heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Today at 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Yesterday at 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Upcoming schedule

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Upcoming schedule

Post by Rachel August on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Marc, hope you have a really great run at your marathon this Sunday – I’ll be thinking about you!!!!

Rest up, eat carbs, and have a blast during your race!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Good luck Marc, looking forward to your post marathon report. Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Good Luck Marc!! but maybe you should save some for Syracuse... Young Gun and Pink Shoes sound like tough competition.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks every one...I'm doing minor jog-abouts to keep the gears lubed...and enjoying the fine weather. Got my stash of GU set...lining up some second half pacers/motivators.. will eat my fill...and hydrate hydrate hydrate.

The pre race excitment is ramping up and I almost can't wait to get going.

No real expectations or target times...sure there is some hope to at least get to my previous time...but it's a race day thing...either it'll go or it won't.

Back to top Go down

Its done

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:52 pm

In at 3:50..which for me is none too good...but given where I'm at training wise s'ok.

Knowing full well that I didn't have the legs for the "Full Monty" (so to speak)...I threw caution to the wind...which was steady@10-15 from the NE...and cruised through my old neighborhoods at stupid pace....But I was having fun!!!....The first half is well populated and even on the coastal sections there were people ringing bells and in general having a good time....

Knew it was going to go badly at mile 8 when the glutes started barking...oh well...it was expected as they have been tempermental since forever... I told them to quit whining and bargained for a more rational pace...got in the first half at 1:43....which was pretty much what I had hoped to do.....for you mathematicians you can see how poorly the second half went.

Support team was all over it...pumping me up. Had a friend pick me up at mile 19  stayed with til mile 25...(lemme you tell I was one depressed runner...with out him DNF was a real consideration)

I had sporadically upped my pace in sections...mostly the uphills as they are easier on my legs than the downhills...but when my buddy headed  back to his car and the rest of his day...I was left to a gentle downslope all the way in...had a little trouble with the uneven road surface...(road is in the middle of re-construction) but was able to at least look good in the final mile...no shuffling actually striding.

Didn't qualify for the Med Tent...thats a good thing....and plotting my next strategy   (uh can we say core work and upping the weekly mileage?)

I'm all over Syracuse...as long as I don't go over 14 miles...are ya hearing me Hugh????

the edit/addenda/context
Results are in...and apparently this is a tough course...winning time was 2:48...not that impressive time wise so I take some solace from that...O/A I finished 171st...18 for 86 age group.
While enduring the event I swore I would never run this distance again...but now...I can't turn my back on it....just one good outcome is all I need...I hate being owned by a race...Next target run..Martha's Vineyard 20 miler in February.

Some lesson's learned in this event...beyond the adequate training (like duh dude)...hydration management was spot on...GU and like supplements are hazardous to your emotional health...Need to reread Jurek and consult with our resident guru's on this matter.

Last edited by Marc Thayer on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional factoids)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:06 pm

Congratulations on a strong finish. You did well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Marc,

I know you’re disappointed that you didn’t hit your goal, but I do think you did very well considering – as you say  “not having the legs” for this one.

I’d still give up my spleen…….my tonsils…..AND my wisdom teeth (still have mine) for a 3:50!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Congratulations on a solid effort Marc... They can't all be as great as we hoped for and in my book any Marathon finished is a good one!

See you this weekend!

BTW, my spleen is still on the table too.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:07 pm

Some days you just take what you can get.

I'd love to just do a 1:40 half.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:41 pm

I hesitate in posting this...because I appear to be a serious whiner .....but here goes anyway.

The original entry on this thread listed four races, three of which were also part of a series...The UHC Triple Crown (half marathon)...Prov/Jtn/Npt. I did the first two halfs...and the full in Newport.

I didn't figure that they'd count the half split in determining the winner of the series....and from last years results and the first two race results I really didn't consider that there was any chance for getting in 'the hunt' ( I had calculated some ridiculous time that I knew I wasn't going to get close to unless there was a change in the planetary orbit).

I ran the full...and went back to training.

I am splitting time these days between my work place and my home place...one of the excuses for not properly training (my cheese has been moved!!!).

Upon arriving at home sweet home...there was a package addressed to me on my desk. I didn't recall ordering anything from Amazon or EBay.

A tee shirt. From the series sponsor. some discount cards...ten dollars off next years series registration.
"WTF" crossed my mind.

No...a discount card because I am the age group winner for the series. 50-59 AG...I'm 59.

So. Hmm. What does this accomplishment mean, if anything? Big fish little pond? ...Not really my point even if it is true.

No the real story is you guys (gals) that constantly pick me up after my disappointments.... that get me back to what I love...to just get out there and do it...because I (we) can..to use the gift we've been given..the gift of movement, of competing (even if mostly against ourselves) and once and a great while....coming in first (this is the first competition I have ever won).

Thank you all.

For any one mildly curious...cumulative time was 4:58:54.....

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:56 am

Congrats, Mark. Maybe the first, I'll bet not the last. Well done.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Congrats Marc – very happy for you - this is very well deserved! Very Happy 

Plus all the sweeter for you that you’re at the top of your age group....now go find your cheese!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Nice little jaunt thru the park this AM. A half that was run for the first time. Course got a huge last minute reconfiguration so I didn't really have a game plan (more moving cheese).

In at 1:42..or so. I socialized for the first couple of miles...had my HEART shirt on...people were curious about that..so a little 'in race' marketing.

Had hoped for 7 and a third splits but really was all over the chronometer on that. Ended up @ 7.5's..as an average.... after social hour.
Obviously going to have train with Tom....to learn consistency....Some quid pro quo oppurtunity there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:14 pm

Nice run Marc!!! I don't know....I'm thinking you're still 7 and a third min man.....social time doesn't count.....

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:03 pm

Ty Ms.R...Gotta couple of shorties comin' up...see if I can't get my groove back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:24 pm

Just saw that AG win Marc... Nice!! Pretty darn respectable Half this AM too... So, what are the shorties you have on the calender??

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Gottem trail 8, T-Day 5 a 10K and maybe a half to wrap the 2013 season. Then it's on to the 2014 season. Toying with. XC skiing for winter conditioning. Got to get some snow first.

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Nice running. I'd love to do 7.5 for more than a mile.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:19 am

I was checking the AG winners....and the usual characters were top dogs..the 60-69 guy was runnin' 6:49s...at age 62..in fact the top 3 60+ finished ahead of me...so it can be done...and we're talkin' local yokels here...nuthin especial...mebbee a genetic twist or two...but not special. Ain't no reason we can't do the exact same thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:02 am

Local annual Turkey Trot this coming Saturday. Not planning on much. Bronchial infection last week still has me hacking a lot. Ran Mon & Tue, first time in over 10 days. I'll just make the best of it.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Pie run done (5 miler)...two minutes off last years time.
7 & and a third preserved tho. Ran with an old friend and her newbie running bud....they train @ 4 AM 4 days a week....5 before 5 is their mantra...truly inspirational.
The combination of running in the dark with 5PM traffic has always left me hesitant...I'm thinking the 4 AM start could probably eliminate most of the traffic.

On the horizon:
Dec: Jingle Bell 10K (very scenic but can be brutal breezy on the coastal sections).

Jan 1 "Hangover " 5 miler

Feb MV 20 miler

March...well y'all can probably figure that one

April local 10

May toying with a reprise of the Burlington effort (Full mary).

We'll see how the training goes.

Have a great holiday...there's no doubt that we're thankful.

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Marc Thayer wrote:
March...well y'all can probably figure that one

I hope that you are planning to run the 15k here. I just coughed up a lung in our local 10k this morning and it is obvious speed work needs to be in my future. I hope that we can challenge each other to run faster. Twisted Evil 

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:24 pm

I don't think I'm much of a challenge for you...all talk and no production.....but just maybe I can re-turn the corner and give you a decent go....15K? no half?

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Marc Thayer wrote:I don't think I'm much of a challenge for you...all talk and no production.....but just maybe I can re-turn the corner and give you a decent go....15K?  no half?
Yes. The 15k is the real race here. It has been going on for over three decades. The half was added a few years ago just to attract more runners. But, the main competition is still the 15k, IMHO.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:24 pm

echoguy wrote:
Marc Thayer wrote:I don't think I'm much of a challenge for you...all talk and no production.....but just maybe I can re-turn the corner and give you a decent go....15K?  no half?
Yes. The 15k is the real race here. It has been going on for over three decades. The half was added a few years ago just to attract more runners. But, the main competition is still the 15k, IMHO.
Hmmm. Who am I going to put my money on in Cinci???

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum