heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Today at 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Yesterday at 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

New to HEARTORG Forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New to HEARTORG Forum

Post by Jeff Blakeman on Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:57 pm

Greetings,

I am Jeff, 49 years old, living in Olathe Kansas. I’ve got a wonderful wife of almost 29 years and two daughters (23 and 19). On September 22, 2013, one month shy of my 48th birthday and while running in the Quad Cities Marathon in Moline, Illinois, I suffered SCA due to a blocked LAD. Thanks to Bruce Segall for reaching out to me and inviting me to this forum.

The Quad Cities Marathon was my 6th marathon, and I was shooting to run 3:22 in order to be under the 3:25 Boston qualifying time I needed. All my training leading up to this marathon had me well prepared for this challenge. As my Garmin would reveal, my marathon that day was going just as I had planned up thru mile 19.5. At mile 19.7 all things came to a halt as I suffered SCA and went down. I have no recollection of my SCA event or of the last few minutes leading up to it, although I was later told that I was running up to the time I went down. I was extremely blessed that two bystanders along with two fellow runners (a nurse and a doctor) immediately came to my rescue and began CPR and continued for a number of minutes until EMS arrived. EMS personnel worked on me and with a defibrillator were able to get my heart beating. Within a couple hours of the event a stent had been placed in my LAD to open up the blockage.

Cardiac rehab began a couple weeks later and I completed that phase in early January 2014. I’ve had two nuclear stress test (Dec. ’13 and Dec. ’14) along with other exams and I’ve been told all looks good with the rest of my system. My cardiologist recommends I back off on the mileage (3-4 max) and also on the intensity of which I was training and running.

I’ve been able to back off on the pace when running but I struggle with holding the mileage down to the 3-4 miles per run as recommended. Throughout 2014 I continued running and gradually increased my mileage to where my typical runs are 5-6 miles multiple times a week at a comfortable pace, all while generally keeping my HR under 145 bpm. On September 28, 2014, I returned to the Quad Cities Marathon to pick up where I left off in 2013. Starting at the same point and same time as when I collapsed, I finished the remaining 6.5 miles of the marathon running alongside my daughter (a nurse) and the coach of our running organization. What a great feeling that finish was! In early April this year I completed my first ½ marathon post SCA, and just last weekend I completed my second ½ marathon. The goals of new PR’s as usually measured by fast finish times have now been set aside. I now run to keep active, maintain friendships with running buddies, and for the enjoyment I get from participating in the events.

I look forward to getting to know the folks on this forum, to hear of the experiences you all have had, and to learn how we as cardiac event survivors can continue to pursue our passions.
Jeff Blakeman

Back to top Go down

Re: New to HEARTORG Forum

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:27 am

Hello and welcome to HEART Jeff! You have an amazing story there and some amazing good fortune as well... What a great way to celebrate your survival and return to running. That had to be special!! It sounds like you have things pretty well sorted out now and are making the most of it with a new outlook and that's great!

Like you I was relatively young, in my mid 40s when CAD nearly killed me... Even with some limitations we're lucky ones! 15 bonus years for me so far  Very Happy

I'm glad you found us here Jeff (thanks Bruce). We would love to meet you in person if you can make it to our annual gathering in Shepherdstown this fall!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Hey - welcome Jeff!!!!

What a great come-back!!! So happy you're back at it!

Hope you're able to join us in WV this October!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Welcome, Jeff! The LAD block is certainly scary stuff; so glad to hear that you were surrounded by knowledgeable people when you had your SCA. We know others who have had similar experience and have been able to resume long distance running with their Drs' blessings. I hope you continue to make progress in your recovery. Please consider the annual HEART event in October. I've been to a few of these and they're wonderful events.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Welcome Jeff!

Great to have you here!  

And even better to have you still on this side of the dirt.   cheers

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:15 am

Glad you found our group. Hopefully, you can join us in West Virginia this fall.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Bean Counter on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:18 am

Congratulations! Being able to race in a different country is a very cool experience. In regards to your PF, I have only twice in my life and both times a chiropractor was able to get in there and get it fixed up. Maybe something worth looking into.
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:59 am

Welcome to HEART.

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum