heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Today at 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Yesterday at 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Detroit Women’s Half

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Detroit Women’s Half

Post by Rachel August on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:09 am

In exactly three weeks I’ll be running my last half of 2014…..but my training is almost non-existent!!! The last time I ran “long” was a 10 miler two weeks ago on August 15. I’m just not able or willing to run for extended periods in “humid” weather (by humid I mean dew points in the high 60’s to low 70’s)

So my plans to run have gone something like this – hmmm…. today is cooler than yesterday so I think I can go at least 5 miles…..then I get outside and get hit by a veil of that heavy wet air and I think – hmmm….well Rachel just go slow…. and I feel okay for the first mile – second mile not so much and I have to stop and walk to cool down.

Recently my runs have been cut short like this by a couple miles or more. I end up sweating hard – feeling a little sick – and thanking myself profusely for stopping to walk. When I get home I’m always glad I gave it a shot but never quite satisfied that I accomplished anything productive towards getting ready to run another half.

It gets difficult for me when later on in the hotter part of the day I’ll  see others out there running – they don’t seem to have any problems – I know that even other heart members on this group run in hotter and more humid conditions than I do - and don’t seem to have any problems…..

So whether it’s my mind messing me up – or my valve I really don’t know – I do know that I’ve experienced a difference in how I feel running in humidity from before my OHS….  and that I don’t feel at all ready to run the D – but I’m going to give it my best effort..... this should be interesting!!!

I’m running as one of the local area heart heroes, which I’m thrilled about since I’ll be meeting and running with the other amazing heart heroes from the Detroit area – you can read our stories here -

http://womenrunthed.com/2014-heart-hero-rachel-bishop/
http://womenrunthed.com/heart-hero/

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Re: Detroit Women’s Half

Post by Tom price on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:12 pm

Well Rachel, you know Detroit has a soft spot in my heart....my step father, who was my dad's army buddy, was from Detroit.  I spent many a summer visiting the city.
I am still bothered by humidity and cold both.  I take an ace inhibitor which makes me very light headed if I get dehydrated to any degree.
Get out there, toe the line, and give it hell....you know you can race well despite what your training has been.
Oh, and you are not just a heart hero in Detroit.....you are a hero worldwide!Very Happy
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:33 am

The heat and humidity really get me too Rachel. I've limited my running to early in the morning for a long time now.

You'll rock it... The Detroit Women's Half looks like a great race for a great cause and the vibe will carry you along. Just run to the conditions and enjoy!

Congratulations for being chosen a Heart Hero, they made a good choice!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by marathonman60 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:16 am

Rachel, Everyone slows down in heat and humidity. Run/walk is the solution. It will be cooler in 3 weeks.
Tom C

marathonman60

http://www.tom'srunningtoday-blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:02 pm

Rachel August wrote:It gets difficult for me when later on in the hotter part of the day I’ll  see others out there running – they don’t seem to have any problems – I know that even other heart members on this group run in hotter and more humid conditions than I do - and don’t seem to have any problems…..

Those other runners may not be heart patients, those of us who run in the heat and humidity have had a longer period of time to acclimate to it.  Every time we step out the door it will be a good run day or a crappy run day but we got out there and did it and we can always pat ourselves on the back for just doing it.  
You'll be fine with the 1/2, maybe the longer taper you are doing now will actually give your body a good rest so you can go out there and run on race day.  Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Hey Rachel. I also have a much narrower temperature tolerance on both ends. This has been a milder summer for us, but I think that I am tolerating it better now than I did immediately post op. So I have hope that it is something that training can improve. I think you are doing exactly the correct thing. Go out and test yourself, but back off if things don't seem right. And try to take advantage of any cool day you can get!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks everyone for all your comments!!!!

I guess things for me were just going along so well…..then BOOM – got hit almost blind-sided like I had forgotten that I even had a heart issue….until I realized that OOPS….I can’t run in the humidity very well.

Brian - great advice and I do think that my tolerance has gotten better than it was even from last year – so that’s encouraging –

Louise you flat out rock it girl – I know what type of conditions you run in and I’m in AWE!!!! Keep it up (I wish you were going to Harrisburg speedy)

Tom (both of you) – I’ll be thinking about you in Detroit since I know you both have ties there.

Dave – thanks for your kind words as always.

I went for a run this morning – better results – still humid but better conditions...this is the price you pay when most of the early summer morning’s have been like 50-60 cool degrees in Michigan!!!!

Hey bring on the winter people – I won’t complain!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:30 pm

yes you will as will we all...runners are a fickle lot..."not too hot ..not too cold...just right"

BTW you'll be just fine..really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bean Counter on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:01 am

Hi Rachel-Unfortunately I don't have any decent advice as I don't tolerate the humidity as I once did. If it gets too warm/ humid, I take my run indoors. Is that an option?

Good luck on the half!
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:23 pm

Marc Thayer wrote:yes you will

LOL - You're right! I give myself until....oh about December - since winter's expected in October around here that timing's about right!

BC - Yeah, I'll have to take it inside if I can't get my long run in outside this w/e -

Thanks guys for your comments - I'll let you all know how I do - this course is on an island in the middle of the Detroit River and it's SUPER SUPER FLAT ......yes flatter than the roads around my own house....I just wanted to break 2 hours (yeah, that's actually on my bucket-list) so this would be the event for a PB..... not going to happen, but it's okay I'm pretty excited to be running it anyway!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:56 pm

Hey Rachel, you know from Log-a-run that I've been getting killed by heat the last several weeks also.  The humidity has been so bad I feel like I have fluid in my lungs at the end of a run.  Last 8 miler had 20 minutes worth of breaks!  I look at it this way...hot, humid air has less oxygen, so its like Olympians training at altitude...Right?  When the cool air does come, I feel like I'm supercharged.  My 2nd summer after the heart attack, while training for my 1st half, I thought something was going terribly wrong .  Out of breath, getting slower and taking breaks.  But race day was crisp and cool and I ran much faster than I had or expected to. you'll do great in Detroit and the twin cities, but right now just expect to be out of breath and take breaks, it will pay off.
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:03 am

Good luck today Rachel!!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum