heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:19 pm

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Echoguy's Plan to Race #100

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Echoguy's Plan to Race #100

Post by echoguy on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:14 pm

Hey Everybody:

I have really enjoyed Marc's "Upcoming schedule" thread and thought I would post my plans in case anyone would like to join in.

The HEART event moving from October to November unfortunately hit on an "on call" weekend for me, so I will not be at Harrisburg this year. So I am planning to do some local races this fall.

I'm really looking forward to bonding with several HEART runners at the Bourbon Chase in a few weeks. I am sure our relationship will be forever changed...

My marathon and ultra total currently stands at 93 races, so I am hoping to run 7 more, finishing at Jungfrau in Switzerland, by next September. I am also trying to run marathons in different states and hope to hit highpoints in the state on the same day as the marathon.

Here's the plan:

Sept 27 - Grand Lakes Marathon - St Mary's Ohio - and Campbell Hill highpoint.
Oct 26 - Stone Steps 50k - Cincinnati - Martha has given me the ok to run trails again and an ultra to boot. Will be my first ultra since surgery 4.5 years ago. Will have to behave myself.
Dec 20 - Huntington Ultra Frigid Fifty - 50k- Ft Wayne, IN - previously one of my favorite races. Maybe Hoosier Hill after the race.
March 15- Asheville Marathon at the Biltmore Estate - I'll be missing the Heart Mini for this, but it just looks to cool to miss. Also plan to hit Mt Mitchell highpoint.
April 12- Go! St Louis Marathon - plus Taum Sauk highpoint in the spring should be a fun hike.
May 24 - Vermont City Marathon - and maybe Mount Mansfield.
Sept 12 - Jungfrau Marathon - Interlaken, Switzerland --no highpoint on this one.... I'm not quite ready for the North Face of the Eiger!!

The key obviously will be to stay healthy.
I'll keep you posted.....

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Re: Echoguy's Plan to Race #100

Post by Tom price on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Sounds fun!  And don't tell me that Jungfrau is just to run....I know it is home to the Bernese Mountain Dog!  That's no coincidence!   Very Happy
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:52 pm

Tom price wrote:Sounds fun!  And don't tell me that Jungfrau is just to run....I know it is home to the Bernese Mountain Dog!  That's no coincidence!   Very Happy

How do you think that I talked Martha into it??? Also her family is originally from that area of Switzerland!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

echoguy wrote:

Sept 12 - Jungfrau Marathon - Interlaken, Switzerland --no highpoint on this one.... I'm not quite ready for the North Face of the Eiger!!

Have you conquered (or figured out) Alaska yet? Wink

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:48 am

Billcobit wrote:
echoguy wrote:

Have you conquered (or figured out) Alaska yet? Wink

Not yet....that is going to be one of the real challenges!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:24 am

WOW - WOW - WOW!!!

That's a great schedule! Good luck on that ultra - have fun!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Great plan Brian, sounds like some great races coming up for you! I'm on 94 marathons and ultras at the moment - though 'only' 89 count towards the 100 Marathon Club as the others were low-key ultra 'friendlies' like running a full 42 mile relay course while the teams of nine runners did the race! Also, unfortunately my GUCR DNF this year doesn't count, despite the fact I made it through 107 miles and was timed through the 100 miles, as I didn't finish the full event. Either way, it looks like we'll be 'graduating' around the same time next year, which is cool Cool
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 pm

Awesome plan Brian! What a cool way to mix running and great destinations.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:12 pm

russwyd wrote:Great plan Brian, sounds like some great races coming up for you! I'm on 94 marathons and ultras at the moment - though 'only' 89 count towards the 100 Marathon Club as the others were low-key ultra 'friendlies' like running a full 42 mile relay course while the teams of nine runners did the race! Also, unfortunately my GUCR DNF this year doesn't count, despite the fact I made it through 107 miles and was timed through the 100 miles, as I didn't finish the full event. Either way, it looks like we'll be 'graduating' around the same time next year, which is cool Cool

Want to come to Jungfrau next fall and time it to be your 100th too?

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:44 am

Want to come to Jungfrau next fall and time it to be your 100th too?

Would love to Brian, will have to see. Currently planning for 2015 and hoping to run the GUCR again (end of May, 145 miles) and the Leeds Liverpool Canal Race (end of August, 130 miles), with a few other marathons and ultras in the early part of the year. September would be a bit tight after the LLC, but I have always wanted to run that one... Wink
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:42 am

Nice schedule Big Guy...we'll yak about Burlington in KY. Mansfield too (quite the recovery strategy I must say).

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:03 am

#94 is in the books...

Finished the Grand Lake Marathon yesterday in 3:44:11. Ran a pretty significant positive split, but got myself caught up in encouraging another runner who was trying to PR so I stayed with her and did not make my race hurt...at least that is my story.

I fretted about a sore calf for two weeks before the race and worried about hurting myself before the Bourbon Chase. But this was a very flat race and my calf was not an issue at all during or after the race..

Bring on the Bourbon Chase!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Nice one Brian... The race and for helping out another runner who needed some support.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Hey Everybody:

Race #95 is in the books.

I ran the Stone Steps 50k this morning. This is a very hilly trail race here in Cincinnati. For some reason I got it in my head that I could beat my time on the course from 2006.....I was wrong.

The course is a repeating course so you can follow progress of runners very well as they repeat the same loops and compare times on the loops.  In 2006 I ran the course in 6:15 and I don't have the splits, but I remember suffering greatly on the last loop. This was long before I had significant valve problems and was 18 months after I had set my marathon PR.  My goal was to try to maintain a 12 minute per mile pace for the entire race and finish about 6 hours. Sounds easy....right.

Here's my splits.

Long Loop #1 - 58:10, pace 11:39, ave HR 136.  Felt like I hit this one just right, but did not take long enough to rehydrate at the end of the loop.

Short Loop #2 - - 32:46, pace, 10:51, ave HR 137. This was a pretty aggressive loop and I ran pretty hard on the flat sections.

Long Loop #3 - 58:03, pace 11:35, ave HR 135. I started out on this loop very aggressive and really slowed when I hit the big uphills. I also fell more than one time on this loop and that discouraged me a good bit. My back also started to tighten and I started to worry I may be headed for disaster.

Short Loop #4 - 37:18, ave pace 12:25, ave HR 137 - Decided at this point to put the watch away and just finish the thing. I checked my weight and it was down 1.5 kg from the start. Time to start concentrating on rehydrating.

Long loop #5 - 1:14:14, pace 14:37, ave HR 134 - Walked the uphills all the way around on this one. My quads were shot and I was in defense mode all the way.

Short loop #6 - 49:33, pace 16:04, ave HR 126 - Felt like I was crawling on this one, but by the end was feeling a bit better and looking forward to the last big loop.

Long Loop #7 - 1:16:53, pace 12:56, ave HR 128 - I was very happy that I could still run all but the uphills on this loop. Was not moving fast, but at least I was moving and did not have any problems with anything other than quads. And I did not fall in the last few loops.

So...I finished. Nothing to write home about. 6:27...Now recover and look forward to the Flying Monkey (Road) Marathon in one month.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13545606@N03/15638148242/

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Sounds brutal, Brian. Your endurance and durability continue to impress me. Congrats!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:23 am

Wow, that does sound tough Brian!

I couldn't access the photos?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:37 am

Here you go Dave.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:28 pm

Congratulations Brian on another great race!  Your achievements are phenomenal and you inspire so many of us at HEART! You are always smiling! Smile  Love the pic!  The colors are so beautiful, I want my four seasons back!

Back to top Go down

Flying Monkey Marathon, #96

Post by echoguy on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:52 pm

Hey Everybody:

Last weekend I ran the Flying Monkey Marathon in Nashville to inch one race closer to #100.  This race prides itself on being one of the hilliest road marathons in the country and it lives up to it. We were expecting terrible weather, but it turned out to be just gentle rain most of the day with temps in the low 50s. Actually quite good running weather.

Way too many hills to pay much attention to pace, so by the half marathon I was looking only at HR and tried to keep it within a 10 bpm range. That worked out quite well and I finished feeling spent, but not wiped out.  A few minute positive split, which usually means a pretty good race for me. Final time 3:43:51.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Great time on a tough course and you look so fresh at the end! Only 4 more to go. You're too young to retire -- what comes next?

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Well done Brian...Nice pictures too!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:13 am

Great job B!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

great feat...but what about your feet?

Post by Gary E on Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:18 am

I just noticed this thread, Brian. Eight years ago my cardiologist and a subsequent EP both told me to limit my longest distance to the half, so I guess I'll never get past the 83 full and ultra's that I've done. Both you and Russ are too far out of sight anyways, so that gives me an excuse to just cheer you guys on from the sidelines.

My late friend Sy Mah totaled 524, and now it is my understanding that even his unbelievable mark has been eclipsed within the past year. You, however, may set the record for the most "marathon & high point" finishes on same day. Great accomplishment!!!
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:30 pm

I'm going after that marathon and high point record!! I also may be the only person playing that game Very Happy

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:02 pm

Well, no surprise to me...you've always been that "one of a kind" type of guy.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum