heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Carmel Marathon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Carmel Marathon

Post by echoguy on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Hey Everybody:

I ran the Carmel (Indiana) Marathon with my buddy Don again this year. We ran this with Jon last year so decided it would be a good backup race in case the Xenia Marathon had bad weather. Our goal was to run under 3:30, and preferably under 3:25 to take us to Boston in April 2014.

13 days ago we ran Xenia... On the starting line the wind didn't seem so bad, but when we turned into the wind at mile 16, we just had too far to go into a 20 mph wind to make our time. We battled to about mile 22, then both hit the wall and limped in.

This morning we knew that we could not possibly be completely recovered from that effort in Xenia, but figured we would give it a try. As it turned out, the weather for this race was nearly perfect and in retrospect wish that we had not worked so hard in Xenia.

I also had a badly bruised foot that I fretted about for the past week. As it turned out, my foot did not give me any trouble at all.

By mile 3 of the race this morning, I knew that this would not be my day. My calves were both very tight and sending messages to my brain about slowing down that I don't usually experience until late in the race. By mile 7 I had decided to drop back a little and let Don continue on the with 3:25 pace group. I didn't slow much, but enough that I lost sight of the pacers. Around mile 12 I decided to start following my HR and see how that went. I was pleased to see that my HR was showing 139, an effort that I should be able to maintain for the entire race (based on my last two all out marathons) So I ran just to keep my HR around that level and by mile 17 I was sad to see Don slowing significantly just ahead of me. When I caught him, we discussed the situation and while neither was hurt, we knew that our chances were slim. By mile 22, the 3:30 pace team passed him and he could not respond, and the BQ effort was over. But....he kept his head up and we continued at reasonable pace all the way to the finish line this time. We finished in 3:39:29ish.

We had a great training season, and I am in my best shape in a number of years. It is just too bad that our results/times for the marathons have not shown that. I plan to jog the Journeys Marathon (wisconsin) in 3 weeks to check off another state and travel to an area that I almost went to high school. Don is going to pace the 5:30 group at the Flying Pig in two weeks, then run hard again at the Mayors Marathon in Alaska.

Here's my garmin splits. I missed several mile markers.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/300727406

Our running group friend Laura ran her first sub 4 marathon today so the day had a bright spot at the finish!!
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Re: Carmel Marathon

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:30 am

Very respectable result Brian! You guys had to be beat from that windy marathon less than 2 weeks ago. You are in top shape... I can't imagine being able to run 2 marathons that close together. Well done!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:43 pm

I get tired just thinking about the miles you put in.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:55 pm

I know how fit and trim you are, Brian. With everything from ultras to multi-stage team races under your belt there is no question you can achieve anything you set your mind to...just allow some time for taper and recovery for a change. You make us proud, fella.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:54 am

Brian,

Sorry you did not BQ - I still think you rock!

Thanks for being a huge inspiration for me.

Rachel

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by trishb on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Wow.....tons of mileage!!!

And great time in my opinion!!!

Well done!!!!
trishb

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: