heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Dave Tuttle Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Tulip Time 10K – May 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tulip Time 10K – May 4

Post by Rachel August on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Okay, so here I go again….. given that my surgeon and my cardiologist apparently live on different planets from one another, (surgeon says I can run my little heart out, cardiologist says I can run “but it’s not advisable”) …..we’re just not going to call this little event a race.

For those who don’t know, I was training for a half in April (surgeon approved) until I spoke to my cardiologist. I ended up not running the half because I really think it’s in my best interest to live in the moderate zone. I am in fact completely happy with my decision.

So….. I’ll be “running” in the Tulip Time 10K on May 4 - it will be like one of my Saturday morning runs… only with lots of Dutch people!

BTW we really do have Tulips here in Holland (if it stops snowing)!!!

Rachel
Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Re: Tulip Time 10K – May 4

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:20 pm

Rachel August wrote:Okay, so here I go again….. given that my surgeon and my cardiologist apparently live on different planets from one another, (surgeon says I can run my little heart out, cardiologist says I can run “but it’s not advisable”) …..we’re just not going to call this little event a race.

For those who don’t know, I was training for a half in April (surgeon approved) until I spoke to my cardiologist. I ended up not running the half because I really think it’s in my best interest to live in the moderate zone. I am in fact completely happy with my decision.

So….. I’ll be “running” in the Tulip Time 10K on May 4 - it will be like one of my Saturday morning runs… only with lots of Dutch people!

BTW we really do have Tulips here in Holland (if it stops snowing)!!!

Rachel

Rachel, I admire your spirit and I know how much you've been struggling with this decision... It's also very apparent how much your running means to you.

I think if there was ever a time that I thought a second or third opinion was called for it is now for you. It could make all the difference either way it went.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:20 am

I think you're right Dave, a third opinion from someone at a place that specializes in valves would be ideal.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi Rachel

If the Cleveland Clinic is in your insurance provider network, I recommend a visit for a comprehensive check up. Until last fall, I hadn't been there since my surgery, but decided to make the trip for my 10 year checkup. They arranged everything for a one day visit. I had EKG and echo in the morning, then a 1PM consult, which lasted an hour or more between the nurse and the cardiologist-- and they were actually paying attention! The Dr. was intrigued (vs. apalled) by my Ironman events, and at the end of the consult, she decided to have me do a 48 hour holter with instructions to simulate race conditions during the monitoring period. I took an extra sick day from work to ride and run tongue . I got a very thorough follow-up letter from the cardiologist a week or two later, noting some flaky but not alarming heart rhythm observations, and instructions to carry on. I got more interest and attention at that single CC visit then I'd had from 10 prior years of annual check-ups. I really felt like I got a personalized evaluation.

Dr. Deborah Kwon was my cardiologist -- I feel she has an open mind and would consider your individual circumstances if you were to visit her.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi Bill,

I also think CC would be my best option - Dave and Mike also sent me some contacts there as well, so I'm looking into this option.

What a peace of mind you must have after your visit!!!

Last edited by Rachel August on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by kcy1998 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:32 pm

Rachel,
If you do not feel comfortable with your cardiologist then you probably need to find another. Every year since my 5x I have run a local 10K with my doc. He knows that I coach Half Marathoners and run marathons. He is a great guy and I trust him with my heart(life). I know that it makes my bride feel better knowing that my doc and I click. My surgeon was all for me running. A CABG is different than valve issues but you really need to feel good about your medical care.
I attended school in GR and I enjoyed your comment about running with "lots of dutch people". Remember......Do not stop to smell the flowers.
kc

kcy1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks KC - it has been a little frustrating when the two doctors don't agree. I'm looking into other opinions.

I also like your comment about the flowers!!! Very Happy May 4 will not be the time to be doing that!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Rachel...enjoy the race!!!

I agree with the others to check other options for a cardiologist.
He may be right in his opinion, but if not....then you are missing out on what you love to do.

Hope you have a lot of tulips blooming for the race!!!

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun May 05, 2013 6:47 am

Hope all went well......

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: