heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Faster Running

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Faster Running

Post by twal on Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:36 am

We all know that our Eugene Runner is a very fast runner. But did you know that he is also a computer/math wizard. Running Times magazine had an article about pace calculators in the current issue and one of those featured was FasterRunning. It turns out that our own Eugene Runner is the brains behind that web site.

http://www.fasterrunning.com/

One of the cool things about the site is the calculator where you can enter your time for a distance and it will tell you the time you should run for other distances. Try it.

The math behind the calculator is based on runners in their prime, so it assumes you have more fast twitch fibers and you slow down a lot with distance. As you get older, you don't slow down with distance as much but you really can't run very fast.

For example, entering my recent mile race of 7:34, it say I should run 2:02 for a half-marathon (which I can easily beat) and 87 for a 400 m (which I can't possibly touch).

When I put in times from my younger days (4:50 mile), I get 56 for 400 m and 1:17 for the half marathon which are close to correct.

It's a nice site. Check it out.

twal

Back to top Go down

Re: Faster Running

Post by Sumorunner on Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Nice presentation on the web page, but it's not especially new. Such calculations are available all over the web and have been for a long time. I've got some original C source code for it that I got from a guy at Bell Labs in 1990. His program was based on a math paper written in 1968 by a GE engineer I used to know, but have since forgotten, from Louisville KY.

I often use two other sites, one which gives age graded performance and the other uses both age and weight.

http://www.heartbreakhill.org/age_graded.htm

http://academic.udayton.edu/PaulVanderburgh/weight_age_grading_calculator.htm

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Sumo - Certainly it isn't new, and not even the first one I created myself. I've done versions of this dating back to the 1980's, some of which also include age grading and corrections for terrain, wind, etc. When interviewed for the Running Times article, I pointed them to the work J. Gerry Purdy, whose calculations from the 1960's turned into the classic book and software "Computerized Running Training Programs" in 1970. Running Times mentions that on page 25. But the basis for Purdy's work dates all the way back to tables created in the 1930's!

My newest calculator is based on updated data, and in theory using newer data should be more accurate as there is more depth of performance. But there are lots of variables, and there is as much art as science and math behind the calculators. One of the first questions Running Times asked me is why don't all the race calculators on the internet match each other? For the sake of simplicity, they picked three of the most popular ones for comparison, Jack Daniels', Greg McMillian's, and mine. I'm honored just to be mentioned alongside those guys.

For the record, my last name only has one "o" in it, and I went to high school in the 1980's.

To expand on twal's point that as you get older you tend to slow down more at shorter distances and longer ones, there is also the trend that as you get older you are far less likely to train for sprints than distance races. Among sprinters who train specifically for short distances, they actually slow down a very similar amount to a distance runner as they age. A bigger factor in using one of the internet calculators to compare wildly difference distances is the calculator assumes that you not only train equally for every distance, but you have the same amount of natural talent. It would be extremely rare for someone to rank the same at 400m as half marathon.

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:57 pm

Well that is just cool EugeneRunner!!!

And that is a cool last name... Any relation to Harold II of England?

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:32 am

Nice web site and calculators EugeneRunner... Very cool that you're contributing your talent to the running community!

I'm wondering if we ought to create a "Runners Resources" topic here on the forum where web sites like this could be featured. Some of our other members are involved with some really neat web sites and organizations too. One that comes to mind is http://www.coolrunning.com/ I believe our friend Bellthorpe is still very involved with that one... Is that right Craig?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellthorpe on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:33 am

That is right, I still own CoolRunning Australia.

A question for the you all. As I'm moving to the US to live, does the US need a new CoolRunning? The forums on the US CoolRunning site have about one post a day. LetsRun is far more active, but it looks terrible, and the posts are full of abuse and general nastiness.

Appreciate any opinions.
Bellthorpe

http://coolrunning.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:46 pm

I tried entering some recent times and it came up with "this calculator only works with 50k and shorter". ;-)
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:45 pm

echoguy wrote:And that is a cool last name... Any relation to Harold II of England?

My family claims we are direct descendants of poor "arrow-eye-eye" Harold II, but family trees get pretty muddy over almost 1,000 years!

russwyd wrote:I tried entering some recent times and it came up with "this calculator only works with 50k and shorter". ;-)

I have thought about stretching it up to longer distances, but there isn't good data to work from since ultra's are often run on trails and over extreme terrain, making finish times hard to work with. Even at 50K the number of quality road and track performances is relatively limited. I need to do quite a bit of research before feeling comfortable including ultra's, although it is something I have been working on. Russ - An easier solution is simply to run sane distances like the rest of us!
EugeneRunner

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Bellthorpe wrote:That is right, I still own CoolRunning Australia.

A question for the you all. As I'm moving to the US to live, does the US need a new CoolRunning? The forums on the US CoolRunning site have about one post a day. LetsRun is far more active, but it looks terrible, and the posts are full of abuse and general nastiness.

Appreciate any opinions.

Hey Craig. I used to post to CoolRunning here in the US, but several years ago it went down for some reason and I never got back to it. I don't know if folks know it is available, but I would guess most have found other homes by now and you would need to pretty much start it from scratch again.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:23 pm

I always use Coolrunning for race searches...and archival data.....never thought about any other use.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum