heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Dave Tuttle Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:10 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Upcoming schedule

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Upcoming schedule

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun May 05, 2013 7:16 am

Cox Providence Half May 12
KVCM Burlington Full May 26
Cox Jamestown Half July 13
Cox Newport Full Oct 13

Those are the ones I've registered for....and will fill in the schedule with a few others.
Marc Thayer

Back to top Go down

Re: Upcoming schedule

Post by trishb on Sun May 05, 2013 7:37 am

Best of luck in Providence next weekend! Enjoy!
trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 am

Looks like a great Summer you have lined up Marc... Good luck next weekend!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue May 07, 2013 8:01 am

Hey Marc,

Have fun this weekend!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Tue May 07, 2013 7:27 pm

You have a full schedule. It will be nice to read your race reports.
kc

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun May 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Providence half in the books.

A relatively small race...1158 finishers. I was pretty familiar with the area as I have had several projects through the "East Side" over the years. Some really nice neighborhoods and parks. Climatically it was excellent with overcast skies and a spitty drizzle, temps in the upper 50's.

The previous day I 'd gone out for a 'pacing run'...where I find out where my legs are at. After a slow warm up I was able to maintain middle to low 7's for about 6 miles. Felt good.

Race day...up and attem 5:30 AM light b'fast with grains...and some Peanut Butter(it works for me and is quick) minimal coffee (about 6 oz)...16 oz of water and a banana for the drive to...about a 40 minute affair...found parking for 0$ and off to the staging area...typical zoo. Pre-Race anticipation/excitment finally kicks in.

I wiggled my way towards the front third of the start pack so minimized 'dodge'em' running to the first mile. Settled in, keeping an ear out for breathing and HR...I don't use the monitor anymore. Everything seemed to be working just fine. Checked the watch and was pleasantly surprised to see 7's. Played the mental game of 'how long can I go at this pace'...and as it turned out, all the way.

From a progress race for my full marathon effort upcoming...it was another display of lack of discipline....should've practiced steady 8's.

But racing is a special thrill. and the conditions won't be this good for another 5 months or so. I figgered it was as good a time as any to shoot for a decent time.

Chip time 1:36:36 eclipsing Baltimore by 2.5 minutes.

5th in the age group (50-59 and I'm almost 59) 116/1158 o/a....100/764 male

Of serious note was the security...full weaponry...dogs...didn't see any drones but there might have been one. As much as I dislike display of armaments...I felt safe with this particular display. They were very attuned to security and not lolligaggin'. It's a sad day when we need this kind of presence...but felt very safe...maybe misplaced...but nonetheless that was my impression.

Finished the day by taking my better half to dinner...of course. Had a great meal...everything just right. Told the server to keep the water coming.

And now to rest...start the taper (10-15% reduction in miles)..oh yeah and work.

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Mon May 13, 2013 12:00 am

Nice time. Good for you. Good luck in the upcoming marathon.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon May 13, 2013 10:10 am

Wow Marc - GREAT race - well done!!!!

Have you ever qualified for Boston? Seems like your pace would get you there.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon May 13, 2013 4:43 pm

Wow! nice race Marc! And a very nice race report...

Good luck in Burlington on the 26th!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Mon May 13, 2013 8:21 pm

I have qualified for Boston in the past...and actually ran it once. That's enough for me.

Thanks for the feedback...and keep them miles a comin'...be they in no shoes very little shoe or Hoka's (google that for the ultimate cushioned shoe!!!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Mon May 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Nice work, Marc, I wonder how much of a head start I will allow you now that I know your capabilities!!!
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Wed May 15, 2013 11:17 pm

Had to face the post race mental malaise this week....a real struggle to lace up and go...my brain is baked between current job..new job (and a 2.5 hour one way commute) and keeping the miles coming..I sooo want to abuse the taper concept.

With that in mind Gary..we can start at the same time at the same place...as so often typed ..yer race and yer place.

lets see what ya got.

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sat May 18, 2013 3:30 pm

That is a very long commute. No wonder you are frazzled.

Nice 1/2 by the way! Good luck in Burlington!
trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat May 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Wow - that is a killer commute!

You're tough - still running/training through all this - give you lots of credit!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun May 19, 2013 1:37 pm

Decided on an alternating day schedule to accomplish my taper...my schedule being what it is that's about all I can manage anyway.

Grabbed 34 miles last week down from 42 the previous...more taper than I planned on...but my legs are tired. The mental malaise is in abatement..but I remain apprehensive about the upcoming event. I have always had pre-race jitters...and the anticipation/waiting for the BIG DAY is overwhelming. I try not to think about it but....

I really want to thank you guys for the support and encouragement...it has meant everything to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun May 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Marc Thayer wrote:Decided on an alternating day schedule to accomplish my taper...my schedule being what it is that's about all I can manage anyway.

Grabbed 34 miles last week down from 42 the previous...more taper than I planned on...but my legs are tired. The mental malaise is in abatement..but I remain apprehensive about the upcoming event. I have always had pre-race jitters...and the anticipation/waiting for the BIG DAY is overwhelming. I try not to think about it but....

I really want to thank you guys for the support and encouragement...it has meant everything to me.

I know what you're saying about those pre race jitters... You know its gonna hurt. It's just how much is it gonna hurt that is in question Twisted Evil

You've got the training miles in Marc and they've been strong miles. Once you've run those first few miles of the marathon you'll know you're ready for what ever it takes.

Have a great race!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Tue May 21, 2013 6:48 pm

I am running my marathon one month after yours. Give me a good time to shoot for. Good luck this weekend!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Wed May 22, 2013 9:13 am

Have a great race this weekend!
trishb

Back to top Go down

Post mortem

Post by Marc Thayer on Mon May 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Well another lesson learned. At age 59 taper means taper.
I was very aggressive during the final week...and I paid dearly for it.

Conditions were questionable right up to race time...Burlington having recieved about 5" of rain leading up to the start...and there was a steady 15-20 k north wind (the course is essentially several different loops running north south.

I tempoed a 4 miles Thursday on an eight miler then followed that up with a trail run that somehow blossomed into 9 miles ...in the rain and wind... on Saturday. You can imagine how great my legs felt. I believe WTF is the message they sent me at mile 8 Sunday. I made what apologies I could to them...plenty of water...gel packs..oranges...gatorade ...during the event...but they were pretty pissed off.

Everything went ok for the first half...hangin' with the 3:30 pace group...but even that got a tad weird...pacers were on different pages it seemed so we had about a minute difference between them...I fell off at the halfway point...and finished with a 3:40.

It's my own damn fault and I'm more than disappointed with my performance (actually my lack of common sense).

But enough of the grumbles. This was a 'progress' run for me, to evaluate just where I was relative to running that distance. Lessons were learned...not feeble recollections from 22 years ago.

I'll be dissecting this run up to get a better result this fall. Unless something dramatic happens in the next 2-3 months...I think I'll leave the sub 3 effort for another year...it's gonna take some mammoth work to get to that level.

So Brian...sorry I wasn't much of a challenge for ya. I'll do better next time I promise.
For everyone else that took the time to type in encouraging words...thank you so much. I needed every pixel to finish.
Marc Thayer

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Mon May 27, 2013 9:39 pm

Oh....it's sub 3 you are thinking about......yipes!!!.

It is easy to look back at training and kick ourself for something that in retrospect does not make sense. But, it seems ok at the time and you went with it. But, I do agree, that some bit of taper is important and maybe a little rest before the race would be wise.

Any marathon finish is a marathon finish and lots of folks would give their spleen to finish in the time that you did. Congrats for sticking it out.

What race are you considering in the fall?

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Tue May 28, 2013 10:23 am

Mark, Congratulations on the finish, regardless of the time. We all keep learning new lessons along the way and personally I'm finding out I can't make the mistakes I used to make years ago with running and training. I keep thinking I'm invincible and finding out I'm not. This aging process combined with heart issues, regardless of what they are, stinks but we have to deal with it.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Tue May 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Ya ...I guess I learn the difficult way..hard knocks.

That 9er was a blast!! Streams and rickety bridges...gravel roads, woods..rain, wind...roaring rivers...just got caught up in it all and blew myself out (even running 9m/m..who'd thunk?)

Saw the cardio today...got an echo in a month and we'll see how things are shaping up where it matters.

My fall marathon is a local event..running many of the same roads I've run for decades. I'm going to still give it a shot...not for sub 3...but to see if I can better manage my entire effort.

There was every indication that I should be running 3:30 ...and had I managed things better I have little doubt that I would have achieved that...'course now I won't know 'til Oct.....a week before Syracuse.

Something to plan and train for. We'll see if if I can focus my erratic brain to get where I want to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue May 28, 2013 5:01 pm

Nice race Marc. You did exceptionally well considering the less than optimal taper and yeah, I might even consider giving up my spleen for a 3:40 finish... I'd probably have to leave it out there on the race course anyway if I ran that fast.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Tue May 28, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm blessed that the only problem is my brain...not my body.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed May 29, 2013 11:02 am

Marc,

Heck yeah, I’d give my spleen for a 3:40! I thought you did very well considering you forgot the definition of “taper”

On October 1st, paste this up somewhere so you can see it! Very Happy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapering

That 9 miler sounded like heaven though…..I don’t blame you for getting “caught up” in it!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum