heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Illinois Half Marathon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Illinois Half Marathon

Post by Bean Counter on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:41 am

As you probably saw in a different post, this year started off on the wrong foot when my wife woke up to find me having a seizure and then turned the lights to see me turn blue and then not being able to find a pulse. She is a Nurse Practitioner who has ER experience, so her instincts kicked in and she was able to get my heart going again. After spending a week in the hospital, they never found the root cause, so gave me a prescription for anti-seizure medication and implanted an ICD. With that came a 6 week recovery period meaning no running. Prior to this event, I was training for the Illinois Marathon (and actually had 2 eighteen milers under by belt before this went down), but knew that 4 weeks of running after such a layoff was not going to happen, but figured I could do the half. I ran it by my cardiologist and the neurologist and neither had any issues. My goal was simply to have fun and finish and celebrate life.

All week they were the forecast was calling for bad weather on race day. Have done many races and training runs in bad weather, I was not too concerned; especially since I was not gunning for a specific time.

Anyway, the race went off as planned, but my race plan did not (sort of). I told myself that I was just going to go easy and have fun. Well, I need to stop kidding myself and realize that going easy is not fun for me. By mile 2 I got my HR into an appropriate half-marathon zone and just decided to see how long I can hold this pace for. Keep in mind I had only been running for 4 weeks after a 7 week lay-off (and about 10 lbs heavier). Now I was having fun! I never faded and actually my fastest mile was the last one; which is a first for me. I came in at 1:53 and (I had sub-2 in the back of my mind even through I was not targeting a specific time). The rain/ wind did come in during the race and they actually stopped the race 3:30 into it (affecting mostly the marathoners). I went ahead and booked my hotel for next years full marathon already since it is right at the start line.

I also used this time in the car (since I cannot drive for the time being; state law after having a seizure, but hopefully that will change next week) drafting up my essays for the Global Heroes program.
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Re: Illinois Half Marathon

Post by LMRun on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:01 am

OMG, Congratulations. You are so much like the rest of us, we go through tough spots, get back in the saddle, tell ourselves don't push and then do the opposite. The adrenalin from the race got you going.....sounds like you had a lot of fun, a good time too.  Smile

Setting that goal for next year sounds like a good plan.

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:24 pm

Sub 2!!!! Sub 2 after a seizure…. after almost no training… after you almost died!!!

You said it right – what an amazing celebration of life this run was for you!!! Bring that spirit with you on your GH app – I wish all the best to you and your future efforts.

Oh – and seriously tell the state of Illinois that you just ran a sub 2 half….no driving HA – although I think that’s a law in Michigan as well – I’m sure you’ll be back behind the wheel soon enough.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:40 am

WOW, fantastic race Bean Counter  

That had to be a real confidence booster after what you've been through!

Good luck with your GH application, it would be a great way to wrap up a year that had a very rough start.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Running easy is fun when you are chatting with friends, not so much when in a race. Nice post seizure PR....keep them coming!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:19 pm

Nice work.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:23 am

SO GOOD!

How long before you can drive again?
Here in NC it is mandatory 6-12 months.
Which is way too long in my opinion.

Great to see your recovery has gone so well!!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Bean Counter on Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:56 pm

trishb wrote:SO GOOD!

How long before you can drive again?  

Great to see your recovery has gone so well!!

Hopefully I can start driving again next week. When I met with the Neruologist last month, I asked him the question (as he ultimately needs to give clearance). He told me to contact him at the 3 month mark (next week) and he will evaluate. He seemed to be leaning towards letting me drive as long as there have not been any issues. I currently have to catch a ride to work with a guy that likes to get in early and leave early. Since I like to run in the AM, I have been getting up at 4:00 AM to do this. I don't mind getting up early..as long as I go to bed at a reasonable time. Unfortunately getting to bed early has been the hard part, but it means I am still asleep during my run.
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Very inspiring. Awesome job!

In regards to driving again. I believe it's a state law in most states and also most car insurance companies will deny any claims filled if you don't have a letter from your doctor that you can return to driving.

All the best!

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:29 pm

Well done, Bean Counter! It's good to see you are back to racing.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum