heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Dash and Dine 15K

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dash and Dine 15K

Post by EugeneRunner on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:09 pm

After a rough week with an achilles injury, a work trip, and generally feeling crummy, I made a last minute decision to race a 15K. It roughly fit what I wanted to run as a workout, although a good bit faster. I set a goal to average 5:50 per per mile, which would put me at 54 minutes and change. Ideally I wanted to go out conservatively a pick it up, as I hadn't raced this far since the summer of 2012.

The 5K started at the same time as the 15K. I tucked in behind the 5K leader but the courses split after only about 3/4 of a mile, and I found myself all alone except for the lead bike. The opening mile was 5:38 - clearly too fast, but it was also a bit downhill and with a tailwind. I eased back a bit as there was still a lot of running to go.

In the second mile I started having a pretty significant chest pain, in the area of my right lung. Given my history, that really got my attention! I strongly considered immediately stopping, but continued on cautiously while I evaluated the situation. It was quite a bit different than my chest pain during my heart attack so I decided to give it a few minutes, which would also get me closer to a more populated area. Fortunately the lead bike was just ahead, and I figure I could yell to him if things went south. By the 2 mile mark, the pain was still there but subsiding. A mile later it was gone, and I calmed my nerves by deciding is was simply a respiratory thing. By 4 miles I had forgotten all about it and went back into race mode.

The lead cyclists dropped back briefly to tell me I had a huge lead and he couldn't see the second place runner. But in the heavy fog, I wasn't sure that meant much. Still it felt like I was running very controlled, so I was confident no one was going to catch me today. I eased the pace down a little faster, still being cautious as I still wasn't even to halfway and I didn't want to risk crashing in the final mile or two. Also given my heart history, it is always good not to push too hard and take unnecessary risks.

I settled into a grove where I just rolled through one mile after the next well below goal pace. I knew it was going to be a fast time, in spite of holding back a little bit. Into the last mile I had just a 180 degree turn, and then a slightly rolling stretch before an uphill finish.

I hit the turn and was a little confused by the arrows on the ground, which didn't make it clear exactly where I was supposed to turn around on the bike path. The volunteer standing their at the aid station (oddly close to the finish) didn't say anything and just stared blankly at me. I went to the second arrow and whipped a u-turn and was accelerating back the other way when the guy on the lead bike starts yelling at me that I'm supposed to go around the tree. I looked back and realized the course didn't just turn on the paved path, but made a turn to the left through the bushes and around a tree and then had a short cross country stretch before rejoining the path. So I made a second u-turn back to the tree, and a third u-turn around the tree, and then got tangled up in the blackberry vines. Bloodied and having lost some time and all my momentum, I sprinted to get back up to speed for the final stretch to the finish.

Just after that was a spot where multiple paths come together, with 5K runners coming in from two directions, cyclists coming from a third, and pedestrians standing in the way. I ran up on the lead cyclist as he slowed for traffic, and it was a near miracle I stayed upright and running as I dodged pedals and people. Needless to say, I'm not the most agile guy as I'm struggling at the end of a race at 5:20 pace. But I kept it together, and ground up the final hill to the finish.

Final result was 52:24, about 3 1/2 minutes ahead of 2nd. It wasn't the most competitive race, as second masters runner was over 11 minutes back.

Full splits were: 5:38, 5:47, 5:40, 5:43, 5:36, 5:36, 5:35, 5:31, 5:38 (missed turn), 1:39. Now a couple weeks of training and then probably a very large and competitive 4 mile race.

Back to top Go down

Re: Dash and Dine 15K

Post by Rachel August on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:09 am

Holy Cow!!!! Man can you run!!!!

Sorry you got turned around towards the end....I guess a hazard of being the first one there...damn!!

Great run - and so very glad nothing was going on with your heart - you handled yourself beautifully!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

amazing as always

Post by Gary E on Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:09 pm

I've run in many a poorly-directed road race, and also experienced erroneous instructions at critical points...but never the odd situation that you described by having to leave the pavement in order to loop a tree with nearby brambles. I've never run that fast either (other than that incident with a jealous boyfriend of the new girl in our group).

Also glad to know the chest pain wasn't serious, but couldn't see where you "continued on cautiously" when I looked at all the splits. You really do have the mentality of a champion. Who can really do that coming off an achilles injury, work trip, and feeling crummy???
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:02 pm

Very impressive running!! Great job dealing with adversity!

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom price on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:07 pm

And that is EXACTLY why I do not try and be the first runner.............
That and I'm slow!
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:46 pm

Tom price wrote:And that is EXACTLY why I do not try and be the first runner.............
That and I'm slow!

HAHA!!!! Yeah - that's my reason as well!!!
Plus I'm also turtle-style slow!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Gary E wrote:Also glad to know the chest pain wasn't serious, but couldn't see where you "continued on cautiously" when I looked at all the splits.

A 10 second per mile difference is a huge change in effort when you are up near the edge. The 5:47 second mile and to a lesser extent the 5:40 and 5:43 after that were the "cautious" miles. The 5:36's right after that were the result of a conscious effort to really step up the pace. So you can see there that a big change in effort from mile 4 to 5 only resulted in a 7 second per mile difference.

Thinking back on it, it was probably stupid that I just didn't immediately stop and get myself to the emergency room when the chest pains started. But I've gone to the hospital before with symptoms that turned out to be nothing, and it is a huge deal and wildly expensive. I'm still trying to sort out where the line is between being overly cautious and ignoring something I shouldn't.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum