs.  Which reminds me...it is almost time for everyone to post their yearly data.  Let the bragging begin.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:42 am

Gary E wrote:  Which reminds me...it is almost time for everyone to post their yearly data.  Let the bragging begin.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:30 am

Right Dave. We'll start another thread on 1 Jan.

I just checked and I'm at 999 miles for the year.

I'm like Sumo. I've logged every mile I've run and almost every mile I've biked since 1965.

I have a data base of all the races I've run--older stuff on paper; more recent on computer. The sad part about that is that it documents how much I've slowed over the years.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:14 pm

I got a new swim watch for Xmas. Automatically counts time, laps, strokes, stroke efficiency, etc. Used it for the first time today. Now I can be A-R with swims as well as run & push-ups data.

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:46 am

Sumorunner wrote:Now I can be A-R with swims as well as run & push-ups data.

Okay, I give up. What does A-R stand for?
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:59 pm

I finished last year with 327.1 miles of swimming. At one point in mid November, I reached a new "365 day record" of 333.5 miles, but in this last month I missed several days. This Wednesday, I get a new pacemaker, and will undoubtedly miss a week or so until the incision heals and the device is more secure in it's pocket.

I hope the "time off" will not prevent me from eclipsing that yearly (365 day) record, but the problem with such a pursuit is that I must stay near home (or at least within close proximity of a pool) instead of galavanting all over the country in an effort to spend all of the kid's inheritance money.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:55 pm

[quote="Gary E"]

Okay, I give up. What does A-R stand for?[/quote]

adamantly-retentive

Using swimming as one's primary exercise has it's disadvantages in that one must have a pool to swim in, whereas running and biking can be done anywhere, anytime. I've been constrained by availability and scheduling in the past year, but I'm fitting it in better now. My nearest pool is only 10 minutes away and I learned what time of day is least crowded. There are three different pools I can get to with a short drive.

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:03 pm

Oh, BTW, today I registered for my first swim meet, Jan 21, one week before my 69th birthday. Never too late to pick up new tricks. I did do one open water swim last August but have never done a pool race. I signed up for two events, 50 yard freestyle and 200 yard freestyle. I've never been a sprinter, nary a fast-twitch muscle in my body, but there are very few endurance events indoors.

However, US Masters Swimming does have a one hour postal event in Jan/Feb. Swim one hour, count your laps and mail it in. I will try that next.

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:37 pm

re:adamantly-retentive (see previous couple of postings)

See that? You learn something on this site!!!

It is also a great place to reunite with old friends that are dispersed by great distances.  Just tonight, after reading through a few postings, I called Trish!!!  She was one of the members that kept this group of characters together over the years. Look for an update from her someday.

Since not too many members are into swimming, I figure that I can hide that tidbit here...just to see if anyone is paying attention.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:09 am

Ah swimming -- the only thing I can still do reasonably well and yet I don't enjoy it that much. I seem to prefer doing things I can't. I think I've been in the pool twice since July.

Impressive mileage for the year, Gary.

Jack, I admire your enthusiastic undertaking of a new sport.

Best wishes to you both for your continued accomplishment.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:47 pm

I swim when it gets too cold or snowy to run or bike. I'm swimming right now for the first time since last April since I was advised to take a break from running. It's just much less convenient than heading out the door to run or bike.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Just noticed who is ahead of me in the thirty day leader board in swimming.

7. SumoRunner (13.6)
8. Brutus (11.9)

Way to go Jack!!!
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

I still haven't heard from the new manager of the LogARun site, but at present, the leaderboard is currently updated for only a few categories on the homepage.  I think Jack disabled the rest, especially swimming, just when he rose above me in that category on the leaderboards (see above posting).

Just adding this to see if it gets noticed by that artistically talented member of our group.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum