heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Medtronics Global Heroes 2014

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Medtronics Global Heroes 2014

Post by luckylindy2 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:12 am

Congratulations Brad and Rachel! You are both an inspiration to the medical device world!!

luckylindy2

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:48 am

Well, it's press release day for the 2014 global heroes! I have mixed feelings today, as many of you know, I have job issues with my condition and the cat will be out of the bag today. No one around here has heard of the program, so it might not cause any issues, but I really don't care if it does, the cardiac cripple mold needs to be broken, isn't that a major reason why we do what we do?
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:58 am

BA wrote:Well, it's press release day for the 2014 global heroes! I have mixed feelings today, as many of you know, I have job issues with my condition and the cat will be out of the bag today. No one around here has heard of the program, so it might not cause any issues, but I really don't care if it does, the cardiac cripple mold needs to be broken, isn't that a major reason why we do what we do?

Yeah, I've been thinking about you and this very issue - all the more reason why you are a huge inspiration Brad!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:45 pm

BA wrote:Well, it's press release day for the 2014 global heroes! I have mixed feelings today, as many of you know, I have job issues with my condition and the cat will be out of the bag today. No one around here has heard of the program, so it might not cause any issues, but I really don't care if it does, the cardiac cripple mold needs to be broken, isn't that a major reason why we do what we do?

I hope this doesn't cause you any problems at work Brad and you are so right, the misconceptions need to be put to rest. I think we have made a lot of progress though... 10 or 15 years ago most everyone looked at people like us like we were crazy but now they are recommending supervised high intensity training for many heart patients and promoting the benefits of running for the general population and even those with heart disease. I like to think we've had a role in that even if it is only a Cardiologist here and there talking to a colleague about that patient of theirs that seems to be turning it around so well and I'd bet your Doc has talked about you... What we've been experimenting with for years is now slowly becoming mainstream... I had this conversation with my GP just yesterday as she was telling me how well I'm doing and how huge the benefits of exercise are for everyone including heart patients.

You are probably in better shape than 95% of the people you work with and certainly a lower risk than those who have undiagnosed heart disease and we know there are a lot of them running around.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Hope it's of no consequence, Brad.  I get it though -- I have also been unwilling to come out.  Secret life for me until I no longer need a job Wink.

Last edited by Billcobit on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:37 pm

[quote="BA"]Well, it's press release day for the 2014 global heroes! I have mixed feelings today, as many of you know, I have job issues with my condition and the cat will be out of the bag today. No one around here has heard of the program, so it might not cause any issues, but I really don't care if it does, the cardiac cripple mold needs to be broken, isn't that a major reason why we do what we do?
[/quote]

Yeah, I feel for you. After my OHS back in 91 my career took a downturn. When I quizzed my manager about it he stated flatly. "I can't give you any important tasks now. You might just drop dead on us." I thought he was an A#1 bastard about it, but a couple years later when he retired I found out he was not the source. It was the guy above him and the whole organization that had marked me as damaged goods. I couldn't have hidden it since I had to state the reason for medical leave before I even got to it. I didn't stay with that company much longer.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:01 pm

Do you have the link for the press release?  I did not see it.  My employer knows about my cardiac issues, I made sure my team knows so that if something were to happen at work, they know how to help me.  I wear my medical ID bracelet and some folks have asked me, not afraid to say anything anymore.  My work history speaks for itself.  My team knows I run too, they are amazed when I tell them what I'm doing and prepping for in October.  My department has a department magazine that highlights what each division does every month, they also do two profile articles on employees.  I'm going to ask for an article about me and maybe they'll take me up on it and I'll inspire someone.  Oh, I found out one of the employees in another division has a zipper, he had his surgery a while back, has a St Judes mechanical, we swapped stories.... Smile 

So, don't worry, being a Global Hero is something to be proud of and you are going to have a great run.

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:07 am

Thank you all for the support and encouragement.  This didn't just hit me all of a sudden, I knew it going in and had a long talk with the wife about the consequences and we agreed that this is a great life achievement and the other is a job.  With my family history and 3 young kids, I need to leave a legacy to them that shows they can beat this and possibly avoid or delay the onset of heart disease with a healthy lifestyle and determination.  I hope one day later in their lives, when they face adversity, they can look back and realize that they are made of the same stuff that their goofy old man was and draw strength from that.  

Louise, they delayed the press release until Monday, on the Medtronics Global Heroes website.  After that they will push for local coverage in each runners local area.
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:07 pm

I just found out about these selections. I'm really glad for you two (and now realize that Brad's recommendation must have been a lot better than the one he got last year...from me). I finally gave up trying this year, but hope that Jack and Kevin keep trying as they certainly deserve it.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:07 pm

Nonsense Gary, your recommendation was fantastic, not the case.  

The press release is out today:  http://www.medtronic.com/globalheroes/our_heroes.html
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:37 pm

There are some amazing people in that list and you two belong with them. You are heroes in my book.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Very nice press release and individual write ups... You both totally deserve this honor!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks gentlemen, and definitely feeling very humbled as I read my fellow runner's stories.
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Thank you, we are all heroes though - each one of you had been an inspiration to me! I also agree with Brad, I'm humbled.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by haggis basher on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:46 am

Hi All ye heroes.Enjoyed reading your stories - very uplifting. Have a great time, and keep us in the loop!
Your Pal
Brian

haggis basher

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:38 pm

Between reading the Global Heroes bios and the CA book recently, I'm just amazed by everyone's stories. Often on the forums, the full scope of what each person has gone through doesn't fully come across. I think that is a combination of this being a humble group, and a forum post just capturing a tiny snippet of the full stories. This is just an amazing group, and calling you guys and gals "heroes" is completely accurate.

Reading the Medtronic guidelines and the need for a recommendation reminds me of how little I have given back. After my heart attack, I certainly felt my story was important to tell, and I have have not been shy in the slightest to tell people how being a high stress person and allowing my job to consume me literally almost killed me, in spite of me being a relatively young, healthy, athlete with no family history or other risk factors. I'm aware that my story isn't as dramatic as some, and having a guy who had a heart attack advise you to slow down and enjoy life is such a cliche that I think my message is mostly ignored. Hearing your stories inspires me to do something more - more meaningful and more impactful. Of course I don't know what that would be, but I think it is important to do something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Yeah, I felt the same way after reading all their stories. I felt like such a poser next to what most of these folks went through. All I can say is I've been at it a long time, but my story wasn't nearly as dramatic.

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:29 pm

EugeneRunner wrote:Between reading the Global Heroes bios and the CA book recently, I'm just amazed by everyone's stories.  Often on the forums, the full scope of what each person has gone through doesn't fully come across.  I think that is a combination of this being a humble group, and a forum post just capturing a tiny snippet of the full stories.  This is just an amazing group, and calling you guys and gals "heroes" is completely accurate.

Reading the Medtronic guidelines and the need for a recommendation reminds me of how little I have given back.  After my heart attack, I certainly felt my story was important to tell, and I have have not been shy in the slightest to tell people how being a high stress person and allowing my job to consume me literally almost killed me, in spite of me being a relatively young, healthy, athlete with no family history or other risk factors.  I'm aware that my story isn't as dramatic as some, and having a guy who had a heart attack advise you to slow down and enjoy life is such a cliche that I think my message is mostly ignored.  Hearing your stories inspires me to do something more - more meaningful and more impactful.  Of course I don't know what that would be, but I think it is important to do something.

Very well put Eugine Runner... We all share a very special bond that works so well on the forum but you can't really know the full extent of what someone has actually been through, how it impacted them, or what they're made of until you spend some time with them in person and that is why our gatherings have become so popular. You should consider joining us for one of our weekend gatherings, maybe even Harrisburg in November. You definitely would find an opportunity to give something of yourself but I think we all end up leaving these gatherings with more than what we came with... They truly are an amazing group of friends, each and every one!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:38 am

Well said EugeneRunner, I feel the same way.  I think giving back is a normal part of the process following the survival and conquering of a traumatic event.  I'm at that point now myself and I'm looking to do something on a more personal level.  One idea I have is to make myself available to a local hospital cardiac units to visit survivors, tell them briefly about my story and let them know that life goes on.  I've had every type of volunteer imaginable stop in my hospital rooms, but I sure would have appreciated the words of another survivor in the days following my MI. Lots of details and legal stuff to consider, but a few hours a week could do a lot of good.
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Thayer on Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:50 am

Congrats to Brad, Rachael and Don! Quite the honor to be selected.

Don probably nailed it with the quality of the recommendations prose...I always harken back to high school composition class and "Elements of Style" by Strunk and White as a guide in effective writing. I'm not saying I actually apply those lessons and it's been a few decades since I last perused those pages..but the precepts remain..short and to the point.

I had never considered the 'damaged goods' tag for work or any other life aspect. I know that people at work treated me with kid gloves for a bit..but that wore thin fairly quickly. What management thought of my situation is a mystery..as is most of their perceptions.

I've been 'damaged goods' since I was 15..long story...so it has always been necessary , at least in my warped brain, to prove myself.

My cardiologist(s) were not adverse to my running before or after my procedure. Must have gotten lucky there from what I read here and other venues. I do think the medical field is 'coming around' if only because of the scrutiny from insurance, government and people like us.

I mostly play the age card these days. (My range of motion is not quite what it used to be..typical runner...straight ahead no side to side stuff).

I'm sure this year's participants will do us proud.

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:24 am

As a longstanding Cardiac Athlete and former Global Hero, I'm so pleased that some of our small community have been selected again this year. I only wish I could join you - hopefully I'll be able to get across to run the Twin Cities again one day anyway. I loved the race and the course, and I'd like to do it better justice as I was hampered by injury when I did make it over.

Good luck to you all and remember you have the thoughts and wishes of all of us from around the globe to push you on to the finish!

Russ
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom price on Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:45 pm

If you ever want to run Twin Cities again Russ, I will join you.  I DNF'd the year I was a Global Hero, and need to return and conquer the course.  I thought about this year, but just cannot get in the necessary training.
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:38 pm

I'd been off running altogether with a hamstring and glute problem, developing into an achilles issue too, when I got the call that I'd been confirmed for a GH place in 2011. I had a lot of pretty intense physio where we had to grind out the swelling on the achilles with deep massage, and I'd only had a few weeks (painful) training before flying over to the US. I managed to hobble round in 3:26 but wish I'd been able to do it better justice.
russwyd

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum