heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Bring in Spring 5K

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bring in Spring 5K

Post by EugeneRunner on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:39 pm

With a major foot surgery coming up this Monday (March 23rd), I had run my last hurrah race 2 weeks ago. But then I ran across this Thursday evening road 5K, so decided to do one last race. I haven't been training so I knew my fitness was already declining rapidly from 2 weeks ago. But even if the surgery goes well, it might be a year before I'm back to racing again. Plus you never know if you will come back from foot surgery at all, so I didn't want to pass up the chance to do one more race.

For the last day of winter, the weather was amazing, and actually uncomfortably warm compared to what I'm used to recently at 75 degrees. This wasn't a huge race, at less than 100 people, but there were a few guys who I figured might give me a challenge. I went right to the lead, and a couple runners stayed close behind early on. But then I began to open up a gap. The mile was 5:11, which was quite fast but I was feeling great so I thought maybe I could hold that. I only slowed a little to 5:15 for the second mile, but I was fully anaerobic by that point and really struggling. I actually considered dropping out, but I had a pretty big lead. I've only dropped out of 2 out of 600+ races I've run, and both of those were extreme cases. Certainly you don't want to drop out while leading!

The last mile was pretty ugly, and it felt worse and a lot slower than the 5:26 split indicated. An attempt to sprint the last 0.1 failed, as my legs weren't really working anymore. The final time was 16:28, one second slower than last year's season best. 2nd place was 17:50, so I ended up winning by a comfortable margin. It seemed everyone struggled the last mile.

Now I'm targeting January 1st, 2016 for my next race, a 10K I typically run to kick off the new year.

Back to top Go down

Re: Bring in Spring 5K

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:54 pm

That's just phenomenal EugeneRunner!!! What kind of race could you have run if you didn't need foot surgery?

Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you're doing... There are several of us here who are currently recovering from injuries and surgeries so maybe we need a rehab thread to help keep us all from going completely crazy bounce

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:05 pm

I am so glad you got that one last race in before the surgery.

That is a long recovery period, and hopefully you will be running fast and longer in 2016!
In the meantime, maybe there will be one person on this forum that I could beat. Smile

Best of luck with the surgery. Keep us posted.

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Good luck with the surgery.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:22 pm

Those are amazing times. Can't imagine what they would be like with training. Good luck with surgery tomorrow.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum