heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Dave Tuttle Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:10 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

2015 Heart Annual Gathering Location Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2015 Heart Annual Gathering Location Discussion

Post by Sumorunner on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:41 am

For Vermont you would have to fly into Albany, NY and drive 2 hrs north. I'm near Alb., so I could pick up a couple people and bring them.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Just a couple of questions, if I may.

Post by Gary E on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:52 am

Will the votes be tallied as we go, or revealed at the end?

Can flight data, such as just provided by Jack, be available for all (or will we find that data by researching each race's website).

Are there "team" awards (based on order of finish, age-group points, etc) or are we just doing everything as individuals?

Are we permitted to bring non-members, and will they be able to represent us?

Are we encouraged to "lobby" for a particular race, or would everyone prefer to remain anonymous?

Will there be a collection taken to help cash-strapped members? (scrap that one, Linda just said she'd cover me)
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:28 am

Hmm...seems we have to set up a Kick starter for the cheeseball king (already with the excuses geez).

My vote : 1) WVa 2) VT 3) MI

Back to top Go down

2015 Heart Annual Gathering Location Discussion

Post by echoguy on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:47 am

I like the looks of the Sheperdstown race. I have been to the area on three occasions, twice to run the JFK 50 mile race, and love it. Now that I am aware of this race, I may go do it even if it is not the race that we choose.

I would be out for either of the other two. We will just be getting back from Switzerland and the Jungfrau Marathon the weekend prior to the race and will have lots of catching up to do at home.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:59 pm

I split this discussion off from the Poll to keep the poll information from getting buried.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:30 pm

echoguy wrote:I like the looks of the Sheperdstown race. I have been to the area on three occasions, twice to run the JFK 50 mile race, and love it.  Now that I am aware of this race, I may go do it even if it is not the race that we choose.

I would be out for either of the other two. We will just be getting back from Switzerland and the Jungfrau Marathon the weekend prior to the race and will have lots of catching up to do at home.

This is my favorite too Brian. All the locations are really nice but this one stands out to me in several ways. It is centrally located, the race course is both beautiful and historic, it has a full marathon, and there are lots of interesting destinations nearby. The Race Director has also been very helpful and would go out of his way to make this work for us... No worries about not getting in due to a cap.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Looks like three great candidate races. Kudos to the selection committee!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:12 pm

WV is my choice.
more than likely for me, 10K

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Gary E wrote:Will the votes be tallied as we go, or revealed at the end?

Can flight data, such as just provided by Jack, be available for all (or will we find that data by researching each race's website).

Are there "team" awards (based on order of finish, age-group points, etc) or are we just doing everything as individuals?

Are we permitted to bring non-members, and will they be able to represent us?

Are we encouraged to "lobby" for a particular race, or would everyone prefer to remain anonymous?

Will there be a collection taken to help cash-strapped members? (scrap that one, Linda just said she'd cover me)

Yes, the votes are tallied as we go. You can see the poll tally once you have voted.

Flight data is pretty easy for individuals to figure out so no, we will not be providing that... They frown on riding in the wheel wells anyway Gary Laughing

Entries for all these races would be as individuals but informal groups or teams should be fine.

non members and friends are welcome and encouraged to run as part of our group. All who run with HEART will receive a HEART race shirt to wear during the race and to keep.

Please do "lobby" for your favorite race! We want your input.

Non members may also vote in this poll but please only vote if you are likely to attend.

Gary, any collection we take up will be for Linda because of all she puts up with being married to you Razz

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Dave Tuttle wrote:

Gary, any collection we take up will be for Linda because of all she puts up with being married to you Razz

I'm on board with that one!!!

Still love ya Gary - and your questions have inspired me to write out a few things since one of the race events that’s up for a vote is pretty much in my backyard, making me qualified to provide a description of the Park 2 Park event in Holland.

Please note that my intention is NOT to advocate for this location – but rather to provide facts about this event  - because in the event this event gets chosen I don’t want people complaining about this that or the other thing.

Park 2 Park has typically about 900 – 1000 participants for the half and 300 – 400 for the 5K

Park 2 Park has a 5K and half

Park 2 Park is run on paved roads mostly through neighborhoods with a short loop in the parking lot of the Holland State Park which is the only time runners will see views of Lake Michigan during the half.

It is not a closed course – there are police at the major intersections and volunteers in the neighborhoods. Traffic during the time of the race has been extremely light and not at all a problem (this is my opinion, having run it 3 times.  I can’t give accurate traffic counts – but this is a beach community – rural and about 95% residential – residents seem to be aware of the event and pretty much stay out of the way – this is also past tourist season)

Did I mention that this area is 95% residential? That means that there are zero hotels within a 4-5 mile radius.

The official race hotel is the Holiday Inn Express for a rate of $102.00 not including tax of 11% - so like $113.22 per night. This hotel is about 3 miles from downtown Holland and about 5.5 miles from the start of the race. This is located in a highly commercialized area of chain restaurants and shops.

Although there are several hotels in the surrounding area - there are only two hotels in downtown Holland Haworth Inn – and City Flats which are both 4 miles from the start of the race. Both are about $50.00 more per night than the Holiday Inn but The Haworth offers a discount for groups – and right now I don’t know what that would be.

Downtown Holland has about 6 or 7 unique bars/restaurants (read not chains) and a lot of unique shops…..quite charming – again my opinion. It is walkable and adjacent to Hope College – my current employer.

The closest airport is in Grand Rapids which is a 34.5 mile drive to the Holiday Inn Express and a 34 mile drive to both the City Flats and Haworth hotels in downtown Holland.

Unlike Sumo  - I won’t be able to pick anyone up to or from the airport….sorry.

Other things to do in the area are – wine tours in the local vineyards (maybe 20 miles away from downtown Holland) – exploring Lake Michigan – exploring the other coastal towns in the area – and just enjoying a laid-back pretty much stress free environment that is really beautiful…..all my opinion of course - please remember that I came here from the Detroit area....so ALWAYS take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I actually like the other options better.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:45 pm

My 1st choice is WV with MI 2nd. I like that the WV option includes more distances.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by bsegall2 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:28 pm

I second the comments about West Virginia being really an interesting location. Kudos to the committee for coming up with some good options with a 5K option. One interesting angle is that the West Virginia option is just centrally enough located between the East and Midwest that it enables many not to fly. It's 4.5 hours drive for me. Regards, Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:45 am

Post by Philip Bonner Yesterday at 1:14 pm

The Bonners are in for any location.
Admin
Admin

http://heartorg.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:31 am

Hi Guys,

Well, once again I'm very sorry to say this isn't looking at all likely for me, September is just very awkward on our calendar, and I don't think we could afford to come over again in any case - we're in the US from the end of July to middle of August this year. I really hope I can get across to the HEART gathering in either 2016 or 2017 (if it is September 2016 that may be out as I'm hoping to go back to Spartathlon, but would like to know options as they come up).

On a more positive note, if anyone is around the Utah/Nevada/California area in early August there may be a slim chance of meeting up? We are running the Outlaw Run Half Marathon in Beaver, UT, on 8th August http://www.beaverutah.net/recreation/adult-programs/beaver-outlaw-half-marathon/ just in case anyone in the central/west can make it along.

Russ
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by marathonman60 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:51 am

Everyone to Rachel's house! Too many Bigfoots in WV!
Tom C

marathonman60

http://www.tom'srunningtoday-blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:34 pm

russwyd wrote:We are running the Outlaw Run Half Marathon in Beaver, UT, on 8th August http://www.beaverutah.net/recreation/adult-programs/beaver-outlaw-half-marathon/ just in case anyone in the central/west can make it along.

Russ

How in the world did you pick the Outlaw Run?

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:09 pm

I like Holland Michigan because its just a little over 2 hours from my house. Though with my running being so sporadic with injuries I wouldn't want to make an argument for a race I don't know I'll be ready for.

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by rgardad on Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:45 pm

I voted for West Virginia but am probably only 50 -50 on that. I am signed up for Ironman Maryland on October 3 so I won't be traveling to any other races during the last few weeks before that. If West Virginia were the choice I might consider staying down that way for a while and make a week's vacation out of it. If I don't make it, have fun. I should be seeing many of you in Cincinnatti.
Richard

rgardad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum