heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Tackling Heart Issues in Athletes - Webchat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tackling Heart Issues in Athletes - Webchat

Post by mikenall on Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:54 pm

I'm guessing it's no coincidence that Cleveland Clinic just announced their new sports cardiology dept. and also just posted this upcoming webchat.

Sports Cardiology - Tackling Heart Issues in Athletes
Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 12 Noon (Eastern Time)

I've posted questions on several of their webchats previously and can think of 6 or 8 I could ask on this one.  I will probably post a least one question but don't think they would appreciate 6 or 8, so if anyone else is interested in questioning them the link to register is:

http://chat.clevelandclinic.org/chatpage.aspx?chatid=1668

The registration process is fairly painless and you can login and post questions well in advance of the actual session.  In fact l would probably recommend that.  If you can't watch the chat as it progresses you can read the transcript later.  I know several of us have posted on these before (I recognized the IDs).

I'll be curious to see what kind of response they get to this subject.  I don't know how many people like us are out there that will respond to this.  Should be interesting.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Re: Tackling Heart Issues in Athletes - Webchat

Post by Bean Counter on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:12 am

I am registered to attend this, but I now have a conflict. Would you be able to summarize your questions and responses?
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:06 am

I don't know if I'll be able to attend this either, but a transcript will be provided at some point after the chat, and I'll make sure I find it and post it. I really don't "think" followup questions can be addressed in this format anyway, so it is just as useful (and probably quicker) to just read it later. I posted 3 questions - one about the dreaded beta blocker... one about pacer lead wires and distance swimming, and one about high fitness levels masking symptoms associated with mitral valve regurg, all personal issues for me. I'll be curious to see if they all get addressed, and what other questions are asked.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks Mike. I'd be interested in responses to each of your questions. Especially swimming with my ICD wires. I want to return to triathlons next year.

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:05 pm

I posted a question and got a response that was similar to what my main cardiologist had told me and I generally believe, but it doesn't match what cardiac rehab told me, or what many people here follow. Interesting that it was also recommended that I follow up with a sports cardiologist. I'm wondering how many sport cardiologists there are in the entire world, and how you go about finding one.

EugeneRunner: I'm a runner who had an MI and a stent. I've received exactly opposite advice from various cardiology professionals about what type of running is okay vs. dangerous. One group says fast running is bad because of the high heart rates, but marathons are fine. Another group says short races are fine, but I shouldn't run marathons because the length of the event causes more heart stress than a sprint at maximum heart rate. Which one is right?

Gordon_Blackburn,_PhD: The higher intensity shorter burst activity has been demonstrated to be safe in post MI patients. Although historically we have shied away from high intensity exercise. With longer distances such as marathons we do see increased stress on the entire body including the heart. Although we do not have conclusive evidence as to long term impact of this we have seen enzyme leaks at the end of marathon races and evidence of myocardial scarring in endurance athletes.
You should follow up with a sports cardiologist to determine your specific situation and what would be best for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by bsegall2 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Thanks for report "EugeneRunner". Like some of the others, I was unable to attend and look forward to receiving the recording.

Back to top Go down

Post by bsegall2 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:31 pm

I obtained a full transcript of the web chat. If anyone would like a copy, please email me at bsegall2@optonline.net.
Regards, Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum