heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Detroit Women’s Half

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Detroit Women’s Half

Post by Rachel August on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

I had a great time in Detroit over the weekend – met some inspiring women and just really enjoyed myself! We got lucky with the weather in that the storms had just cleared out minutes before the race started so we got some sun and the dew points had a chance to go down as well…..but it was WINDY – we had 15MPH wind speeds and a gusts up to 30MPH on the South side of the island. I realize how much my lack of training really hurt me – I started out well enough but you can tell the miles when I ran against the wind (this was a course around an island in the middle of the Detroit river – we did 2 laps around to make it to 13.1) – I also have new shoes (that I've had for 2 weeks now - did an eight miler on them last week) and still got a NASTY cut on my ankle and a bruised toe from them…..so yes I walked a little at the end. I hope my feet heal in time for TC!!!

It was a fun time but seriously I’ve got to strengthen my core, or my legs, or something…..and get some new shoes again!

Someone handed me the American flag (late) during the National Anthem – that is me holding it proudly (Nate couldn’t be with me so I don’t have very many pictures of myself…someone else happen to take this one)

Oh.....and I ran into Tom and his wife at the expo!!!!! This was her FIRST 5K!!!!!

9:58
9:10
9:12
9:37
9:36
10:46
8:55
9:10
12:06
10:35
10:18
11:24
10:47
2:14

Finished in 2:13:56

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Re: Detroit Women’s Half

Post by Bean Counter on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Congratulations again. Great pictures; especially the one with the flag. Enjoy some well deserved down time.
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:39 pm

Sounds like a really nice event with some very inspiring women Rachel! You ran very well IMO but I think this one was more about the moment, the people, and the message... We're all proud of you!!!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Nice going. I'd rather run uphill than into the wind.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:57 pm

You did awesome!  Love the pic with the flag, what an honor in my opinion.  Don't buy new shoes if these ones are not broken in yet.  You'll be in the same boat with another new pair, unless of course this current pair is just not right.  Will your former pair hold up for GH?

I just bought a second pair of Brooks to break in for Bourbon, I'm taking two pairs with me.  Hopefully they'll be broken in enough that I don't have any problems.  I have one black toenail from my current Brooks, second toe left foot, it didn't hurt after the first day, I'm also wearing better cushioning socks so my feet won't slide to the front on down hills.  Dave almost gagged when I told him one pair cost $14.00, so worth it!  Smile  I have four pairs!!

Back to top Go down

Post by haggis basher on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:03 am

Well done Rachel. New shoes always take 3-4 weeks to feel comfortable - put that down to experience! We have many women's races in Australia, I enjoy watching the 'bonnie lassies' running!
Brian

haggis basher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:07 am

Thanks everyone! I was completely honored to be holding the flag - it was one of the highlights for me!!!! I also really did enjoy this event although I wished that my husband would have been there - but he couldn't make it (neither could my dad who lives in the area.....he kept coming up with a variety of excuses.....football game.....fear of Detroit....he had to wash his hair.....et.....)

So I am a little disappointed in that area - which makes sharing this with all of you and your support much more meaningful to me!!!! Plus it was super that I got to spend some time with Tom and Dianne!!!

On the shoe front - I've always worn Sauconys and never had a problem with running in newer shoes (they just don't change all that much) - until they do like this latest version I bought - now I'm in the market for another brand.

The bruise on my toe turned out to be a split toenail and I've got a huge welt/cut by my ankle.....I'll be running in my old shoes for a while - and the good news is that at least I can still run even with the abrasions!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:45 pm

That has to be the best finish photo ever. Or is that the start? There is no way you could have run a half marathon and looked that fresh at the end!

I see you also have an elite bib number!

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:01 pm

I just assumed you had won the race. Wink

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:16 pm

HAHA!!!!!

Well thanks for the super comments.....but I was just so freakin grateful to be done so I could get out of those shoes!!!!!

A pure joy moment right there!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:21 am

Rachel,
Congrats on the race. You did fine. Running in windy conditions can be challenging.
kc

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum