heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Dave Tuttle Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon - May 10, 2014

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon - May 10, 2014

Post by DonSoule on Thu May 08, 2014 11:17 pm

It's a paved bike trail not a real "trail" Marathon like Russ and others run.  It's looking like a perfect day for a marathon - should be in the 40's & 50's - cloudy with light winds.   Just wished I was trained to run a Marathon  Surprised   -  The first 9 weeks of 2014 I was averaging 60 miles a week - then the hamstring issue happened and my average for the last 9 weeks is 14 miles a week.(plus gained about 15lbs)  So it will be my first long run to start off my training for a September Marathon.  I almost wish the weather was going to be worse  -   It will still be fun but not the race I was hoping for when I signed up.   Very Happy

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Re: Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon - May 10, 2014

Post by RoadKillBill on Fri May 09, 2014 7:30 am

Good Luck, Don!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Fri May 09, 2014 9:12 am

Hope you have fun this weekend Don....you've been through it these past couple weeks - you deserve some fun!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by marathonman60 on Fri May 09, 2014 9:32 am

Do a run/walk. You can go all day.
Tom C

marathonman60

http://www.tom'srunningtoday-blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri May 09, 2014 9:52 am

Good Luck Don and be careful with that Hammy!!!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by kodi30 on Fri May 09, 2014 10:34 am

Good luck Don.

kodi30

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Fri May 09, 2014 7:54 pm

Good luck Don!!! Forget all about time, just spend time on your feet.

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Looking forward to your report Don. Hope you had a great race.

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Tue May 20, 2014 1:01 pm

" />

I'm going with "better late than never" for this race report  Embarassed

It was a fun weekend at the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon - it's not a true "trail" race but a paved bike path with very little elevation change - only a couple of noticeable "hills" and even those aren't anything to worry about.  The most significant up and down hill is in the first mile - after that most inclines are very gradual ones that you hardly notice.  So if anyone likes a "flat" course and doesn't need the crowds of a large race, this is the one to do.  When people hear I've done 43 marathons and ask me what's my favorite one,  I think I'll start telling them its the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon.  So if anyone wants a fast course for a possible BQ you're welcome to come visit me in MN in May and do the Lake Wobegon Trail marathon.  

I went there the day before the race  with a running friend (Phil) who I talked into doing it - we toured parts of the course since he hasn't done this race before- drove the first mile (where the only significant hill is) before we get on the bike trail -  stopped in one of the two small towns the trail runs through and spent some time checking out the finish area.  It was very windy so we hoped the weather forecast (with light winds race morning) hadn't changed.  This one was going to be a little different for Phil since the last Marathon he did was New York with over 50,000 runners - Lake Wobegon had less than 400 registered and the crowd support is almost non existent except for a few family and friends following some of the runners and the volunteers at water stops.   Registration starts at $55 and goes up to a maximum of  $85 the month before the race so a bargain these days.

The race starts in the parking lot of the Holdingford public school so we get to wait inside for the start in a gym and use inside toilets before the start.  I found a few running friends I see at a lot of MN races to talk to briefly - one is a guy I often come in just in front of in marathons who is in my age group.  He was planning to start out slower than I was so I just hoped I wouldn't slow down enough to be passed in the final miles.  He and his brother are "marathon maniacs" and have done the 50 states multiple times so I can count on seeing them at almost every marathon I do.  I think they already did marathons every weekend for the past 3 or 4 weekends.  Then they made some announcements and someone sang the national anthem (very good singer too) before being directed outside to the starting line.  A small truck was just outside the school to take the bags to the finish line.

I had decided to at least start out the race with the 4:30 pacer.  I knew I wouldn't last the whole race at that pace but since I'd only had a 14 mile a week average over the last 9 weeks, no matter how slow I started, I knew I wasn't trained for the distance and would slow with more frequent walk breaks in the second half.  The pace felt very comfortable for the first 10 miles before my slowdown started. I know you're not suppose to "bank time" but in this case, I felt I needed to get as far as I could before my expected drastic slow down.  They do chip timing but don't have a mat at the start as cost savings  -  they do have a wide starting line area and wide enough streets in the first mile so everyone can get sorted out based on their pace before entering the 10 foot wide bike trail.  So even starting near the back, it only took about 10 seconds to cross the starting line.  

I started with a 4 min run / 20 sec walk which allowed me to stay with the 4:30 pacing group only dropping back slightly when I took my sort walk breaks.  I stayed at the back of the group so didn't need to do much of a leap frog game since I didn't drop back that much and didn't pass my group.  The group started out with about 12 runners that stayed together for 4 miles but by mile 5 there were 7 and I stayed with them until mile 10 when I slowed a little.  I decided to keep my 4/20 run/walk to the half marathon point.  I made it to the half point in 2hrs 16mins 20secs so not too far off the 4:30 marathon pace.  Then I switched to a 2 min run / 20 sec walk -  walking twice as often.  I was able to maintain that with slower running and walking to mile 20 which took me 3hrs 40mins 10secs.  I then switched again to a 1min run / 20 sec walk - I still thought I had a chance of coming in under 5hrs but I slowed again and even without a walk break in the final mile came in at 5hrs 22mins 21 secs.

" />

I headed straight for the massage tent for a free massage before they shut down - they had all the pizza and bakery chocolate chip cookies I wanted - my 2 favorite food groups - so I was well rewarded for my efforts.   Very Happy

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Tue May 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Way to go, Blueman!!!  cheers 

Love the pictures....you look like you could keep going another 26!

I sure hope you did not take any of those cookies home with you.  Rolling Eyes 

trishb

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed May 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Nice race Don! After the lost training due to your hamstring injury I'm surprised you were able to do it. Sounds like a really nice event... 400 runners is just the size I like.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Thu May 22, 2014 9:50 am

Great race report Don and I love your pictures!!! So glad to hear that you've done this after so much has happened in your life! You did really well and looks like you had a blast!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum