heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

The blessings of an injury …. (I mean) of several injuries!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The blessings of an injury …. (I mean) of several injuries!

Post by Rachel August on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:14 am

Most of you know that I caught a case of PF in my left heel shortly after Harrisburg – (note to self – wash feet in PA to avoid catching PF)…..  that’s a lame joke people….Okay moving on – so being as I’m pretty cheap (not as cheap as Gary….but I do okay) – I really didn’t want to spend the co-pay $$$ to see a PT for my PF – and what a surprise - it didn’t get any better that way.

One month later I found my face/head about a half an inch from near total disaster and my left knee in extreme pain after falling on a waxed tiled floor in the hospital taking my husband to surgery….yeah….big purple/green/yellow/blue bruise on the knee….really can’t run….can’t even walk type of thing.

Here’s the biggest blessing – I was injured just long enough to give my poor foot the rest it needed – saw my doctor – got PT visits – went to one - and then the snows hit and I am stuck at home…just like last winter….hopping mad…..going stir crazy….missing my second PT appointment.

And then the second biggest blessing – the snowplow guy came to my street…..and the PT place had so many cancellations that “sure – come on over – the owner will work on you” The owner and PT extraordinaire spent like 2 hours on me….explained things to me like age + gravity + repetitive motion + oh did I mention age??? Well that all equals (for me at least) that I’m twisted!!!! No….not in that way – well maybe a little in that way….but right now I’m talking about being physically twisted.

So….all this to say how happy I am now that have a solid plan….I got PF because my hips are twisted one way – my back is twisted the other way – making my left foot seem shorter than my right….so when I land on my feet while running my left has to stretch more than my right making it more prone to a PF injury. Co-pay $$$ well spent.

I love running – for all the usual reasons – you know….because it keeps me sane…because I lose myself in the here and now….because I think better…but also because I’m forced to learn so much about my own structure, how to correct it, and most importantly as I age - how to slow the progression of future atrophies.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Re: The blessings of an injury …. (I mean) of several injuries!

Post by RoadKillBill on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:09 pm

Sorry to hear about all of that. Hope hubby is OK. Good luck with the rehab.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

where do I start?

Post by Gary E on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Rachel, I have a "smart aleck" response to every single paragraph you wrote, but I'll bite my tongue and save you the time of responding to each one. Just know that I want you to be in "tip-top" shape by this spring so that we can have a legitimate duel on the pavement. That will be my "tune up" before taking on that rascal from Rhode Island.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Glad you're getting this sorted out Rachel. It sounds like that PT knows his stuff. Hopefully we'll all be able to keep our activity levels up where we want them as we age and continue to enjoy the great health we now have... I think it's really interesting that most of us here are talking about our feet and knees and shoulders that are giving us problems, not so much our hearts.

Of course that Gary is an entirely different story... I'm putting my money on Rachel even if she's still limping... That is unless there's a big package of Cheese Puffs for Gary at the finish line!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:58 pm

The first word that came to mind was sirocco re: "duels" and the like.

As a not quite native of RI... I know full well of rascalness and find it to be just short of an honorific.

Talking the talk is the easy part Big Guy.

Bagged my 32 for the week...whatchoo got?

Oh yeah...sorry t'hear about yer travails Rachel...sounds like yer back on track. (A thousand pardons for hi-jacking your thread).

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:59 am

BOYS – BOYS – BOYS!!!!

First of all – my husband is doing very well after his short 10 minute ulnar nerve surgery…. Thanks for your thoughts Bill –

Second – thanks Dave for the vote of confidence that’s awfully sweet…..but never bet on me – you’ll lose every time!

Now onto Gary…..where to begin….too bad you didn’t comment with your smart aleck responses… it’s part of what I love about you!!! Also you are MORE than welcome out here to visit my twisted self this Spring as part of your tune-up…..just remember that I promise you nothing in the way of improving your running times…..I would be honored to run with you though, if you so desired. Having said that…..I’m not so sure you really want to mess with the “young gun” from the East Coast…..he’s on a roll….

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:46 pm

Rachel August wrote:Okay moving on – so being as I’m pretty cheap (not as cheap as Gary….but I do okay)

I had to chuckle at this one

Rachel August wrote:One month later I found my face/head about a half an inch from near total disaster and my left knee in extreme pain after falling on a waxed tiled floor in the hospital taking my husband to surgery….yeah….big purple/green/yellow/blue bruise on the knee….really can’t run….can’t even walk type of thing.

Oh my, I wondered how you got hurt, I hope the medical staff came running and helped you.

Rachel August wrote:saw my doctor – got PT visits.  And then the second biggest blessing – the snowplow guy came to my street…..and the PT place had so many cancellations that “sure – come on over – the owner will work on you” The owner and PT extraordinaire spent like 2 hours on me….explained things to me like age + gravity + repetitive motion + oh did I mention age???  

PT can work very well, did they give you a boot to wear at night? Here's hoping PT brings you many pain free running days.[/quote]

Rachel August wrote:I love running – for all the usual reasons – you know….because it keeps me sane…because I lose myself in the here and now….because I think better…but also because I’m forced to learn so much about my own structure, how to correct it, and most importantly as I age - how to slow the progression of future atrophies.

Me too! Smile  I need to find out how to adjust my physical activity as I age, I still feel like a spring chicken at times, then other times...pffft.  You are going to be just fine and outrunning all of us again.

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum