heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Naperville Marathon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Naperville Marathon

Post by Bean Counter on Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:09 pm

I have not been very active on here as life has been hectic since the year started. The year started on a positive note as I had just started a new job, but then early February my wife woke up to find me having a seizure and then going into cardiac arrest. Fortunately for both of us, she is a Nurse Practitioner with both ICU and ER experience. Anyway, she brought me back to life, but after a week in the hospital, they never did figure out the root cause, so I left with some insurance policies....a prescription for Kepra (anit-seizure medication) and an ICD. At the time, I was training for the Illinois Marathon in late April. That plan went out the door as I could not run for 6 weeks while they let the ICD heal up. Neither the Cardiologist, the device clinic or the Neurologist had any issues with me running the half marathon in place of the full. It was actually a blessing in disguise as they end up cancelling the race about 3 hours in due to some nasty weather.

Anyway, I applied for the Global Heroes, but did not get in. I did get notification that I was an alternate. Next year.

I decided to register for a local marathon that was this past Sunday. I had a pretty good training cycle building my mileage from 55 miles per week up to 70. I did manage to get sick while we were on vacation in September (I think it was my body forcing me to take some rest) and then again during my taper. Anyway, I ended up taking 5 days off from running and did a few short runs during my 3rd week of taper. I showed up to the starting line very rested. Very Happy

When I started my training program, I had a best case scenario of <3:25, but after having just come off of being sick, I decided that would not happen. I decided to shoot for <3:30. The race day weather was perfect; about 40 degrees at start and sunny. I did a pretty good job of managing my pace, and stayed slightly ahead of the 3:30 pace group. They caught up to me around mile 20 and I hung with them through mile 23, then the wheels fell off and I focused on just finishing and no walking. I kept doing the math after each mile and figured I could at least beat my post open heart surgery PR of 3:37:36. I had to work for it, but I did cross the line at 3:36:31 and had nothing left in me....I left everything out on that course.

On my facebook page, I did sum up this race as follows:

5 Ironmans and 15 marathons and this is probably the one medal that means the most to me. I have medals associated with the Boston marathon, medals associated with bad races and medals associated with <3 hr marathons. My fascination with endurance sports is that they will peel you like an onion all the way down to the core to see what you are really made of. Today I got a reminder of that. With the health issues that I have had over the years, I am so grateful that I can still get out there and play.

I will most likely never run as fast as I once did, but today I left everything out on that course and kept pushing along when things did not go as well as I hoped. I could have easily scaled it back and just use my heart as an excuse (the only one I am trying to impress is myself), but I kept pushing (and wound up with a post heart surgery PR).

I was once asked what are the 3 most important things in my life and I answered my wife, my cats and running.

My plan now is to rest of a bit (hoping to get out for a few easy miles later in the week), start building up my mileage and focusing on the Illinois Marathon (late April). I am also going to try and fit the Heart Mini into my schedule.
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Re: Naperville Marathon

Post by LMRun on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:10 pm

Congratulations on your marathon, such an awesome achievement for what you have gone through this year with your health.  

Love your statement: "grateful that I can still get out there and play."  That's what it is all about.  Smile

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:59 am

Well done, BC! Over the years I have read your posts on various forums and have always been impressed with your physical and mental resilience and your determination. Glad to hear you are doing better after your misadventures several months ago. Stay well!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:16 am

Congratulations on the PR Bean Counter! I love your grit.

Amazingly good fortune that your wife had the skills to save you!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:32 pm

Thanks for the details BC!!!
Nice run and I look forward to running with you one day.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:24 pm

Haven't been on this site in a while, and just noticed this posting. Wow! Very impressive. I can't wait to meet you in person someday. Perhaps at the Heart Mini next year.  Great write-up, race, attitude, and fabulous outlook on life.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:28 am

I am continually humbled by the accomplishments of others, particularly in the face of adversity. You have my sincere congratulations on a job well done. Hope to meet you some day....perhaps in the Twin Cities?

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum