heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Chase Corporate Challenge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chase Corporate Challenge

Post by Bean Counter on Fri May 22, 2015 10:54 am

Last night was the Chase Corporate Challenge 3.5 mile run in downtown Chicago.  The weather was perfect and it is always nice to run in the downtown area.  

I have been very consistent with my base building over the past 2 months (after a 7 week layoff from seizure/ cardiac arrest) and have managed to shed almost 10 lbs during that time as well.  I even managed to log 50 miles a week for the past 3 weeks (now I am starting a reduced volume week).  I have not run hard since January, so my plan for this race was to basically go at a pace where I don't fall off pace too soon.  Having no idea where my "comfortably hard" fitness is currently at, I told myself that if I went faster than 8 minute miles, I would be happy.  I was going to let my HR dictate how hard I was going to run.  My normal tempo HR is between 155-160; depending on the length of the tempo run.  Well, I finished in 26:23, which translated to 7:33 minute miles at an average HR of 160.  I was pleasantly surprised and was even able to get out the door for an easy 6 this morning.    

The irony is that I ran this as part of the University of Chicago team; which is where I had my aortic valve replaced in 2010.  My wife works there as a Nurse Practitioner and was able to get me on her team since my employer does not participate.  While she was running, she saw 2 nurse friends from the ICU she used to work in giving a guy CPR off to the side.  She stopped to see if they wanted her to rotate in, but they said they were fine.  Last I heard, they did manage to get a pulse back, but the final outcome of him was not know.  For those that do not know what happened to me earlier this year, my wife woke up to find me in a seizure, then I turned blue and she could not find a pulse on me.  After calling 911, she gave me chest compressions and brought me back to life.  She is still going through some PTSD from that incident.  Anyway, we try to make the best of it and I have been told that I always have to let her win any sort of argument now.  I also joke that she should be grandfathered in for CPR certification.  

A funny observation from the run was that probably 1/2 the people in this race were doing it because their company suckered them into doing it and they had no intention of falling out of their comfort zone.  Most companies have nice tents set up and I never saw so many people drinking beer/ wine before a race.
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Re: Chase Corporate Challenge

Post by trishb on Fri May 22, 2015 6:57 pm

Bean...it is great that you are back at it again. And better than you expected!

Your wife is a hero!
I am sure she is still shaking from the experience, but just watching you enjoying the life you got back must give her so much pride.

Congrats on a great run!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat May 23, 2015 6:14 am

Already up to 50 mile weeks and full-throttle races -- amazing! Still a mystery as to why your ticker stopped last year? Must have been very spooky for your wife to see a runner needing CPR during the race. Nevertheless a great comeback story for you. Best wishes to you and your wife for continued enjoyment of incident-free running.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom price on Sat May 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Nice! I was the captain of our corporate challenge team here in Syracuse for many years. Our mixed team even won a few times and got to go to the championships! Of course, I was not a member :-)
Yes, 80% of the participants are walkers, or joggers....but at leads they are not home watching tv for one night!
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Sat May 23, 2015 5:35 pm

I was GE team captain for a few years in the 80s Albany and was unable to run it because writing down the finish times on index cards was too much work. Yeah, it was all done by hand and we had about 125 runners in a field of 2,000. Now GE has over 400 and there are 10,000 there. I suspect they stopped doing it by hand a few years ago.

GE coordinated it's teams to win several local corp. challenges and get as many into the championship as they could, calling around for runners in wide spread locations and having them run with teams that had a good chance for 1st. We would get a guy from NYC to come up to Albany or a whole co-ed team from Lynn MA, or Binghamton GE runners to join the Syracuse team. We had several teams in the national race some years.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun May 24, 2015 4:34 pm

Great run!!!!

You're wife is amazing too - but sorry she had to see someone down at this race...that's got to be unnerving for her after all the two of you have been though recently.

Drinking beer/wine before a run - HAHA - I'd be flat on my face with even a sip....I don't even like to drink 24 hours before a run....any run!

Hey - really amazing race for you - SO HAPPY you're back in the game and coming up strong again!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon May 25, 2015 9:28 am

Nice race and weekly mileage B.C. especially considering how this year started out for you!

My sympathy to your wife... Unfortunately our spouses do get put through a lot of stress and trauma because of our heart issues and I'm pretty sure it's a lot tougher on them than it is on us.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Bean Counter on Tue May 26, 2015 2:29 pm

[quote="Dave Tuttle"
My sympathy to your wife... Unfortunately our spouses do get put through a lot of stress and trauma because of our heart issues and I'm pretty sure it's a lot tougher on them than it is on us.[/quote]

Yes, when I had my aortic valve replaced I told her I had the easiest job...just went to sleep and woke up later that day and all was well. I think that was probably the longest 6 hours of her life.
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum