heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Dave Tuttle Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:10 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Upcoming schedule

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Upcoming schedule

Post by Gary E on Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:32 am

GEEZ, I had never heard of anyone vacationing in Iceland before (and only knew of the place because I used to book transportation for USAF servicemen there in the late '70's...when I was stationed on Guam). Now you, Rachel, and another friend of mine have all made trips up there in the past month!!!  Perhaps I should invest in real estate for lodging up there.  Oh, never mind, I think that requires actual capital to do such.

...oh, and BTW, I'm really envious of your running times, so I'd better get serious for when we finally have that face-off.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:03 am

Following that lead in..and broaching the subject of "Stupid Stuff Happens" two hours after plinking down the registration fee (on-line) I whacked my foot on the closet door ...might have actually broke a toe...the one I use in yoga to flip-off the instructors when they try to talk me into some impossible pose. I know..it's a rare talent. I'm sure you all are in awe.

Still got a decent run in betwixt the rather substantial rain drops in some retro 'motion control' kicks I had on (trying to protect that throbbing toe ya know...a bit like closing the barn door well past the cow's departure).

Tempo'd a quicky 4 and overalled in the high 7's. Might yet get back to 'Seven and a Third' Thayer status...maybe.

And yes Gary....we will see you in Kentucky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:32 am

Marc Thayer wrote:the one I use in yoga to flip-off the instructors when they try to talk me into some impossible pose. I know..it's a rare talent. I'm sure you all are in awe.

LOL, Dave heard me laughing from the other room. I hope the toe is getting better.  Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:04 pm

Marc Thayer wrote:might have actually broke a toe...the one I use in yoga to flip-off the instructors when they try to talk me into some impossible pose.

Still got a decent run in betwixt the rather substantial rain drops in some retro 'motion control' kicks...... Tempo'd a quicky 4 and overalled in the high 7's. Might yet get back to 'Seven and a Third' Thayer status...maybe.

Truly a man of many talents......"toe flip-offs" --- "high 7's" - (even with a potentially broken toe) - Hope you heal soon so you can get back to giving discreet toe gestures to your yoga instructors.

Oh yeah - stay outta and away from the closet Thayer.....seriously!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Closet Cases

Post by Gary E on Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:36 pm

Rachel August wrote:
Oh yeah - stay outta and away from the closet Thayer.....seriously!

WHAT!!!! He was "coming out of the closet"?

Some things are better not discussed in this forum, but surely you meant something like what my youngest daughter used to do when she lived in Manhatten (see http://www.hgtv.com/carey-evans/bio/index.html)
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:29 pm

Well, yes, I was coming out of the closet as I recall....presumably if one goes into a closet one must come out of it.

I would think that even Gary has had such a commonplace life event, unless of course the most wonderful Mrs.E has been laying out his clothes all these years.

Based on his profile picture, I think not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:50 pm

Well ...another one in the books. Our jaunt off to the far regions of Fundy is done. A pleasant enuf trip with a mildly amusing jog-a-mathingy through the various 'hoods of Saint John NB.
There's never enough time top do what any new place has to offer, so it was for the Thayer's in Iceland and now New Brunswick. Some truly spectacular places to go and experience that we just didn't quite have time enough to get the fullest measure of. Let's leave it at if you get a chance to spend a good week at Fundy National park and the Fundy trail...do it. Bring layers of clothing tho, Yer not in Kansas.

We settled in town on Friday and walked about on Saturday...mostly to get the packet at the event HQ away up in Rockwood park (a good sized natural area just west of city center). The trails and ponds in the park were many and we only got a chance to explore the 'common' areas..read well developed. Whilst picking up the bib a large scale course map was on display....confirming what I already knew. This is no course for a PR. The first 3K are down hill with a bump at 4K...to bring you back to reality. then a nice bit down by the Harbor for 4 K or so.
Crowds were pretty good and the volunteers most excellent. then across the "reversing falls"...more of a rapids than falls...then easy slope up by the pulp mill...yeah..the pulp mill gotta keep yer focus but the local atmosphere left a bit to be desired. By the turn around at 12 K I'd muckled my way just ahead of the 2 hour pacer. Splits were ok but I knew 'the big finish' part awaited so I throttled back and just maintained what was comfortable. Not exactly a huge race in terms of participants so we were pretty spread out. 40 -50 meters between us usually. The course wiggled back down to the mouth of the river with a steep pitch up onto the highway to cross back into town via the provincial Highway..kinda like running on an interstate..via the big bridge..Rather a big time deal getting the race onto that as the race director was wont to tell us about during the pre-race blah blah blah. From a runners perspective..nice enough view and certainly a firm (concrete) surface.

A couple of runners caught me lollygagging whilst crossing..but it was nice having company.

They had dedicated an off ramp to the race..part of the big time deal doncha know. which was a 'fly over" ramp so a little more up slope , then a long down slope to a hard right and up a quick 40 meters vertical..in about 100 meters horizontal...about 14 K into the race.
That's when I knew the "big finish" was on.

Ok..here we go. 7 K of here's some flat..hey here's a pitch up to refresh your memory of that elevation profile you saw yesterday.

Me and my bridge buddies are lumping along as best as we can but they seem a bit further ahead than the last pitch up..(oh my might have to let them go).

We re-enter the park and onto the gravel paths..yeah the ones with all the weird little turns and wooden bridges and up slope whoopsies..and the non participant walkers out for their Sunday morning stroll with Fido on the retractable leash.

Well OK then, that's what we're doin'.

And no..we're not losin' any elevation here folks.
"I'm done with this race" crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

We cleared the pedestrians finally and a stetch of trail/path opened up...in the shade..with a 20 meter down slope with a curve to the left at the bottom...18K in.... so I figgered to give my now close by bridge buddies a go.
two 100 meter pitches up, back on the perimeter road..I can hear the finish line PA blaring away...and I don't hear any footsteps behind me..I'm certainly not looking over my shoulder..let's see what everybody has got.

A slight down slope for the last 200 meters makes for a grand finale....10 meters ahead of the next finisher.

So glad that run is over.

RCMP's at the chute handing out water..(the race dedicated to three of their own that died in the line of duty last June). An emotional finish.

Later that day I was curious as to finishing place and all ( my watch time was 1:52:38..which is well off my past two half times), and lo and behold ..I copped the Age Group (I think there 14 of us). 70th out of 344 overall.
I didn't do as well as I had hoped..but not as bad as I thought.

Bring on the Bourbon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:45 pm

Big Guy, you write in the most entertaining vernacular!!!  I absolutely love your descriptions of the course and your mental approach to the race throughout. Congratulations on the AG win though. Wish I were there to share that experience...hardly! I'm bushed just visualizing that course. I think I'll stick to our flat and boring course here in C'bus this fall.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:46 am

Great job. That's about what I did in Syracuse on a flat course.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:12 pm

VERY nice description - I think you and Brian need to start putting your reports together!

"Pulp Mills".....I know about those - yuck!
"Fido's retractable leash" GOOD thing since you're blown by there on your way to an AG win!

Congrats!!!!

Oh yeah - we'll be expecting the Bourbon Chronicles from you and that Echo character this October!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:56 am

Great race report Marc and congrats for the AG win!!!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:45 pm

I'm joining the party late here, but great run and report!!!

Stay healthy and bring it to the Funkyteam in a few weeks...

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:11 am

Still working on the "the kit" ...not sure I have ever been Funky.

I dare not leave it to Louise to determine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:53 pm

Marc Thayer wrote:Still working on the "the kit" ...not sure I have ever been Funky.

I dare not leave it to Louise to determine.

I can so picture you like this..... lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:32 pm

hmmm....that 3AM shift might need different eye wear but I can work with that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:27 pm

Aight...It being well past Kentucky...which BTW went rather well (kudo's to the Echoman on superlative organizational skills) there has been a serious drop off on this runner's pace...what used to be 7 and third has become..hangin' at 8. '14 was a tough year performance wise ( quit yer snickering ya dirty minded trolls). Since my somewhat poorly attacked full mary in VT 2013 it has been pretty much tough for me to get back into the swing of things. Mental issues and physical issues abound.

But a nice watch free run/race on the island today hopefully signals a return to better form. Two runs (the Tday 5 and today's 10K) came in as expected...7:50 pace for both. With minimal training. The hopeful part being the legs are finally getting healthy...my glutes are a long standing issue. Today it's some lower back muscle strain (firewood splitting and stacking...but doesn't seem to adversely affect my running...just my sitting...So with naught but Austin on my horizon...and Burlington in May..a full winter of base building and intervals appears to be the program.

Now to find a good masseuse to help work out that strain.

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:18 pm

Good to see you back at it!!! Looking forward to Vermont City!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Hmm how things do change....running calendar is about to fill up...at least the winter/spring portion

The physical malaise(s) that has had me plodding ..and bitchin' and whinning.. for the last year or so are apparently in retrograde...the secret there was to actually do the lunges and the yoga, core workouts and intervals.
In as much as I detest oh dark thirty runs (my 3 AM jaunt in KY was an exception) I've transcended my abhorance of treadmills and actually put in some decent mileage going nowhere....and playing with the pace calculations (converting MPH to M/M in your head is always amusing)

So the calendar is shaping up thusly...
Austin in Feb
PVD half May
Burlington...(can't decide on that...half relay or full boat...probably full with BN as my inspiration...if not my pacer)
NPT 10 in June
Jamestown half in July.
Newburyport 10 in late July

No doubt there'll be some other jaunts...maybe a trail 10K (or half..ooofff)

There was some noise about a May relay (Tom Price are we going to try that????)

Anyway..there's the 'plan'..we'll see what happens

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:56 pm

Bumbled my way into a rather dated 20 week marathon plan (via coolrunning) and in lieu of doing the Allan Lawerence version (that got an OMG) I've started on this 'plan'. It's been a long time since I trained 6 days a week. This plan has you running a training 26 miler 3 weeks prior to the target race. I'm a bit iffy about that but lo and behold...there just happens to be a full on that date in Providence...where I was planning on doing a half anyway. So it looks like I'm going to give it a whirl. After my last marathon I was so frustrated and depressed I vowed to never run that distance again. Funny how those decisions morph over time.
A change in the June entry is trading the Npt 10 for the Mt. Washington Road Race. It's a lottery race so who knows if that will actually happen but it would certainly flesh out the B-list if we get in.

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:17 pm

Marc Thayer wrote:Bumbled my way into a rather dated 20 week marathon plan (via coolrunning) and in lieu of doing the Allan Lawerence version (that got an OMG) I've started on this 'plan'. It's been a long time since I trained 6 days a week. This plan has you running a training 26 miler 3 weeks prior to the target race. I'm a bit iffy about that but lo and behold...there just happens to be a full on that date in Providence...where I was planning on doing a half anyway. So it looks like I'm going to give it a whirl. After my last marathon I was so frustrated and depressed I vowed to never run that distance again. Funny how those decisions morph over time.
A change in the June entry is trading the Npt 10 for the Mt. Washington Road Race. It's a lottery race so who knows if that will actually happen but it would certainly flesh out the B-list if we get in.

Please let us know if you are putting together a team for Mt Washington!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:48 am

The MWRR race is fairly straight forward...point to point. The issue is transportation off the mountain when done. The minimum 'group' registration is 2 person...max at 20. However the transport vehicle (the only vehicles allowed on the road that morning) must have at least 3 runners assigned to it. Currently I have the 2 for group. A third or fourth is within the realm of possibility. Another issue is the timing. The general rule of thumb for the race is to take your half marathon time and that will approximate your finish time. Currently the 'team' has 1:25 and 1:40 time frame. To keep the traffic flow off the mountain I would expect that anybody with a sub 2 hour half time would be a likely team member.

The link: http://mountwashingtonroadrace.com/

If interested let me know.

The team is selected by lottery not the individual (there is individual registration as well..I'm not going that route).

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:08 am

Marc Thayer wrote:The MWRR race is fairly straight forward...point to point. The issue is transportation off the mountain when done. The minimum 'group' registration is 2 person...max at 20. However the transport vehicle (the only vehicles allowed on the road that morning) must have at least  3 runners assigned to it. Currently I have the 2 for group. A third or fourth is within the realm of possibility. Another issue is the timing. The general rule of thumb for the race is to take your half marathon time and that will approximate your finish time.  Currently the 'team' has 1:25 and 1:40 time frame. To keep the traffic flow  off the mountain  I would expect that anybody with a sub 2 hour half time would be a likely team  member.

The link: http://mountwashingtonroadrace.com/

If interested let me know.

The team is selected by lottery  not the individual (there is individual registration as well..I'm not going that route).

I have not secured the definitive WAF (Wife acceptance factor) quite yet, but she is aware of a possibility and I hope to swing it by putting some chores or gifts toward it to increase my banked WAF fund. Sounds like you are planning to register for the lottery for sure. Do you mind if I start another thread that is just about this race?

It is interesting that the times are about twice the normal half marathon pace. For most of us, that would be a fast hike. I expected to fast climb a significant portion of it, but do you know if it is mostly hiking/climbing rather than running?

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:56 pm

That was one finishers take. I have a query into another past participant on logistics, but haven't heard back yet. I can pose that question as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum