heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

HEART Face Book Page

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HEART Face Book Page

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:46 pm

There is a lot of activity over on the HEART Face Book page. They're organizing a couple of 70.3 Triathlon relay teams now: https://www.facebook.com/groups/116331208428006/

I know several of our members don't do Face Book and I wish there was a way to link the HEART FB page content to this forum since FB is where the majority of the action is now... I'm pretty sure you have to be a FB member to view the page even though it's public. Any ideas?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Re: HEART Face Book Page

Post by LMRun on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:11 pm

I'm a facebook convert now so I'll send a 'friend' request.  Wink

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:29 pm

I couldn't find the Heart facebook page. All I find is Ann and Nancy Wilson singing. Now I see that it's H.E.A.R.T

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:52 pm

twal wrote:I couldn't find the Heart facebook page. All I find is Ann and Nancy Wilson singing. Now I see that it's H.E.A.R.T

When I googled HEART on Facebook, I could not find this group.  I used Dave's link:

HEART on FB

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom price on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:40 am

You have to use it as an abbreviation H.E.A.R.T.
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:08 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on what seems to be the trend of face book replacing and posibly marginalizing this forum?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom price on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:57 pm

My opinion, most use FB....however, there are still people who are not on FB that at least can find us via a Google search on this forum. So I guess both are the answer for now........
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:45 am

I guess I'll need to get on Facebook if that's where the action is.  I prefer the forum format but preferring it all by myself isn't of much use.  

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by bsegall2 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:40 am

I like Facebook for posting pictures and things like "it was great to meet everyone last weekend" but I prefer the privacy/closed nature of this group when asking for or giving medical advice/experience. I do not in general share anything of my medical situation with my professional network and prefer to keep those thoughts private (for now) via a closed group like this. Hope that helps, Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom price on Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:19 am

Good point, Bruce.....
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:11 am

I noticed it on a few boards I watch as a general trend away from old style forums. There are still plenty of old-timers around, but young people wouldn't find the bulletin board format enticing.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

An Old Codger's view of FB

Post by Gary E on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:01 am

I guess I'm one of those "old-timers" (in more ways than one). Although I have a FaceBook account, I find that so much of the space there is dedicated to such mundane or trivial daily activities that I think it is a waste of my time. I only check in when someone sends me an email telling me that I must visit to see a photo of my grandchildren or something like that.  I don't think I've even done that in the past three or four months.

Oh, and I tried that "texting" thing too.  My fingers are so big (and screen so small) that it takes me five or six tries to get one word correct!!! I learned touch-typing at an early age, yet I find that what I can do instinctively on a keyboard, takes me forever on any other device. For some reason my fingers automatically perform (without looking) when placed on a keyboard but my brain has to search for each letter when confronted with some flat version of such.  What is with that?
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:05 pm

I too prefer this forum over Face Book. I've held off expressing my opinion about this apparent trend but I am concerned. I understand that to be successful an organization has to change with the times and perhaps a Face Book presence is one of those necessary changes but I also think that this forum should remain the primary platform for our communications for several reasons

There is the privacy issue that Bruce brought up and I think that is an important consideration.

A forum is searchable, has indexing and individual topics whereas every post on FB gets buried under the latest new post. It is pretty much impossible to go back to something that was posted even a few days ago on FB but a forum user can access a specific post or discussion of interest from years ago.

Forums allow you to post important information like upcoming gathering details which can readily be kept on top and in view not buried under hundreds of other posts.

Our forum offers a user friendly format for potential new members to see what HEART is all about prior to making a decision to join.

I know FB is convenient but if you think about it the forum is too, it's only a click away.  

Most importantly IMO forums usually offer a much greater depth of interaction and support than commonly found on FB.

The fact that most of the posts on FB are never seen by our forum only users bothers me and I believe allowing the forum with all it offers to fall into disuse would be a big step backward for HEART. A forum is an organic living thing. It is the sum of what the members are, nothing more and nothing less. I've always felt that HEART's greatest purpose was to offer our hard earned experience and support to those who are now exactly where each of us once were. To pay it forward as they say. I hope enough of our members feel likewise and will continue to keep this forum the vibrant supportive community it always has been.

Last edited by Dave Tuttle on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:44 am

One point that I don't think has been mentioned yet is the education aspect of the HEART website.  The page of dedicated educational websites served as a search engine for me when I could not find information through traditional web searches. 

I am not on Face Book so can't speak to its strengths or weaknesses but what I can say is that it is the camaraderie of HEART that drew me to this community.  I would be saddened to see the group divided.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:59 pm

The forum is an absolute keeper to me.  The one big wish I have is that more of the members would come out of the shadows and join in the conversation.  As Bruce said, "the camaraderie of HEART is what drew me to this community.  I would be saddened to see the group divided."
Dave, Mike, Bill, Rachel and others put a lot of time and effort into this forum, just a reminder for all members, there is a private "Members Only" forum here if that is your preference.  Yes, not everything is private in reality but it's better than being way out there.

Facebook should not be a substitute for the forum.

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:57 am

I like the social aspects of the group, but I also want to see us realize our full potential as a support group for other heart patients (http://heartorg.zohosites.com/support-for-heart-patients-by-heart-patients.html) by building a body of knowledge comprised of our personal experiences and insights.  I don't think FB provides sufficient structure for that purpose.  OTOH, tepid participation on the forum doesn't build that body of knowledge either.  I finally got on FB and was astonished to see how many of our community members use it exclusively.  There is a wealth of experience and potential support capability that is regrettably limited by FB's inherent lack of content management capability.  I agree with Dave's points.  Perhaps our underlying issue is less collective interest in being a support organization than socializing?  I am not knocking anyone's personal priorities or objectives, I am just trying to get to the root of the matter.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:11 am

I concur with the idea that FB is good for the social aspect - this forum is essential for the support aspect.

I think part of the problem with social media in general, which I think directly impacts this forum as well, is that there's just too much of it....people are "on" all kinds of formats and platforms, and I for one find it all very consuming (that's just me though) -

Another piece of this issue related to the various formats and platforms might be the culture of social media, people's inclination to habit, and convenience.... FB is a known platform and the fact that HEART has a presence on that site makes it very convenient to those who are in the habit of using FB on a regular basis.

I think also as Bill stated, different people have their own personal priorities and objectives so there's that piece as well.

In my opinion, I find extreme value in a forum such as this one for privacy and support in the specifics to our heart conditions.....I also like FB for keeping up with people on a more social level - so I tend to use both when I can find the time!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:32 pm

What Rachel said.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum