heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Medtronics Global Heroes 2014

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Medtronics Global Heroes 2014

Post by Sumorunner on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:53 am

I never got a notification from Medtronics this year. The deadline was supposedly June 6 which has come and gone. Did anyone else get a response one way or the other?

Sumorunner

http://www.MohawkView.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Medtronics Global Heroes 2014

Post by DonSoule on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:29 pm

Just checked the Medtronic Global Heroes facebook page and someone there had a similar comment about not hearing - Medtronic replied that the winners would begin hearing something mid-June so it sounds like they are still picking them. This seems to be a yearly thing - they don't seem to get the notifications done by whatever date they originally say. Good luck Jack!

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:53 pm

Kevin Young applied, he posted back in April. Jack, if you have his number or email, try contacting him.

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:46 pm

I just got an email this afternoon. Rejected again! I just don't get their selection process! That was the 5th time I've applied.

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:38 am

[quote="kyoung"]I just got an email this afternoon. Rejected again! I just don't get their selection process! That was the 5th time I've applied.[/quote]

Me too, so I'm in good company. I've lost count of the no. of times I got turned down. Maybe 5 as well.

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:44 pm

I am so very sorry to hear that Jack and Kevin!!!!

I did make the team this year......and I'm really excited about it - but it does take the fun out of it a little knowing that you both did not make it.

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Sorry you didn't make it in Jack!

Rachel, Congrats!!! You'll represent us well I know. Enjoy the experience, I've heard its awesome.

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:31 pm

Congratulations Rachel! You didn't tell us you applied......Are you running the 10 miler or marathon?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks Kevin and Louise - I really appreciate that!!!!

Louise - I'm doing the 10 miler......I didn't say much about it beforehand....kind of like to keep a low profile and stay pretty much invisible in most situations!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:09 pm

Rachel August wrote:I am so very sorry to hear that Jack and Kevin!!!!

I did make the team this year......and I'm really excited about it - but it does take the fun out of it a little knowing that you both did not make it.

Congratulations Rachel! That is awesome!

Sorry to hear that Jack and Kevin missed out again. I had checked on doing recommendations, but never did find out how to do that this year.

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sumorunner on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:49 am

That's great for you Rachel. You will make a far better ambassador for healthy lifestyles than K.Y. or I. Also, be sure look up our old buddy Don Soule while you're there. He'll be ecstatic to see you've made it.

Sumorunner

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Congratulations Rachel!!!

Sorry to hear Kevin and Jack weren't picked but keep trying guys... Your day is coming!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Hello everyone, Many of you might remember me as "The New Me" on the CA site. I felt very compelled to check in and say a very heart felt thank you to everyone here at this particular time, as I too have been accepted as a global hero this year. In the past, all of you inspired me, helped me through the difficult times and many of you nominated me in past GH selections. There is no way I would be the person who was accepted without you people. I really wish all of us who applied could be there and Kevin and Jack, I'm sorry to hear and don't understand why.

Rachel Congrats!
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:15 pm

Hey Brad, great to hear you've been selected as a Global Hero!! Great to see you here on HEART too... You and Rachel are what GH is all about and I know you'll have a great time!

Do you think you'll be joining us in Harrisburg this year

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:35 pm

Congrats Brad!!!!! Looking forward to catching up with you again!

I also share your sentiment about Kevin and Jack!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Congratulations Brad!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Congratulations Rachel and Brad  cheers 

I hope to make it to the Global Heroes Awards banquet - I went last year and it was very inspiring hearing all the Global Hero stories - Maybe we can sit at a table together? I'll also be running the Marathon but I'm guessing you'll both be doing the 10 mile, at least I know Rachel will. I think that gives you an hour lead on me plus doing the short cut to the Capital, you'll be done well before the winner of the Marathon finishes. If it's a nice day and you decide to hang around maybe we can catch up at the Global Heroes tent after the race too. See you both in October!!  Very Happy 

Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:26 pm

I still don't get why Kevin and Jack keep getting overlooked too   Mad  

- I think we should pool all our Global Hero power and get them in next year!  I don't think you get any points for being the first to apply, so take your time and get your best possible application and recomendations submitted.   I think I didn't get my application and recommendations in until near the entry deadline the year I was selected.   I know at least Jack doesn't want to hear this but I think you need do more than just listing your running accomplishments to get selected since it's fairly competitive and I'm guessing  runners with heart issues make up the largest group of applicants.  I'm also just guessing since I don't know what the selection process really is but my guess is they score all the applicants in some way and then try to select the top applicants based on health issues and geography.  Last year there were more selected from outside the USA than from the USA and spread out those from the USA around the country (so it's good that Jack and Kevin aren't both from the same area of the country).  Then they also go for a variety of implanted devices so I'm guessing it would be easier for someone who runs with a deep brain stimulator to get picked than someone with a pacemaker or heart valve since there is probably less competition for those slots.

My suggestion is that if Jack and Kevin are willing, we form some sort of committee to review their application stories before they send them in and make suggestions on what to include or what to expand on.  One thing I think they look for is some sort of "pay it forward" activity or volunteer work.  Like Rachel with all her great speaking.   Anyway, when I got in (after 3 rejection years of applying) I used the same info I had other years but I had my brother who is a much better writer, review it first and make suggestions - then I picked people I thought were excellent writers do my 3 recommendations.  My brother who could do it from a family perspective (and who I had inspired to start running 5K's) - A friend from an organization I volunteer at (who also had heart challenges) and Brian Nash since he was a former Global Hero and knew me a little from this group.  I provided all 3 with my application story so they could support it from their perspective - I saw what my brother and another friend wrote (I have no idea what Brian wrote) - I'm sure it was the recommendations that made the difference in my case since they were very good and my application story was basically the same as the previous year.  

Someone mentioned this year that they only allowed one recomendation - if that's true, I was thinking we could get the best writer to do the recomendation but quote several others to get multiple recomends into the one.

My suggestion is we form a group (committee) of interested former Global Heroes and others - I don't mean to limit it to just selected "Global Heroes" especially if anyone has a talent for writing winning presentations please help us get Kevin and Jack selected next time!

What do you think Kevin and Jack???   And others??

(Did you hear Medtronics just bought Covidien and will be moving their Corporate Headquartes address to Dublin Ireland (for a lower corporate tax rate) so mabe you can run the Dublin Marathon as a Global Hero someday soon)

Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by haggis basher on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 pm

Congratulation to everyone picked. Sounds like it will be a blast!
Didn't realise anyone could apply - might try next year!

haggis basher

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoung on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Don, thanks for the suggestions and offers to help next year. I didnt submit until towards the end of applications deadline.  This year I had my wife write my story. She was a marketing/Journalism major and writes press releases for work all the time. Tutt was kind enough to write up a very nice recommendation.  I do believe only one was allowed this year.

I did email the selection committee for an explanation on their selection process.  Here is their response.

Dear Kevin

Thank you for your e-mail and we do sincerely appreciate your applying for Global Hero.   The selection process is very extensive as almost 300 applications are received for 25 spots between the 10 mile race and the Marathon which is roughly 10% of all received.   To narrow down the field,  it is important to look at  the physical criteria of having run with a device and also being able to complete a 6 hour marathon or the 10 mile race with time to spare.    Also to be considered is an equal division of spots between men and women, United States and International and device category so it is a balanced selection field.   As you can imagine,  there are a number of remarkable stories including yours.   It is very competitive field and the decisions are not made without much consideration.   

We would encourage you to apply next year! Thank you again for applying for Medtronic Global Heroes.   

Sincerely,

Global Heroes Event Headquarters 

So it appears to be some what of a lottery system with more chance if you choose the 10 miler and live outside the US. Then break into even numbers men and women.  Then probably idividual stories

kyoung

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks everyone!  Looking forward to seeing you there also Don.
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Congratulations Brad and Rachel. When I hear your stories, I don't even want to apply because you folks are so much more deserving that I will ever be. Kudos.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:21 am

Congratulations Brad and Rachel. So great to have some more of our community members represented.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by BA on Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Thanks Bill and Tom!
BA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks so much Bill and Tom for your kind words! BTW Tom - I think you're very deserving!

I'd be more than willing to help out with writing/submitting apps in the future!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum