heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Today at 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Yesterday at 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Harrisburg Marathon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Harrisburg Marathon

Post by twal on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:05 pm

Dee and I enjoyed our weekend with the Heart group at the Harrisburg Marathon. The weather turned out perfect and pretty much everyone had a great time (except possibly me).

Based on running a muddy 20K in 9:03 miles and a flat 5k in 7:53 mile recently, I figured I could run 8:30 per mile (maybe 8:20). I did the first mile in 8:25 but really had to work. Then I struggled through two 8:32 miles. On a little overpass at about 3.2 mi somebody handed me a piano and I did  9:00 and 9:32. In the 6th mile the wheels completely fell off and I ran 10:20 and I had to walk a few times.

When I finished I was exhausted and had trouble catching my breath. It reminded me of trying to run while I was in afib. So Dave and Dee walked me over to the medical tent. The doctors checked out my heart, blood pressure, pulse, etc. and said that I didn't appear to be in afib. Of course, it is possible to go in and out of afib. I never had it happen to me in race.

I'm going to follow up with my cardiologist.

Back to the positive, my relay teammates did great. I'm waiting for the official results to be posted but I think they were in the 3:36-7 range (assuming we started at 8 sharp) in spite of me. Great job John, Mark and Rachel.

Congratulations to all who ran and thanks to all who helped out. This is a great group of people.

twal

Back to top Go down

Re: Harrisburg Marathon

Post by echoguy on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Sorry you had to carry the piano the last few miles, but it is still great to get out there with the team. And glad it was not a fib. You are right. This is a great group of people. Run on twal!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:26 pm

"Fast team" kicking it in.

This showed up  when I did "Preview" but it's not showing up in the actual web site?  

Tom - I fixed this for you - thanks for posting!

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:24 pm

[/quote]
This showed up  when I did "Preview" but it's not showing up in the actual web site?[/quote]

I think that you have to hit the "host an image" first, then grab it from that site.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:08 am

Had a blast...nice course ..great weather...the bestest people.

Having lost my watch charger (hey Brian..is there a Garmin charger hanging out by your couch?) I have no idea what my splits were. The data geek in me is a tad frustrated..but it's also nice to just run and not be distracted by the tick tock on the wrist. I know the "pimples in the park" trashed my pace but the overall was about what I expected.....kudos to John and Rachel for surpassing their expectations, and to Tom for hanging in there. I know we have all had similar experiences, and the fact you bulled your way through it is awesome (your cardiologist might not agree with that assessment).

I had kinda figured that a top three place would be somewhat a stroke of luck based on last years results..and we ended up 7 or 8 minutes out of third...Sorry Dave, no amount of cheerleading was gonna overcome that differential. We'll do better next year!

Congrats to all the runners..and thanks to the indomitable support crew.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Just an amazing experience being with those who could make it.....although I'm not quite sure how or why I got in on the "fast" team - but hey thanks so much for including me - I had a GREAT time!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Marc Thayer wrote:(hey Brian..is there a Garmin charger hanging out by your couch?)

I don't see one....but I do have a Garmin charger from my 405 that I am not using. What model do you have?

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:02 pm

410...kind of a two prong affair ....clips at the back

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:12 pm

I checked on the relay results at

http://www.parunners.com/2014%20RESULTS/Harrisburg%20Marathon%20Relay%20Results.htm

Our relay teams were 4, 5 a and 8 out of 9 and the Bonner team was 33 out of 40. Our team's time durned out to be 3:42:59 in spite of me. My teamates were great.

See my other post if you want to find out what happened to me.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:51 am

Great pictures, good times for the HEART teams, looks like you all had a great time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 am

Diane and I really enjoyed the weekend in Harrisburg too even though I couldn't run this one... Everyone seems to feel the same about this group, they're just fantastic people with a great outlook. We never once heard anyone feeling sorry for themselves or their situation in any way. What we did hear all weekend long was thankfulness, forward thinking, and a determination to make the most of life. The big message we always hear is that the heart problem was a hugely positive thing in everyone's lives... You are the kind of people I want to play with not those who only see what may have been lost or what they can't do.  

We've become such good friends with all the "Heart Buddies" we've met at these gatherings over the years and even if we only see you once a year or less you are friends for life. We make several new friends every year too. These gatherings seem to draw like minded people and they become part of the group instantly like we've always known them... It's how this group works and why it's so special.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum