heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by rkaaron on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:33 am

Thanks to Mike Nall for directing me to the forum.  After reading some of the post I can tell that this is a great community of like minded warriors.

My name is Kevin and I am 47 years old.  I have a wonderful wife of almost 20 year and 3 boys (13, 11, & 7).  In February of this year I had a routine heart scan that revealed severe calcium buildup in my coronary arteries.  After a heart cath revealed two blockages of 100% and two more at 80%, I underwent quintuple bypass surgery on March 11th.  Doctors were amazed that I had no other symptoms.  They indicated that I had developed collaterals that had saved my life.  I have since made a full recovery and graduated from cardiac rehab a little over a month ago.  A true blessing that this was discover without significant heart damage.  

The only risk factor I had was family history.  I didn't do a great job managing my cholesterol, I just knew the average was around 200 (normal).  What I didn't realize is that my ratios were bad - HDL less than 30 and Trig. were over 250.  I attempted to maintain an active lifestyle.  My weight would fluctuate from 200 to 220 (6'1' tall) and I would sporadically work myself back into shape.

In my teens and twenty I ran a lot of road races.  My best 10k was sub 35 and 13.1 sub 1:24.  In my early thirties I worked back to run one Mini at sub 1:35.  Over the last five years I saw my ability to train up diminish significantly.  I ran a 5k @ 7 min. pace in 2009 and was at 8:30 pace in May of 2014 - chalked it up to old age.  I have been back running for a little over six weeks and able to run 5k in 8:45 pace.  It will be interesting to see where I am able to get with my new plumbing and a steady long term running program.  I no longer look at fitness/running as optional.  My weight is down to 178 and my last two lipid panels were great (finally got HDL to 41).          

My long term goal is to be where Dave Tuttle is - 15 years post CABG and dominating CAD.  Dave please share all your secrets!  Other goals are to be an advocate for heart scans and exercise - both played a big part in saving my life.  And if the good Lord is willing, I would like to do Boston in my 50's.

Great to find a group to share with and support!

rkaaron

Back to top Go down

Re: New Member

Post by RoadKillBill on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:57 pm

Welcome, Kevin! Glad you joined us. I hope they bypass gives you a big horsepower pickup. Will you be able to join us in WV in October?

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:54 pm

Greeting Kevin, I am a newbie around here as well. Discovered this great group of people last fall and had the good fortune to meet up with several at the annual get together in Harrisburg last year. Dave is indeed someone I think we all aspire to. Not just for his physical accomplishments but for his ability to encourage and empower other people to meet their health and lifestyle goals.
I was 47, married x 18 years, 2 teenage sons and had a LAD or "widowmaker" infarct. Didn't have bypass surgery but was revascularized with stents. In the end had 4 stents placed in 3 arteries. I ran as a teenager and in my twenties then didn't run again for many years. I am 49 now and I think I am on the right track...no pun intended.
Wish you only the best and hope you are able to make to West Virginia.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:34 pm

Welcome, Kevin!

Glad you had that scan done! So many do not have any symptoms until the big finale.

You really are on the right path to a long and healthy life!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:41 am

Hello and welcome to HEART Kevin and welcome to the "lucky to be alive" club too!

It sounds like you're doing really well for such a recent surgery and you have a solid plan to overcome your CAD... Your comment that fitness/running is no longer optional is IMO the key. My Cardiologist is very supportive of my running. He says it's the single most important thing I can do. Diet, meds, and managing other risk factors are important too but they won't be nearly as effective without the exercise. And those collaterals are indeed life savers. My goal has always been to grow as many as I could and when a graft failed in 2009 they told me collaterals were supplying sufficient blood to that part of my heart and no damage had occurred... That in itself made every mile worth it but the biggest pay off in addition to still being alive has been the confidence I've been able to enjoy for so many years... Each and every run I do proves to me that my heart is OK and to me that is priceless.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:17 am

Welcome to HEART.

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by rkaaron on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:58 am

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement!  Not sure I can make WV this October.  My recovery and rehab was a big hit on my vacation days this year.  Owe the family a trip over fall break.  

My Cardiologist is supportive also.  He made a statement that exercising 5 to 6 times a week is better than any med he could provide.  

The past few days I have struggled with low BP that has produced some dizzy spells.  Dr. has me on Beta and Ace to try an improve EF (Doppler est. 45-50 EF).  No history of high BP so even small dose pushes me to around 100/60.  Over the weekend I saw some reading below 90/50.  Might have over done it last week and got a little dehydrated.  With rest and re-hydration it appears to be getting back to a comfortable zone.  

I saw that many have struggled with low HR because on BP meds.  They really haven't effected my ability to get my heart pumping.  I get into the 150 range at a comfortable 3 mile pace.  If I am doing a HIIT workout I might get to 180.  

Thanks Again,

rkaaron

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Welcome to the group. You can always have your fall vacation correspond with the HEART race. There are some interesting civil was sites around Antietam and Gettysburg that your boys may like.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:58 am

Welcome to this group Kevin!!! Sounds like you're doing great! I also had super low BP when I was on betas after my OHS....I started eating salty pretzels like crazy afterwards (DON'T do that) - I got yelled at by my doc - but it was the only thing that kept me from falling down from dizziness. Didn't take long before I was taken off the betas completely!!!

Hopefully we'll meet you soon - if not this October then maybe next year at the Heart Mini in Cincinnati - or some other event. In the meantime continue to take good care of yourself and your family!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum