heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Lil Tex's Shiny New Training Journal

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lil Tex's Shiny New Training Journal

Post by LMRun on Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:24 pm

This is my shiny new training journal, best I can do with coming up with something creative.   Very Happy If I don't have fun with it I won't stick with it.  
I was motivated by my PT yesterday. I'm allowed to use 5 pound weights to strengthen my biceps and triceps.  I have a yellow band now to do what they call 'flashers', you have both arms against your side, 90 degrees and you hold the band across your front and stretch out like you are flashing someone.  In all I have enough exercise to get the endorphins going now, I'm still at 3 sets of 10 for everything.  I was a little sore at the rotator cuff from the flashers and only did 2 sets of 10 yesterday.  PT said to do range of motion today, no weights or bands and then resume on Saturday.  So, it's common sense to do weights every other day like I used to and then walk or run on the other days.  

For the first time in my life, I'm going to go to a massage therapist, my PT suggested it and she referred me to the one she goes to.  My PT is running Boston this year!!   

Of course the big news of the day is that I walked and ran today to see how it would feel.  No pain, shoulder was fine, just felt like I was hauling a truck when I ran.  OMG, I am out of shape, I know it will come back, it was 70 degrees, 88% humidity at 9:00 a.m. Texas summer is not far away.  

Stats:
Distance: 3.23 mi
Time: 36:49
Avg Pace: 11:23 min/mi

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Re: Lil Tex's Shiny New Training Journal

Post by trishb on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:17 pm

So glad to see that you are getting back at it. The surgery can take quite a time to heal completely, but you are doing great!

Have fun!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:31 pm

LMRun wrote:...hold the band across your front and stretch out like you are flashing someone.

My reputation would be sullied if I didn't respond to the above. But, since you got me here, I want to wish you the best during your rehab and to congratulate you on getting out on the pavement again. I'm looking forward to tracking your progress on the leaderboards at LogaRun.com.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:37 am

Hi Louise

That's all very promising - glad to hear you're able to run without shoulder pain.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:39 am

Glad you started a journal Lil Tex and it's great to hear you're progressing so well!

That first run is a BIG milestone and it looks like it went pretty well     

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:52 am

YEA!!! Looks like you're well on your way back!!!! So glad to hear that you've run - it takes time but you'll be back to where you were before you know it - BTW - your first run back was FAR better than mine was when I tried coming back from my injury a few months ago - keep it up!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:22 am

It's been a tough week.  Monday's PT went well but by Tuesday morning, my C6 nerve decided to hurt all along the pathway to my thumb, on Wednesday, it was a little irritated but better.  I was in a training class on Wednesday, once I got up and walked around and moved my arm and shoulder it settled down.  My Cardio approved my taking Celebrex for the inflammation from the rotator cuff repair in February, I took a break from it middle of March to see if I could stop it.  On Tuesday, I started back on it and today things are settled down.  I have to be careful taking this with Coumadin.  With the great news a couple weeks ago from the FDA on my heart valve, hopefully my checkup next Friday will be even better news, that I can reduce my Coumadin and my INR between 1.5 and 2.  Thereby reducing my bleeding risks and still be able to take Celebrex for a while longer.  

Today's run went better than I expected, I took it easy, concentrated on my form, keeping my shoulders back, not bad at all, ran 3.21 miles with average pace of 10:14.  

The word of the week is "Patience", which I don't always have, it will get better, it's just going to take a long time.  I thought about that while running earlier this week, this surgery took a lot out of me, more than I realize, it will come back, I just have to be patient.  Cool

On to the good stuff, stats:
Pushups: 205 (wall pushups but they are still pushups Razz )
Walk: 8.57 mile
Walk Time: 01:38:32
Weights: 105
Run: 4.41 mile
Run Time: 00:45:13

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:59 pm

I am so sorry for the pain you are having.

But despite the pain, you really are progressing very well.
It will get better....and it is getting much better if you look back on where you started from.

Keep up the great work!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:46 am

Sorry about the pain Louise but hey that run was great!!

One day at a time and it'll keep getting better!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi Louise

It sounds like you are making good progress. Don't over do and you'll be back to full activity before too long.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:57 pm

I agree that patience is the hardest part of recovery. Sounds like you are on the way...Keep up the good work!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

One step forward, two steps back

Post by LMRun on Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:38 pm

Overall, things are going well, my PT is now one day a week at my request.  I can do a lot of the exercises at home, going to the facility twice a week is becoming a pain for me.  Massage therapy was great a couple weeks ago, I go this week, looking forward to this helping all of my soft tissues and my back.  My right shoulder blade is not sitting correctly, that's why I have to do so many shoulder blade exercises, hoping it will go back to it's normal place, so we will be working on that at PT and massage.   Massage therapy is all new to me, never had a massage in my life.  Shocked

Last week, I started core work which will help my back, my pushups progressed to plank pushups to give me more workload, and then my running, well not so good.  The Wednesday run was awful, I felt tired from the start and was just not feeling it so 2 miles.  On Saturday, my plan was to run 3 but something was not right with my back.  I ran to see if it would go away and it did not, I walked after the first mile and then ran part of the last mile.  Big mistake, the rest of the day I was in pain and it was pretty bad, definitely a nerve pinched mid back, iced it off and on.  I've lost a lot of muscle tone but as I build it back up, things will get better, they always do.  

Stats for week of April 18:

Pushups: 150
Walk: 7.26 mile
Walk Time: 01:50:22
Weights: 160
Run: 4.17 mile
Run Time: 00:43:45

This week was better, no running, plank pushups, I progressed to floor pushups on Thursday.  I also added lunges.  I have a couple of new exercises to do with the bands, one is called the bear hug, using the black band, arms at 90 degrees, elbows shoulder height, band behind me, extend arms straight out in front at shoulder level.  I've seen men do this exercise at the Y with one of the machines, wonder if they have rotator cuff issues.  Wink Today I power walked, shuffled a little bit to see if my back would hurt, better safe than sorry so I did not run.  I'll give it a couple more days and then try again.  

Stats for week of April 25:

Lunges: 75
Pushups: 225
Walk: 5.09 mile
Walk Time: 01:08:02
Weights: 410

Beautiful weather here in TX today, although we hit 90, not quite ready for the heat yet, but I am ready for beastmode.  Smile  I hear a kettlebell calling me but right now, no one is home.  This is really hard for me.  Tendons take a long time to heal and I have to be careful, I see the doc on May 13.  Word of the week is "Valor."

" />
courtesy of Life in the Day of a Runner

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:41 pm

Louise, just keep that proper balance of persistence and common sense and you'll be fine. You are definitely making progress.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:51 pm

Better keep the Beast in check a little longer Louise!!!

I'll bet your running will improve after a few more of those not so fun runs, at least that's how it works for me.

It's great to see your progress!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:21 pm

I'm happy to see you are progressing with this. My wife was scheduled for extensive rotator cuff surgery on the same day they ended up putting my pacemaker in. She has never rescheduled and has no current plans to do so

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi Louise!

225 push-ups for the week!!! WOW – I can’t remember the last time I did a push-up!!! Sounds like you’re getting there, even if the running is not there quite yet – it’ll get there. You’re doing exactly what you need to do – keep at it because one day everything’s just going to fall into place for you and this whole process will be a distant memory!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Thank you all for your responses.  I have some questions for the PT this week, #1 is it too early to do forearm planks for my core,(not sure how much stress I can put on my shoulder) #2 how much weight can I carry with lunges, and #3 when can I start dips?

I know, you can stop shaking your heads.... Laughing Beastmode is in check.  Rachel, I do my pushups in sets of 10 or 15 depending on how I feel that day, I'm aiming for 60 a day, we'll see how that goes. I was tired on Sunday, did not do a whole lot of anything.

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:53 am

LMRun wrote:

I know, you can stop shaking your heads.... Laughing Beastmode is in check.

Well, maybe sort of Smile....

The edge is a good place to be, just be careful!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:37 pm

I'm with Rachel.......can't even think if I ever did a push up. Maybe back in high school.
Doing as many as you are, is pretty amazing.

Just keep taking it slow. You don't want to screw anything up by trying some feats that may not be good.

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:17 am

trishb wrote:Just keep taking it slow.  You don't want to screw anything up by trying some feats that may not be good.

Absolutely, I am being very careful as I progress.

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:55 pm

I have clearance from PT for returning to my normal routine with working out and weights as I did before my surgery, the only thing I am not to do is the dips, that's a full 6 months wait because the stress of it will be right on the surgical site, I am happy to wait even longer than that.  Weights for now start at 5 lbs and work up to 10 lbs with lunges, all others work up to 10, better to do lower weights with more reps. Right now my bicep/tricep exercises at PT are at 7 lbs with no issues.  PT said that she does not think the doc will continue my supervised PT after the 13th because I am doing so well and I did a lot of different things before, it's just using common sense as I move forward. Forearm planks are also a go, those will help with stability in my shoulders in addition to core.  

Now I can mix it up as to how I feel on any given day and have a great variety.  So glad to be at this point in my recovery. Smile

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:11 am

Excellent news!!! See??? No time at all....you'll be back full swing before you know it!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:35 pm

How is your running coming? Pretty soon it will be too hot to run down there.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:02 pm

twal wrote:How is your running coming? Pretty soon it will be too hot to run down there.

Not as well as I would like, I am going to run on Saturday morning, see how it goes, it will be slow, but hopefully I can go at least 4 miles.  When it gets too hot, I may switch to mornings before work like I did last summer.  Hopefully won't see any snakes although I saw one a couple weeks ago when i was walking the dogs, a rattle in the road, small one.  

My neighbor across the street killed a rattle on his sidewalk, at least 15 inches long, was not big and round.  It's that time of year! You definitely look where you are going and before you step into the garage.  We put those glue strips down for critters and we caught two rat snakes, maybe 12 inches, Dave had to put one out of its misery as it was still struggling when he found it.  We have since blocked the access at the bottom of the garage doors, these snakes are not poisonous, they eat frogs and rats.

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun May 03, 2015 8:29 pm

I hope that Saturday run went well Louise!!

And no snakes affraid

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum