heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Global Heroes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Global Heroes

Post by Rachel August on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:58 am

We just received our Global Heroes video from the amazing weekend the 25 of us spent together last October in Minnesota!!!!

I have to say that I was moved to tears when I toured the Medtronic facilities – the people who work on our devices truly care about saving lives – it was an experience and a feeling I’ll never forget and its made me think deeper about my life and how I can I do more to help another.

That’s what being a Global Hero is all about for me – helping others in some small way perhaps – but giving back – it’s so important.

I would encourage eligible people on this forum to apply.....and keep applying if you don’t get in - it is SO worth it

Having said that you all need to know that I am SO PROUD to know all of you – ALL my brave heart brothers and sisters!!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDzniHrhRQA&feature=youtu.be

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Re: Global Heroes

Post by twal on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Our hero.

This pushed me to asking them if my condition qualifies for the program.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by haggis basher on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:10 pm

You take a great picture Rachel, will have a look at your video later.
Do you know when the entries have to be in for 2015, and what qualifying is needed! I hope to do a half marathon in May, but might need to do one sooner!
At present, still trying to get my running style back. Every time i get injured or sick, I seem to loose how to run? Age might have something to do with it (LOL).
Keep up the good work.
Brian

PS: Your enthusiasm has helped me to start my LSD again-and I don't mean drugs! Shocked

Last edited by haggis basher on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding a few words)

haggis basher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:18 am

I can see why you get a bit choked up when viewing this.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:33 am

twal wrote:Our hero.

This pushed me to asking them if my condition qualifies for the program.

EXCELLENT Tom!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:37 am

haggis basher wrote:You take a great picture Rachel, will have a look at your video later.
Do you know when the entries have to be in for 2015, and what qualifying is needed! I hope to do a half marathon in May, but might need to do one sooner!
At present, still trying to get my running style back. Every time i get injured or sick, I seem to loose how to run? Age might have something to do with it (LOL).
Keep up the good work.
Brian

PS: Your enthusiasm has helped me to start my LSD again-and I don't mean drugs! Shocked

Thank you for your kind words Brian! The applications are not yet up - but you can request an e-mail notification at their website
http://www.medtronic.com/globalheroes/

I am SO HAPPY that you will be starting your LSD again (and I certainly know what you mean) - take it slow - remember the golden rule of not increasing mileage by more than 10% a week....like I've ever paid attention to that......good luck to you and keep posting!!!!

R

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:25 pm

That's a very powerful video Rachel and a really nice picture of you!

I think that we, HEART should do everything we can to encourage our members to apply and to promote the Global Heroes program and you are doing a great job!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Fantastic video, and very inspiring! Now that I'm running again, I will definitely apply this year. I'm not sure my story is all that inspiring, but I might as well give it a shot. What a great program!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:18 pm

No! Do not encourage any new members to apply. Wait. No old members either. Only I should apply next year. Just me and only me. Well, as long as I get in first, I suppose it would be all right if a couple others get in too.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:51 pm

No Sumo. You're supposed to wait until I get in. Wink

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:21 am

It truly is a very special weekend and I feel very lucky to have experienced it.  That being said, I want you all to have this experience as well.  I know the frustration, first hand, of having your application declined, 3 out of 4 years for me.  So in light of all this, a few things come to mind that may spark some food for thought for your next application.  

I would start with knowing who you are applying to.  The Global Hero program is largely a product of Medtronic Philanthropy, who promote the missons of Medtronic founder, Earl Bakken.  This amazing company is devoted to these fantastic missions and the good that they are capable of doing.  I think we all have the spirit and a part of us that fits into Medtronic's philosophy, you just need to share that in your application.

I tried to find a quote from one of the correspondence I received from a member of Medtronic Philanthropy that really struck home with regards to the application selection process.  I wanted to cut/paste it here, but it eludes me, so I'll paraphrase.  It related that we were all fantastic athletes in our own way, but that as far as they were concerned, the running we did that weekend was only a metaphor for the difference medical technology has made in our lives.  In past conversations regarding these applications, I've heard a lot of things about athletic accomplishments and ability, but from what I've seen, the total picture of how medical technology has improved or changed your life is more important.  As an example, no matter what you search about the global heroes program, you won't see any event times posted for any of the heroes, it really doesn't matter to them and has nothing to do with what this organization is about.

One other thing that struck me and all of the other heroes was how humbling it was to be in the company of your teammates.  We only get to see a tiny portion of the hero's stories on the press release and the website, but everyone I talked to was quickly amazed that they were accepted as part of this amazing group of people.  There really are a lot of amazing stories of triumph over adversity out there in the world and I don't envy those who choose these 25 heroes each year.  If I knew it would be like this, I wouldn't have felt as dejected the 3 times I was declined.

So do some research, think long and hard about how you fit in with Medtronic and their desire to inspire others.  One more piece of advice, share what you find and your thoughts about the application process with someone close to you and ask them to nominate you, no one knows you better and that will surely show.  Good luck!  anything I can help with, feel free to ask.
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:51 am

I completely agree with BA on every point. I believe they are looking for lives changed, not speed records. Also agree that nominations should come from those whose life has been changed by your changed life.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum