heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Turkey Stuffer 5K

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Turkey Stuffer 5K

Post by EugeneRunner on Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:27 pm

After very limited running for over 2 years due to a pair of foot surgeries, I attempted a return to semi-serious racing in a Halloween race but I took a wrong turn.  So I decided to race again on Thanksgiving to get an idea of where my training is at.

Based on recent workouts I figured 17:20 would be okay, 17:10 good, and cracking 17:00 would take a great race on an ideal day.  Normally I sandbag my predictions a bit, but I really wanted to go sub 17 so I decided to be really aggressive and go for it.  My running buddies who knew my heart and surgery history mostly didn't expect me to go under 20 minutes in my first race back.

My main rival in my age group told me he was going for 16:50.  But then he decided he wasn't up for a battle with me right now and he backed out of the race.  But with 1,200 people I figured I would still have plenty of people to chase.

Conditions weren't ideal, with rain and lots of slick leaves on the road.  But that turned out not to bother me once I got racing.  There were several full-time pro runners in the race, and a pretty big pack dropped me right from the start.  I started really fast, but it still took me a half mile to catch the lead women.  I settled in with 2 other guys just ahead of the women.  I knew one of them well, and he has run 15:19 this year, so I knew I was hauling compared to goal pace.  The mile marker was on the wrong corner, so I had no idea how fast we were going.  By half way, our little chase group broke apart, and I found myself running solo and struggling to hold form as I began to fall back.  I hit 2 miles in a blistering 10:39, but I wasn't sure if that was accurate.  

I ran alone until 1/4 mile to go when a guy I ran with in the first mile went rolling past me.  I have the worst kick, but I was surprised to have more in the tank than I thought I did (the result of no recent racing experience to judge effort from) so I was able to chase him.  I had a strong finish and came right up on him at the finish.  He was just ahead at the first timing mat, but I was ahead by the 3rd mat and the chip timing actually gave me the spot - 11th overall.

My final time was 16:27, which is a huge time for me given where I'm at with my training.  Only 7 seconds behind me was 2 time NCAA champion Charlotte Browning from England.

I'm now excited to do more racing, but unfortunately races are hard to find this time of the year.  So I just need to try to keep up the training through the holidays to be ready for the spring.

Last edited by EugeneRunner on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Wrong race name! :oops:)
EugeneRunner

Back to top Go down

Re: Turkey Stuffer 5K

Post by twal on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:00 pm

Wow!

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:22 am

I'm with twal on this one...Wow!!

Isn't is sweet when the work and patience to overcome injuries pays off? Congrats on a great race.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bean Counter on Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Awesome!
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Fantastic race EugeneRunner!!! I love following those of you that have managed to do so well in spite of a heart issue.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:28 pm

C, you are amazing! Great report from a truly outstanding runner...and that is without consideration of your so-called "heart condition".

Envious G
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:27 am

Amazing - simply amazing!!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down