heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Echoguy's Plan to Race #100

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Echoguy's Plan to Race #100

Post by russwyd on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:50 am

Well done yet again Brian - so are you on #96 now?

I ran the Country to Capital 45 mile trail ultra at the weekend, that makes my number #95. I've got a couple of hilly trail marathons in February and March, plus a flatter trail marathon in March, then the South Downs Way (very hilly) 50 miles early April to take me to #99. If all goes to plan, then I'll be running my official #100 at the Grand Union Canal Race on 23/24 May - meaning my #100th will actually be a 145 mile race.
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:43 pm

russwyd wrote:Well done yet again Brian - so are you on #96 now?

I ran the Country to Capital 45 mile trail ultra at the weekend, that makes my number #95. I've got a couple of hilly trail marathons in February and March, plus a flatter trail marathon in March, then the South Downs Way (very hilly) 50 miles early April to take me to #99. If all goes to plan, then I'll be running my official #100 at the Grand Union Canal Race on 23/24 May - meaning my #100th will actually be a 145 mile race.

Yep Russ. I am on #96...and my plan is to run #100 at Jungfrau in September. Stay healthy and you will beat me to #100!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:45 pm

Signed up for marathon #100 this morning. Planning to do a lot of uphill training this summer!!

http://www.jungfrau-marathon.ch/en/marathon-119.html

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:04 pm

NICE!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Very Cool race for #100 Brian!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:21 pm

When are you running #97, #98 and #99 Brian?

I ran the Longman Trail Marathon last week to bring me to my official #96 and I've got the New Forest Trail Marathon in a couple of weeks then the Thames Meander Trail Marathon two weeks later. Probably run the South Downs Way trail 50 miler at the start of April then I'm working toward my #100 at GUCR end of May.
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:45 pm

Hey Russ. Here's the plan

#97 - Asheville Marathon at the Biltmore, March 15
#98 - Go St. Louis Marathon, April 12ish
#99 - Vermont City Marathon, end of May
#100 - Jungfrau - Sept 12

I have been very healthy of late. Looking forward to warmer weather to run...

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

#97 in the bag at Ashville.

Post by echoguy on Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Hey Everybody:

One step closer this weekend with a finish at the Ashville Marathon in North Carolina. Definitely a boutique marathon run at the Biltmore Estate grounds. I planned to run easy, but it was a perfect day to run on a beautiful course, so I decided to go ahead and try for a BQ time...made it by almost three minutes at 3:37:10. Hoping to recover fast and run a little harder in St. Louis in four weeks.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bean Counter on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:16 pm

Awesome job!
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:33 pm

Brian, Brian, Brian...don't you know that you are not allowed to look that happy and fresh after a marathon!!! But congratulations, despite such a faux pas. Don't let it happen again though.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:16 pm

Excellent

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:17 pm

So....this is at the start of the race?!?!?! You look great! Oh - love that shirt! Great job!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:00 am

Amazing durability and endurance - I don't know how you do it! An excellent performance. Congrats!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:01 pm

One more notch on the belt.

Finished marathon and beyond #98 on Sunday at the Go! St Louis Marathon in 3:28:04. I was hoping to dip under 3:24, but could not force myself to suffer for the final 4 miles. I kept my HR up at a reasonable level all of the way to the end. Felt good at the finish line. No problems today and looking forward to #99 in Vermont over Memorial Day.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:49 am

echoguy wrote:

I was hoping to dip under 3:24, but could not force myself to suffer for the final 4 miles.

I suppose one of the benefits of the one-marathon-per-month program is that regret about missed suffering opportunity can be short-lived Rolling Eyes

Well done! I hope you have a tail wind for that last stretch along Lake Champlain when you do #99.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by LMRun on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:38 am

Congratulations on #98, great pace, feeling good at the finish line, can't get any better than that. Cool

23 mm On-X Mechanical Heart Valve
Home Test INR since February, 2008 Smile
LMRun

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:19 am

Fantastic Brian!!!

Does Paul know you're running #99 in Burlington?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:02 pm

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

#99 Vermont City Marathon

Post by echoguy on Thu May 28, 2015 8:52 am

Hey Everybody.

Here's my report from Vermont. #99 in the books.

Race Report – Vermont City Marathon 2015

Background

I’ve been thinking about suffering during the past few weeks. Thinking about how the ability to tolerate suffering is a key part of endurance sports, much like well-developed fine motor skill is a key part of most ball sports. I don’t mean suffering like POWs or martyrs are made to suffer, but “self-inflicted suffering” that requires discipline and tolerance to reach an otherwise unattainable goal. Prior to my heart problems, I feel I was able to tolerate a fairly significant amount of suffering.  Now I find I must be careful when I reach the suffering point to be sure I am not dipping into dangerous territory.

The Vermont City Marathon was the third of three spring marathons for me. The warm up race was the boutique Asheville Marathon in March which I ran in 3:37. The goal race was the Go! St Louis Marathon in April where I limped to the finish in 3:28. VCM was initially planned to be a celebration race. But, since I was a little short of the goal in St. Louis and did not have any injuries, I decided I would shoot for 3:24 in Vermont. That would be the fastest of my post-surgery marathons, but I forgot to check my exact finishing time at the 2013 Grandma’s Marathon prior to the run.  

Vermont City is run annually on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. I also hoped to climb to the top of Mt. Mansfield, the highest point in Vermont, the afternoon of the marathon. The trail leading to the summit opens for the summer on Memorial Day weekend.

I flew in early Saturday afternoon and was met by John who had flown in the day before. We went to the expo, had a late lunch, and checked into the hotel all within a few hours. We stayed at the downtown Hilton which is on the biggest hill at about the mile 15 marker on the course. It is just a few blocks from both the start and the finish so is a great place, although a bit pricey, to stay for this race. They were showing a documentary about the Vermont 100 mile race back at the expo so we went back to see the film and compare it to our experience together at the Mohican 100 seven years ago.  After the movie we decided to drive the last few miles of the course so we drove out to about mile 20 only to find a bike path starting at mile 22. . Good to know…We couldn’t drive it, but it appeared to follow the shore of Lake Champlain so we figured at least those last few miles would be pretty flat.

The weather prediction all week called for around 50 at the start of the race and 70 at noon under partly cloudy skies. I had been able to train some the heat over the past month, but knew my race would depend somewhat on how cloudy those partly cloudy skies ended up. I tried to drink a bit beyond my thirst on Saturday which may have helped, although I had to get up several times Saturday night to pee. We had supper at a great crepe restaurant very near the finish line called The Skinny Pancake. Don’t miss it if you ever visit Burlington.

We left the hotel about 30 minutes prior to the 8 am start of the race and had plenty of time to drop a bag and wonder to our place on the starting line between the 3:15 and 3:30 pacers. I dropped my garbage bag poncho before we ever left the starting line and my gloves came off by mile 3.  Not a good sign when I am not the least bit chilly on the starting line.

The Race

John and I started together as he planned to run under his BQ time which matched my goal of 3:24.
It took us about one minute to hit the start mat after the gun went off and the first hundred yards or so was very crowded, but we made an almost immediate left turn on a very wide street that rapidly eased the congestion. I planned to go out a little slow to warm up and then start hitting splits near 7:45. My 75% heart rate reserve, as best I can calculate, is around 142. I hoped that the pace and heart rate would match up enough to let me run the whole race hard.

West Loop Warm Up – Mile 0-3

Mile 1 – pace 8:11 (ave HR 145)
Mile 2 -  7:28 (144)
Mile 3 – 7:37 (161)

The first section played out very well.  Easy start, maybe a little fast on miles two and three, but not anything of concern. My Garmin HR monitor always seems a bit wonky early into a run. Maybe the electrical system of my heart is sending this message or maybe static electricity or maybe it needs to warm up too. But I did not notice my heart rate jumping around the way this showed.

Beltline Out and Back – Mile 3-9

Mile 4  - 7:30 (145)
Mile 5, 6 – 7:41 (137)
Mile 7 – 7:43 (140)
Mile 8 – 7: 54 (139)
Mile 9 – 8:01 (142)  

This out and back section is an unshaded minor highway that is generally downhill on the way out and thus uphill on the way back. Deanna Kastor was running the relay race and it was fun to see her recognizable running style mixing it up with some of the guys toward the front of the race.  At about the turnaround John needed to take a bathroom break so ventured ahead looking for an open port a let.  When I headed back up the hills I switched my watch settings to show my heart rate and pace and was happy that I did not need to slow significantly on the 150 foot climb. The weather was becoming a factor with sun and heat. I concentrated hard on getting water or Gatorade at just about every aid station and poured a cup of water down my back pretty much every chance I had.

South Loop – Mile 9-16

Mile 10 – 7:31 (138)
Mile 11, 12 – 7:45 (140)  
Mile 13 – 7:41 (140)  
Mile 14 - 7:43 (138)  
Mile 15- 7:51 (138)
Mile 16 – 7:55 (144)

I hit the half marathon split at just a little over 1:42. Clouds had rolled in and it sprinkled a little bit. A small negative split and I would be able to dip under 3:24. For the first time since the race began I started to think the weather may hold well enough to allow me to make it. In the last mile of this section we turned onto Battery Street to face the biggest challenge of the race, Battery Street Hill. It is not a particularly long hill, but is fairly steep with about 150 feet of elevation gain. From about half a mile away I could hear the deep downbeat of a group of drummers.  As I approached the middle of Battery Street Hill the beat of the approximately 20 drummers of the Taiko Drummers pulsed to the extent that it felt like it pushed me up the hill. I had never experienced this in a marathon before, but every marathon with a late hill like this should consider having a big group of drummers come beat out a rhythm.

North Neighborhoods – Mile 16-22

Mile 17 – 7:46 (140)
Mile 18 – 7:34 (142)
Mile 19 – 7:42 (141)  
Mile 20 – 7:50 (142)  
Mile 21 – 7:37 (145)
Mile 22 – 7:39 (144)

This section weaved through neighborhoods north of downtown with lots of small groups of home owners out offering encouragement. Toward the end of this part I noticed that my heart rate was starting to climb and I was starting to feel it.  The suffering had started. Minor suffering at this point, but it made me contemplate just how important that 3:24 was to me. I decided it was important enough to suffer, but not important enough to end up in the medical tent.

Bike Path to Home – Mile 22-26.2

Mile 23 – 7:51 (146)
Mile 24 – 7:50 (146)
Mile 25 – 7:49 (146)
Mile 26.2 – 7:51 (148)

The bike path part of Vermont City is pretty much like the bike path part of about any other marathon with a bike path. Very flat with few turns and lots of trees on both sides. Very little to distract you from the task at hand. I noticed my HR continued to climb while my pace had slowed about 5-10 seconds per mile. I thought again about suffering. I negotiated a deal with myself. I knew that my post op PR was somewhere between 3:24 and 3:25, but was not sure how close to 3:24. I decided that if I reached mile 25 and was still within one minute of the 3:24 pace on my pace band, I would put down whatever hammer I might have left and see if I could get that PR. If I was slower than one minute over 3:24 pace I would coast the last 1.2 and save the major suffering for another day.

I switched my Garmin to show total time rather than heart rate. When I crossed the 25 mile marker I was about 30 seconds over pace…drat. It was time to suffer for another 9 or 10 minutes. I gathered my resolve and tried to go as fast as my legs would allow. I knew that I was not flying, but it sure felt faster than 7:51 pace. I crossed the finish line in 3:24:32 and was greeted by John who had finished about four minutes earlier. My legs were done, but I was very happy the hard effort did not result in any nausea or lightheadedness.

The Climb Up Mt. Mansfield.

The summit of Mt Mansfield is the highest point in Vermont and has several different paths to the top. I decided since we both had run a hard marathon we would take the shortest of those paths which leaves from the top of the Auto Toll Road near Stowe. I had checked ahead and found that they did not allow anyone to start the drive on the road after 4 pm.  We took our time getting showers, grabbing lunch and driving the one hour route to Stowe. When we arrived at the toll gate around 2:50 we found out that we needed to be back past the toll gate on the way out by 5 or the gate would be closed.  That meant we had about 90 minutes to hike. When we arrived at the top of the road 20 minutes later the ranger said that the trip to the summit and back usually takes about three hours. We decided we would head out and turn around in 45 minutes.

Race number two for the day was on. We were not expecting to need to speed hike to the top, but we kept a good pace and our legs never gave us trouble on the way up. We made it to the top in about 40 minutes so we had a little bit of time to snap some photos and then head back down.  The decent gave my quads a little more trouble, but I was very happy that we had packed our trekking poles to ease the pounding down. We arrived back at the car with seconds to spare and made it past the toll gate at exactly 5 pm.

When we got back to the hotel I finally took the time to look up my time from Grandma’s Marathon. 3:24:16. Grrrr. Missed my post op PR by only 16 seconds. Looks like I am going to have to do some more suffering in the future. That’s ok…I’m enjoying the endorphins!!!

Statistics:

Marathon and Beyond #99
Post Op Marathon and Beyond #31
State Marathon #31
State Marathon plus State Highpoint in same day #10

Here's the flickr photos from the weekend.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13545606@N03/sets/72157653505333296

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bean Counter on Thu May 28, 2015 9:24 am

Stellar pacing. I take it your HR typically runs on the "lower end"? I say that because my general aerobic HR range is 140-145 and that is much lower than a lot of my friends. That seems to align with your marathon HR.
Bean Counter

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun May 31, 2015 7:40 am

WOW!!!

Great report and amazing feat!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun May 31, 2015 2:45 pm

Great race, report, and photos Brian!  You are Amazing!!

How can anyone climb a mountain AFTER running a marathon scratch

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:14 pm

Super running!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:22 pm

Brian, we are all so proud of your accomplishments! You are one rugged, determined, tremendously analytical competitor. Have you ever found another individual even attempting to combine two endurance events the way you do?
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:54 am

Hey Gary. I know a few other marathoners who are also doing the high points...just not on the same day. Oh well...less competition for me!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum