heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Global Heroes 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Global Heroes 2015

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:58 pm

We want to be sure you all have this information about a great program that several of our members have participated in... Advice and help with the application process will be available from past Global Heroes here on the HEART forum.

Dear Global Hero,

Through the Global Heroes program you have shown the world that people with chronic, life-changing conditions can still live full and rich lives. Together we can continue this wonderful tradition by sharing more stories like yours.

We are currently accepting applications for the Medtronic Global Heroes team of 2015. As a Medtronic Global Hero, you are a premier ambassador for this unique program, and we encourage you to issue a personal invitation to potential team members.

Starting March 16, applications may be submitted online at www.medtronic.com/globalheroes - this year’s deadline for applications is May 1.  Once again, each recipient will be awarded two entries to either the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon or the Medtronic TC 10 Mile and a travel package that includes airfare and accommodations for the Global Hero and one guest.

We are especially excited to be celebrating our 10th anniversary of this world-class Global Heroes program as well as our title sponsorship of the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon.  Stay tuned later this spring/summer for further information on how you as alumni can engage in this year’s program!

Thank you for your help,

Rich Fischer & Cory Gregory

Medtronic Philanthropy

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Re: Global Heroes 2015

Post by BA on Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:44 pm

I posted this previously, but this looks like a great place to post it again:

It truly is a very special weekend and I feel very lucky to have experienced it.  That being said, I want you all to have this experience as well.  I know the frustration, first hand, of having your application declined, 3 out of 4 years for me.  So in light of all this, a few things come to mind that may spark some food for thought for your next application.  

I would start with knowing who you are applying to.  The Global Hero program is largely a product of Medtronic Philanthropy, who promote the missons of Medtronic founder, Earl Bakken.  This amazing company is devoted to these fantastic missions and the good that they are capable of doing.  I think we all have the spirit and a part of us that fits into Medtronic's philosophy, you just need to share that in your application.

I tried to find a quote from one of the correspondence I received from a member of Medtronic Philanthropy that really struck home with regards to the application selection process.  I wanted to cut/paste it here, but it eludes me, so I'll paraphrase.  It related that we were all fantastic athletes in our own way, but that as far as they were concerned, the running we did that weekend was only a metaphor for the difference medical technology has made in our lives.  In past conversations regarding these applications, I've heard a lot of things about athletic accomplishments and ability, but from what I've seen, the total picture of how medical technology has improved or changed your life is more important.  As an example, no matter what you search about the global heroes program, you won't see any event times posted for any of the heroes, it really doesn't matter to them and has nothing to do with what this organization is about.

One other thing that struck me and all of the other heroes was how humbling it was to be in the company of your teammates.  We only get to see a tiny portion of the hero's stories on the press release and the website, but everyone I talked to was quickly amazed that they were accepted as part of this amazing group of people.  There really are a lot of amazing stories of triumph over adversity out there in the world and I don't envy those who choose these 25 heroes each year.  If I knew it would be like this, I wouldn't have felt as dejected the 3 times I was declined.

So do some research, think long and hard about how you fit in with Medtronic and their desire to inspire others.  One more piece of advice, share what you find and your thoughts about the application process with someone close to you and ask them to nominate you, no one knows you better and that will surely show.  Good luck!  anything I can help with, feel free to ask.
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:00 pm

I was very excited about applying this year. But I'm having surgery next week, and simply won't be back to running soon enough to race Medtronic in October. So I'll be planning on going for it in 2016.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:32 am

I've had a couple of people contact me looking for advice about applying but I've never applied myself... My grafts don't qualify unfortunately...

Those who have been selected for Global Heroes, what advice would you give?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Would love to apply this year. Application seems quite daunting and perhaps intimidating. BA seems to have provided very good advice....if I am interpreting correctly, the candidate needs to explain how their story fits the mission of Medtronics....the actual running seems secondary. I would appreciate anyone else's perspective. I honestly don't know who to ask for a recommendation. Is there a benefit to a Global Heroes alumnus nominating someone?

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:36 am

Both Brad and I were Global Heroes last year - Brad's advice is of course spot on. I think this sentence sums it up "but that as far as they (Medtronic) were concerned, the running we did that weekend was only a metaphor for the difference medical technology has made in our lives."

I'll add that what surprised me during that weekend was the dedication of the engineers and scientists who develop and work on our medical devices.....they were truly special people and not only wanted to see us succeed - but NEEDED to see us succeed. When you're in their company - face-to-face - you can't hide - I saw their passion and their excitement for US - total strangers - but connected in a very special way. It was truly a meaningful experience for me.

So....I'd say if you're applying - please tell them HOW you are living your life - how are you making a contribution back to others - what were your obstacles to getting back to running and how did you overcome them. I think some of us (me included) tend to push aside and even minimize the fact that it is truly amazing that we are still here and living our lives to the fullest!!!! We are not wasting our second chances and we are even inspirations to others - AND we run!! This is the spirit of that company - certainly of the people who I bumped into when I was there.

Don't get us wrong - running IS important - because it's hard - and because we do it anyway.....but it's not how fast you go or how many records broken - it's just that you do it!!!

I hope that also helps - Good luck to everyone who applies - I'd say everyone here deserves this honor!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom price on Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:43 pm

I have to admit, when I applied in 2007, I don't think it was "competitive" as it is now. I think fewer people applied. Also, I think they have fewer requests for the marathon than for the 10 miler, so requesting GH for the marathon may make it easier to get accepted.
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by Bean Counter on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:28 pm

Thanks for the advice. I plan on applying this year and will be looking towards the marathon.
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:47 am

Thanks all. Any tips from a recommendation point of view? Is recommendation essential? Is there anything specific they are looking for in a recommendation?
Glad to hear that chances are better for marathon which would be my intended race.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:29 am

I finally got around to submitting my GH application. It gets tedious rewriting the same story year after year, but I tailored it differently to stress what y'all have been saying. I keep getting stuck on the questions about how it changed my life and how I'll try to change the world. Fact is, it didn't. It allowed me to continue the lifestyle I had and that's all I ever wanted. As for paying it forward, shoot, that was 24 years ago. I did what I could at the time, no inspiring stories to tell about it.

Is anyone up to writing a recommendation?

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:41 pm

jerseyguy, yes, do not leave out the recommendation.  Lots of competition, can't give them too much info, especially from a loved ones perspective, in my opinion.

Jack, while I would love to give you a recommendation, I strongly feel it needs to come from family or a really close lifelong friend.  You'd be amazed at what they would have to say about you.  I really think you come across too humble about what your device has done for you.  It didn't just allow you to continue a life style, It allowed you to break the barriers of device longevity and have many years of sport, art, supporting/inspiring others online and family time that, prior to such devices, would have never happened.....Get it?  Some truly fantastic individuals here and on other websites gave me raving recommendations in the past and I will never forget their efforts for a virtual stranger, but it was my wife's words that worked, despite the fact that I cut and pasted my previous year's entry word for word.  They're not looking for former heroes and doctors and such, just real stories from real people.  That's what I saw when I was there.
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:55 pm

Anybody hear from them yet?

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:07 pm

No. Not me. Can't get over how anxious I am about this.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:52 pm

The last post I saw said they would announce the 2015 Heroes in July, but I think we got our email just before it went public. Good Luck!
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:50 am

Check the dates on last year's posts. We got rejection emails June 12. You came forward about acceptance on June 17. In 2013 I got the rejection note June 6.

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:32 am

I was curious if they send out rejection notices or just the acceptance ones. Thanks.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bean Counter on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:17 pm

I did not receive anything, but the FAQ on their website indicated that "Global Heroes will be notified via email no later than June 19, 2015"
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:24 pm

Rejected again!! I think that's 7 times now. Don't think ego can take another. I have two devices, you'd think that would increase my odds???

Very frustrated with this program. Congrats to anyone who gets in.

Good news I get to see some of you in Shepherdstown this fall!!

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by jerseyguy on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:48 pm

Hey kyoung and everyone. I think you are all deserving. 7 times...wow. Hopefully will see a positive response from someone. This was my first year applying. Based on everything I heard I kind of figured I wouldn't get selected but still feel a little deflated. There is always a silver lining and that silver lining is Shepherdstown. Hope to see everyone there.

jerseyguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bean Counter on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:15 pm

I did receive a note today that says I have been selected as an alternate.....meaning that if somebody that has been accepted, then I am on deck.

kyoung-sorry to hear.
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:23 pm

Good Luck Jim, You are very deserving!!

I've read on their site about keeping Alumni in touch/involved. I emailed them after last years rejection that it might be a good idea to have alums on selection committee. I told them that people with devices might have good insight into what inspires them.

Just a thought...

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:24 pm

Yep, rejected again. Maybe they're saving me for next year when my valve is 25 years old.

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:27 pm

Kevin, Phil, and Jack, I am sorry you guys didn't get selected this year. Especially you guys that have applied year after year! I don't qualify (no device) but I have followed the program for many years and I even wrote a few recommendations but I have never figured out their criteria for selection. I am beginning to think they may have become a bit reluctant to choose too many from HEART and CA and there have been several in recent years...

The up side of it is that you can now join us in Shepherdstown!

Global Heroes is a fantastic experience but you'll always be heroes with your "HEART Buddies"

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:06 am

The field narrows even further when you consider that GH represent all different types of conditions such as diabetics, kidney patients, all kinds of neurological conditions, spinal cord injuries, people who have devices to help with muscle spasms and of course all kinds of heart related conditions.

Plus - it's global, so members are coming from ALL over the globe - it's just flat out competitive.

It is my strong opinion that we are ALL deserving of this recognition!!! It simply just blows my mind that there are so my people out there in the world who live with all types of chronic life threatening conditions, who make the choice everyday to fight and continue to live AND run despite the condition.

That is EACH ONE OF US - everyday - you're right Dave - we ARE the heroes and I for one am so very proud to be a member of this group, it is quite an honor to be associated with each and every person here.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum