heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging

Post by Rachel August on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:43 am

Hey everyone – I’m going in tomorrow (2/9) for my MRI with contrast dye test….then on the 17th I meet with my NEW surgeon to discuss the results. Of course as usual I’m VERY nervous about this whole process, for one my original surgeon skipped town shortly after my OHS – don’t know where he is and not sure he left on good terms – that leaves me with my head spinning a few scenarios of what could have happened and a whole bunch of anxiety pounding in my chest.

As far as I know I don’t have any symptoms of a failing valve, but that means next to nothing considering that I really didn’t have any symptoms the first go-around (save for that black-out experience) I do notice that I’m quite dizzy lately….I know, I know I’ve always been dizzy…..I’m referring to the other kind.

So – wish me luck as I’m claustrophobic and I hate the freaking 90 minute MRI scan experience – but since I need to have these on a regular basis I figure it’s better than the CT radiation option……this is what I tell myself anyway.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Re: Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging

Post by marathonman60 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:33 pm

Close your eyes and go to Hawaii for the test.
Tom C

marathonman60

http://www.tom'srunningtoday-blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:50 pm

Good luck with your MRI.  Do they have music and headphones for you?  I had that for my MRI and it really made a difference.  Another thing the tech did was place a washcloth over my closed eyes, I was much more relaxed and did not have to listen to the banging of the magnets.  Jazz was my music choice.

You are going to be fine. Smile

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:46 pm

Good luck tomorrow Rachel... Just remember you've faced a lot worse like OHS! You're plenty tough enough to do 90 in that loud, clunking, vibrating, and claustrophobic machine!

I'm not too fond of them myself What a Face

Last edited by Dave Tuttle on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:33 pm

Best of luck! Certainly all of us are hoping the test shows everything is fine.

Back to top Go down

Just turn the tables on that machine

Post by Gary E on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:54 pm

Rachel August wrote:I do notice that I’m quite dizzy lately…I know, I know I’ve always been dizzy…..I’m referring to the other kind.

That is precisely what all of us love about you!!! You're vibrancy undoubtedly has that machine scared to death, so show it who's the boss, and just lie there thinking of all of us sending our good vibes your way.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:15 am

Hey thanks everyone for your kind words!!!! Gary - if I take all of you in with me in my mind - I'm pretty sure that machine will explode - so that's EXACTLY what I'm going to do!!!!

Side note....you all remember that fall I had about 2 months ago....yeah well I ran 7 on Saturday and I don't think that was so good...my freaking knee hurts now!!! Maybe I can convince them to scan my knee while I'm in there...on second thought - who am I kidding - why would the medical community do something that efficient???

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:41 am

Rachel August wrote:Hey everyone – I’m going in tomorrow (2/9) for my MRI with contrast dye test….then on the 17th I meet with my NEW surgeon to discuss the results.

??!!

OMG I am out of the loop! Had no idea you were having any heart-related concerns -- Rachel, I hope all goes well and you aren't looking at op #2.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:03 am

MRI - DONE!

I really focused on this one as it was happening - and I realized that the test itself is nothing - the catheter in my arm (which BTW has left a HUGE bruise this morning) - the dye running though my body filling my mouth with a weird taste - the loud noise of the machine - the holding of the breath and not knowing for how long....all that is really a piece of cake - the thing that gets me is my own pre-talk!!! Several years ago I had a panic attack under 90 feet of water while scuba diving - the dive master calmed me down right  then and there and after we had surfaced he made me do another dive....which I did without incident. My fear of MRI's is that I'll open my eyes and see myself enclosed and then freak out....but I actually don't know if that would even happen...

My other fear is far greater than this stupid test - and that's the fear of meeting with the surgeon - which brings me to Bill's comment:

Billcobit wrote:
Rachel August wrote:Hey everyone – I’m going in tomorrow (2/9) for my MRI with contrast dye test….then on the 17th I meet with my NEW surgeon to discuss the results.

??!!

OMG I am out of the loop! Had no idea you were having any heart-related concerns -- Rachel, I hope all goes well and you aren't looking at op #2.  

Bill - as far as I know I don't have any issues - this is a follow-up, I guess. I'm thinking that my cardiologist is setting me up with a surgeon so that...well I don't really know why - maybe so that I'm on this person's radar - the valve's going to fail - so maybe as a reminder to everyone involved that the valve's going to fail.....I don't know - what I do know is that I REALLY LIKED the other guy - my initial surgeon - and I'm not sure this "new" guy will agree with what he did....you know the whole "power-play" that I imagine that these types engage in. In the end I think I know that I have somewhat of a say as to who does my next surgery - which could be soon - or not - I really don't know.

Appointment with this guy is 2/17 - I'll let you all know.....

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

you didn't choose him, he chose YOU

Post by Gary E on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:10 am

Rachel August wrote:
My other fear is far greater than this stupid test - and that's the fear of meeting with the surgeon.

Nope, he's just "star-struck" and wants bragging rights for being the surgeon of a celebrity of banquet, TV, and Global Hero status. Now that you are so famous, you are just going to have to accept all the Paparazzi stuff that comes along with it. I think his next move will be to talk you into "Survivor" or one of those other adventure reality shows so that he can tag along and visit exotic settings.

Please don't abandon us on your way to the top,

Minion #47
Gary E

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum