heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Dave Tuttle Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Upcoming schedule

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Upcoming schedule

Post by kcy1998 on Thu May 30, 2013 7:34 pm

A 3:40 Sad How can you live with yourself? It is amazing how one person's junk is another person's treasure.
That is a FNTASTIC! Most of us mere mortals will only dream of completing 26.2 in that time frame.
kc

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:25 pm

Ok...all of you get a big hug...I was pretty despondent...and have every excuse to forego the lacin' em up and getting out there. Your kind words swing that pendulum back in the positive direction. Honestly..I have run maybe 4 times since my marathon effort..some of it was recovery...I was pretty blown out.... some of it the commute from hell.  But today...well it was climbing back in the saddle day and it feels good.

I finally did the timeline dissection...and now know a lot more about how I ran. That was the main purpose for this race. 

I'm conjuring up a plan...and reviewing published training plans to see how I might be more efficient and productive in my training. Finding the wherewithal to effect said plan will be the dicey part.

If it's my spleen you need to achieve your goals ..you got it.

Train hard...have fun.
Marc Thayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:09 am

You're one focused runner Marc... I like that.

Glad you're back on track and working up a plan for the next one.

Looking forward to hearing how you're progressing

BTW, thanks for the hug!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:23 am

A quick update.....ran a half today...excellent conditions...70's overcast/foggy and finished at 99 minutes which is not progress but maintenance running for me (exactly what I ran in Baltimore last year).

Given my lack of training (70 miles running in 6 weeks) and that I'm not much for running in the HHH of summer I 'm ok with the result.

Hopefully my work/commute schedule will stabilize and there'll be a couple of weekday training sessions to gear up for the fall season.

Got in to the Falmouth Road Race (7miler)...a lottery pick'em so I'll be focusing on a time in less than stellar conditions...usually very warm and 13K runners on town roads...it's a bucket lister fer sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:20 pm

Good job on the half, I am envious! I am not a runner (though I try to fake it now and then), so I had never heard of Falmouth RR -- but I looked it up to see why it was a "bucket lister," and now I get it. Enjoy!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Nice half Marc, excellent conditions as well!!!

Have fun at Falmouth - what a beautiful course! - (thanks for posting that clip Bill)

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks for the video...I don't get down that way too much..esp. in the summer ....wicked traffic. Now i'm thinking it may pay to get up at oh dark thirty and give it a whirl...maybe even shoot for a sub 50 (today's endorphin buzz still workin').

BTW finished today's run 2nd in age group and 73rd o/a.

I was neck and neck with A/G winner for the first 8....he clocked a 1:36 which would have been a PB for me. I'll gettem next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:00 pm

Marc Thayer wrote:Providence half in the books.  

A relatively small race...1158 finishers. I was pretty familiar with the area as I have had several projects through the "East Side" over the years.  Some really nice neighborhoods and parks. Climatically it was excellent with overcast skies and a spitty drizzle, temps in the upper 50's.

The previous day I 'd gone out for a 'pacing run'...where I find out where my legs are at. After a slow warm up I was able to maintain middle to low 7's for about 6 miles. Felt good.

Race day...up and attem 5:30 AM  light b'fast with grains...and some Peanut Butter(it works for me and is quick) minimal coffee (about 6 oz)...16 oz of water and a banana for the drive to...about a 40 minute affair...found parking for 0$ and off to the staging area...typical zoo. Pre-Race anticipation/excitment finally kicks in.

I wiggled my way towards the front third of the start pack so minimized 'dodge'em' running to the first mile. Settled in, keeping an ear out for breathing and HR...I don't use the monitor anymore. Everything seemed to be working just fine. Checked the watch and was pleasantly surprised to see 7's. Played the mental game of 'how long can I go at this pace'...and as it turned out, all the way.

From a progress race for my full marathon effort upcoming...it was another display of lack of discipline....should've practiced steady 8's.

But racing is a special thrill. and the conditions won't be this good for another 5 months or so. I figgered it was as good a time as any to shoot for a decent time.

Chip time 1:36:36 eclipsing Baltimore by 2.5 minutes.

5th in the age group (50-59 and I'm almost 59) 116/1158 o/a....100/764 male

Of serious note was the security...full weaponry...dogs...didn't see any drones but there might have been one.  As much as I dislike display of armaments...I felt safe with this particular display. They were very attuned to security and not lolligaggin'. It's a sad day when we need this kind of presence...but felt very safe...maybe misplaced...but nonetheless that was my impression.

Finished the day by taking my better half to dinner...of course. Had a great meal...everything just right. Told the server to keep the water coming.

And now to rest...start the taper (10-15% reduction in miles)..oh yeah and work.

I am just now seeing this.  Way to go!  Yes, you better take the better half for dinner after every race!  The least you can do, awesome run!! Very Happy

p.s. I also wiggled to the front at races. LOL

Last edited by LMRun on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:12 pm

Marc Thayer wrote:Ya ...I guess I learn the difficult way..hard knocks.

That 9er was a blast!! Streams and rickety bridges...gravel roads, woods..rain, wind...roaring rivers...just got caught up in it all and blew myself out (even running 9m/m..who'd thunk?)

Saw the cardio today...got an echo in a month and we'll see how things are shaping up where it matters.

My fall marathon is a local event..running many of the same roads I've run for decades. I'm going to still give it a shot...not for sub 3...but to see if I can better manage my entire effort.

There was every indication that I should be running 3:30 ...and had I managed things better I have little doubt that I would have  achieved that...'course now I won't know 'til Oct.....a week before Syracuse.

Something to plan and train for.  We'll see if if I can focus my erratic brain to get where I want to be.

You will sub 3:30 if all goes well.  Train smart as you already have.  Years ago a great friend of mine (male) wanted to train me for a 3:30 marathon.  My best time is a 3:55, my first and I have a great scrap book of all my running events.  The plan is to make it to Syracuse and if I do, I'm bringing my "book" with me.  My best mile is a 6:55 and I have the results card to prove it.  Of course I was a lot younger then!  Very Happy  Mind over running.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:14 pm

tutt wrote:Nice race Marc. You did exceptionally well considering the less than optimal taper and yeah, I might even consider giving up my spleen for a 3:40 finish... I'd probably have to leave it out there on the race course anyway if I ran that fast.

LOL, LOL, LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Nice run. Good luck at Falmouth...it is on my bucket list too!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Marc,
A 3:40 finish will only happen in my dreams. You are amazing.
kc

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:43 am

Been a while.....training has been less than optimal.
Haven't quite worked out all the kinks with new job...but still getting some mileage in.

Review of training times shows a marked slow down, but at roughly 82% of expected race time...what worries me is the tired leg syndrome of late. I'm thinking that its more dietary than anything (having just finished "Eat & Run" ....thanks to Venkat on that score). I just can't seem to get that 'push' I want. Really hoping to get a good fall race season in but it may just be a holding pattern.

The full mary in October is not going to go as initially hoped....it'll be a massive training run.

In the short term..kiting off to Michigan next w/e for a little fun with bridges...running them not building them...thanx to the pink shoe fashonista.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Looking forward to your visit Marc - hope you bring your tow rope so you can reel me in after you kill it at the finish line!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Good luck to both Marc and Rachel this weekend!! I know this is a very special one for you Rachel and it's great that Marc will be running it too...

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:43 pm

GR and lil Ms Pink Shoe report can be found in other posts...lets just say GR is a fun town..if somewhat ummm hill challenged...a good spot to PR. The purpose of this post is to say what a positive influence this community has been.
As you may recall I was pretty disheartened by my results in Burlington. Changing jobs over the summer and finding time to prepare/train was less than optimal.
It's been hectic (but I'm an adrenalin junkie so it fits).

Having kited off to GR to run with Ms.R was intended to be nothing more than lending a hand...but really turned my latest push training wise.

I hadn't done any long runs since May...and my next full is just around the corner....the logical side of my brain was somewhat alarmed by my lackadaisical approach.

So after a schweet ten with Ms.R I scooted for another 7..placating the logic portion. Time was a bit dismal..but at least I got some distance.

Followed that up the next Sunday with a rather whimsical 2 hour jaunt. Whimsical in that I had no idea when I left the house of where I was going or when I'd be back.

All good no?...well...yes and no. Yes on the distances...no on the pace.

Laced 'em up this week after work....by happenstance joining up with a small group of runners....a very determined group I must say...and right off the bat I'm running at a pretty good clip. I took a right and they went left...but WTH...lets keep this 'clip' going the little imp on my shoulder sez....and if that pesky fella didn't turn out to be giving me some fine advice.

Took a full minute off my usual pace. But then again..twas a mere 5 miles.

Got home for the w/e knowing full well that this is probably the last of any big mileage (lesson learned in Burlington..taper means taper)...laced 'em up and hadn't a clue where I was headed. Immediately dropped into my new pace mode...and pushed...ramped it up by another 15 seconds/mile...this time for 10.5 miles. Got back to my driveway at sunset...twas a glorious fall day here in NE.

Being so full of positive vibe...I took a look at my May result. And you folks are spot on with your analysis. Yes I didn't do as well as had I hoped...but 597 / 2622 overall and 12/94 age group...what am I whining about????

So I go into this upcoming marathon..with reasonable expectations...like just finish. It'll happen. There'll be plenty of folk to run with..we'll all shake out after a couple of miles...and I won't worry about it.

I know I have some 'push' in me and when I need it it will be there.

Thanks for all the support and see a bunch of ya in Syracuse...Team 2 is definitely taking this years top dog award.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:34 am

Team 2 – top dog award?!?!?! – I don’t think so……. unless of course there’s a hill or two on my leg - LOL

Your running is seriously inspiring – a full minute off – WOW! Also really glad to hear that you’re doing the taper.....so.... although it sounds like fun - no more whimsical runs....until after!!!  I’ll be thinking of you on the 13th!!!

Our community is pretty spectacular – thanks again for all your help – running with you is definitely fun!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:25 am

Good luck in your upcoming Marathon Marc!! I've got a hunch you'll do pretty well.

This IS a great little community we have here without a doubt and I'm pretty thankful for it too... Syracuse is gonna be a blast!!

Team 2 has some darn good runners on it but "Top Dog"?? I don't know about that, I heard Team 1 has a young gun who's faster than any of us... Shocked

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:54 pm

[quote="tutt"] Team 1 has a young gun who's faster than any of us... Shocked[/quote]
Not to worry, I can offset any speedster. When you hand off to me, don't set your watch, just get out a calendar.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Sumorunner wrote:
tutt wrote: Team 1 has a young gun who's faster than any of us... Shocked
Not to worry, I can offset any speedster. When you hand off to me, don't set your watch, just get out a calendar.
HAHA - VERY funny Jack - yeah - you and me both!!! Doesn't matter though - purpose is to have fun - which we're doing already!!! Plus we've got the young gun.....it's all good!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Ok..I said one thing and did another. Now I begin the taper. Eating big and running small.

Hit the trails today and knew I was going for a last blast at distance. Legs felt fine.

First 5 on trails...always good for keeping the pace slow...then roads..with a number of opportunities to cut off back to Casa Columbia...ego said no...lets go big... got in 18+ and now the true taper begins.

Should've switched the runs from last Sunday...but...I'm not worried...legs feel fine...tomorrow maybe a different story but I'll bang a sluggy 4 or 5 and keep the rust off.

Young Gun on Team 1 eh?...Bring it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:40 pm

Are you really tapering now Marc? I hope so! Save it for this weekend.

Good Luck!!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Really...really... backing off...for Syracuse.....(Young guns hummppfff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Oh - it’s on Thayer! LOL

Got a great team – got young gun….and I’m breaking out pink shoe! (I know…..not much of a threat) – but we’ve got the YG!!!

You know anything can happen….should be interesting!

You just continue to focus on THIS weekend….never mind next weekend!!!

See ya there

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:55 pm

LOL, some competitiveness here.  Will be bringing my running gear, I can go for a run on Saturday morning while you all taper!  

Rachel, love the pink shoe.  I bought a new pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, they are purple with green laces.  Cool:star: :cat: albino :geek: Sometimes it is about the color.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum