heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Bill's Journal

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bill's Journal

Post by RoadKillBill on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:51 am

Marc and Echo have been keeping us updated with ongoing threads and I have found them interesting. Also they are similar to the "journal" concept that is used on other forums. We're all pursuing our own paths to physical and psychological wellness in the face of heart disease, so I decided to start my own thread of activities and (more modest) ambitions on the chance that others might find the content helpful and/or interesting as they try to dial in a heart-healthy lifestyle that suits their personal circumstances. FWIW.

I also changed my user name to I title I earned when I did the Bourbon Chase with the aforementioned guys and other HEART gang members. We agreed to keep individual score on our "road kill" counts - i.e., the net number of people we dropped during our respective running legs. I lost big - 25 to nothing Embarassed It was nevertheless a great adventure and I am grateful to Echo, Marc, Louise, Lindy and Dave for picking up my slack.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Annual Checkup Results

Post by RoadKillBill on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:39 am

I just had my annual physical.  My body mass, blood pressure and lipid profile have always been pretty good, but this year I had the lowest total cholesterol ever.  Coincidentally, I have gotten very close to being a vegetarian.  I'll eat meat if I'm a guest at someone's house or if I'm at a restaurant and there's nothing else available, but otherwise it's all veggies and some occasional low fat dairy or eggs.  I know some recent articles have concluded that saturated fat is no longer seen as the villain it once was -- and that it's OK in "moderation" -- but I am planning to stay the course.

Low-skill vegetarian cooking has become one of my new hobbies.  I have been borrowing heavily from Mediterranean and Asian traditions (no doubt in a way that many would find appalling).  I don't think anyone will want me to author a cookbook or start a TV show, but I'm happy to share recipes if anyone is interested.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Re: Bill's Journal

Post by trishb on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:29 pm

That is cool that you are starting a journal. It is always great for anyone to be able to look back and realize how far they have come.

I tried the vegetarian route for about a year, but weeds and seeds just did not fit my lifestyle. And I can't say that I felt any better.

I'm with you on the saturated fats. Atkins sort of proved that increase saturated fats did not have any effect on cholesterol. But I still can't think how adding lard to my diet could possibly be healthy.

Good luck with the journal!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:02 pm

RoadKillBill... That is TOO funny!!  

Great idea starting a journal Bill, I always enjoy following the progress as well as the adventures and antics of our friends here and I look forward to yours. You've been really serious about your diet and fitness for a long time now and those test results show it...                                                                                                                                                        

I think I'll dust off my old journal and start posting to it more regularly too. It always helped keep me on track and I learned a lot from the input I got.

Last edited by Dave Tuttle on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:08 pm

Roadkill!!!!

Thanks for jumping in the journal bit Bill. Looking forward to hearing of your adventures!!

I am with you on the vegetarian diet. No need to make it hard line, but just make better choices when they are available. I am now 2.5 years in and feeling good with my decision and plan to continue the rest of my life unless more info in the future shows something else better. We are all on this journey together.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:01 pm

Looking forward to following your journal. Smile

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:43 pm

Great idea about going mostly vegetarian - I've been one for over 20 years....but you can be a 'bad' vegetarian (like me sometimes) if you don't watch what you eat..."hmm....chips & beer don't have meat in them...." I've made whole meals doing that before - not good!

Looking forward to your journal!!!!

Remember - leave the Road Kill on the road - not on your plate!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:46 pm

R.K.Bill, I'm also looking forward to keeping tabs on you via journal entries. Hope to meet up with you and your lovely training partner sometime this year.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:30 am

Spring is taking its time to arrive in my neighborhood, but there are opportunities to ride our salt bikes and we're seizing them. It will take a few more weeks yet to reverse winter's deconditioning, but we're well on our way. Reconditioning is a familiar springtime ritual in our household; I would probably be severely demoralized by current performance capability if I hadn't been repeating this cycle for the past several years. I'm anxiously awaiting that drenching rain storm that washes away the road salt and allows us to ride the good bikes.

As I've gotten older my activities have involved replacing "working out" with cardiac rehab and physical therapy. Oh well, whatever it takes to keep the old junker running. PT is good stuff but it's wildly impractical and expensive for an old guy to seek out professional dx and tx every time one of his parts hurt - he would end up unemployed and broke - but I found this wonderful alternative:

http://askdoctorjo.com/

I get that amateur self-diagnosis and self-directed treatment is a poor substitute for the real thing, but it fits the budget and schedule. So except when my body is severely jacked up, I will turn to my newest Internet hero. cheers

Oh hey, I just noticed some of these cool (new?) emoticons at the bottom of the menu:

:Heart Surgery:

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:53 am

RoadKillBill wrote:
As I've gotten older my activities have involved replacing "working out" with cardiac rehab and physical therapy.  

Seems like that for me too Bill... It ain't pretty but I'll take it over the alternative!

That Dr. Jo site looks good, Thanks!

I found those new emoticons and added them to the stock ones. If anyone finds others they would like added send me a link and I'll try to include them.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:01 am

RoadKillBill wrote:Spring is taking its time to arrive in my neighborhood, but there are opportunities to ride our salt bikes and we're seizing them.  It will take a few more weeks yet to reverse winter's deconditioning, but we're well on our way.    

http://askdoctorjo.com/

Sounds like you are on the road back too!  Are you back to running?  PT can be expensive, I looked at my EOBs, thank goodness it's covered by my insurance.  I checked out the link, neck exercises, I'm already doing what is recommended so I'm in good shape there.  I like the running heart emoticon too, it could make a cool T-Shirt!

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:04 pm

I hope you see spring soon!

When you have a similiar avatar as me....you can call yourself old. Rolling Eyes
Until then, keep on doing what you can!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:23 am

Snow is gone, the worms and toads are out, and only a week or two before the trees start to sprout some new leaves. The road salt is gone so I got out my new touring bike that I bought just before winter. We did a 70 mile ride on Saturday and I was pretty tired by the end -- and might have overshot the mark at dinner. I have to kill a few more nerve endings in my @ and regain some leg stamina, but I should be in decent shape by end of the month.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:29 pm

You didn't tell us about the new bike Bill... What did you get? Pictures please! You must have been itching to get out on it all winter!

That 70 miles had to hurt even on a shiny new ride.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:03 pm

I just got my road bike out this past weekend for the first time this year. Took my old and " heavy" hybrid to Florida in February, but this was my first outing on the road bike. Nowhere near 70 miles but I did run afterwards.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Yes, pics please, the saying is "this thread is useless without pics".  Love the @ statement, LOL. No doubt you will be in great shape in no time!

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:14 am

LMRun wrote:pics please, the saying is "this thread is useless without pics".  Love the @ statement

I don't need any more pics of my @ on the Internet. Embarassed   Find the existing ones or use your imagination. Razz

The bike was a bit of an impulse purchase, but $500 for the year-end model closeout was too good to pass up.  My old 1996 Trek hardtail mountain bike is becoming a money pit and not working that well using currently available replacement components.  This new one should last through my retiree bike adventures right up until assisted living.

http://www.rei.com/product/807245/novara-safari-bike-2014

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:25 pm

That is a nice ride!  I like it.  Did Mrs. RoadKillBill get one too?  I clicked on the link, they have already upgraded this bike.  Just like cars, computers and running shoes, as soon as you walk out the doors they upgrade the model, and your shiny new bling depreciates.  

I was talking to a guy who does tris, those bike shorts can cost $130 and up.  Nothing cheap about keeping fit but you have to make that investment to feed your passion.

You have great passion!  Very Happy

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:08 am

RoadKillBill wrote:

Sweet

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:55 pm

We got impatient waiting for spring so we went to southern Ohio for a few days to ride some the excellent bike trails. We spent a night near Cincinnati and got a chance to meet Mr and Mrs Echoguy for dinner. It was really great to finally enjoy some spring, even if we had to travel to do it.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:45 pm

Good for you! If you want warmer weather, I know a city in TX that is already reaching in the 80s and 90s.

LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Fri May 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Great to find a way to get some exercise in. Even better to meet up with a member in the process of doing so!

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun May 03, 2015 7:58 pm

Great that you got to see Brian and Martha while you were escaping winter Bill... It finally broke into the 70s here in my part of the frigid north and I'm liking it.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Tue May 19, 2015 9:31 am

We took a trip to Illinois to visit our lad and decided to check out Starved Rock state park in the north central part of the state.  What a surprise!  Drive through the cornfields into a wooded area and suddenly find yourself surrounded by cliffs, canyons and waterfalls.  We visited in between rain storms so it was great for waterfalls, but muddy.  Waterproof hiking shoes are a wonderful invention!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed May 20, 2015 9:04 am

Great pictures Bill... It looks like you two are really enjoying yourselves this year!

I'm going to add Starved Rock to our list of places to check out.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum