heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by Gary E Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

» Florence Half Marathon
by jerseyguy Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

by Admin Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

A Summer Adventure?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Summer Adventure?

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue May 13, 2014 7:09 pm

I just talked to Mike Nall on the phone... Mike and Vicki are "in", they're booking a motel near the campground for the weekend.

So now it's; Gary, Rachel and Nate, Bruce, Mike and Vicki, Dave and Diane. There's always room for more!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by bsegall2 on Tue May 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Hello all, Please let me know which motel. I haven't camped in many years.

Looking forward to it,

Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Wed May 14, 2014 11:17 am

Dee and I will probably be there. We may just come for the day so we don't need to board the dog.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed May 14, 2014 4:41 pm

Hey Tom, I'm glad you and Dee can make it!! This is turning into a great group!

We'll all have to decide what we what we want to do before we go...

There are several great short hikes along the west rim of the canyon with amazing scenery and also a moderately challenging 3 mile down and back hike to the bottom of the canyon past a really nice waterfall.

Biking possibilities include secluded winding mountain roads, a beautiful out and back ride on the rail trail at the bottom of the canyon, or biking the entire 20 miles of the canyon on the rail trail with a shuttle to bring us back.

Running in the canyon is fantastic (out and back is probably best) and the mountain roads are great for running too if you like some hills.

What sounds like fun to everyone??

No matter what we decide to do I know we'll be tired at the end of the day and Colton Point campground is a really nice place to relax and enjoy a fire, food, and friends.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Fri May 16, 2014 3:51 pm

We're in for probably Friday, Saturday & Sunday night.  Just have to decide which motel.  No camping for us.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Mon May 19, 2014 7:52 am

Our preferences would be mountain biking on the Pine Creek trail or kayaking down Pine Creek from Wellsboro area. Potential problem with kayaking is that the creek can be very low in August. Here is the link for rentals. http://www.pinecrk.com/boatrentals/boatrentals.html

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon May 19, 2014 5:22 pm

You're right about the water levels that time of year Tom but a good thunderstorm can bring it back up for a couple of days... We'll have 2 kayaks with us if paddling looks like a possibility.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by mikenall on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:33 pm

Just booked the Sherwood Motel about 15 miles away.  I'll probably bring a road bike and a trail bike.  It has a pool for my injured "better half" to lounge around in case she's not up for hiking, etc.

Biotronik Evia DR-T dual chamber pacemaker August 2013
mikenall

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:03 pm

I hope Vicki is feeling up to some of the hikes Mike! We'll help her over the rough spots.

We'll have our hi bred bikes with us... The most challenging terrain we'll see will be the steep dirt roads on the west rim unless you decide to go "off trail". The rail trail in the canyon is crushed limestone and even road bikes can do well on it.

Here are a couple more motel choices. Both are nice and very close to our campground and the canyon:

http://www.thecoachstopinn.com/

http://www.pavisnet.com/coltonpoint/index.html

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:40 am

August is almost here so we should probably firm up our biking and hiking plans a bit...

I suggest we bike the canyon rail trail first and I think it would be worth getting a return shuttle so we don't have to limit ourselves to an out and back ride. If we start at the North end of the canyon at Darling Run and ride to Cedar Run it would be about 23 miles and take 3 to 4 hours with stops along the way to enjoy the scenery. Refreshments are available in Cedar Run and it is a good place to meet our shuttle. We could also shorten this to about 18 miles by stopping at Blackwell if everyone prefers.

http://www.pinecrk.com/shuttles/shuttles.html

Another very scenic ride is along the West Rim Road which is a good dirt surface. This would be an out and back ride of whatever distance we want and would start at Colton Point State Park where we are camping.  

There are several great short hikes that start from the Colton Point area too so there will be plenty of options.

If there is enough water anyone who wants to could paddle the canyon one day too. If there is any interest I would go along to make sure everyone gets through the one stretch of rapids safely. They're not bad in summer and inexperienced paddlers run them all the time at lower water levels but it is best to have someone who knows the stream with you.

There are all sorts of running possibilities too!

Diane and I will be going down on Friday the 8th and will plan to meet up with anyone who is there for dinner someplace close by. At this point I think Mike and Vicki are also going to arrive on Friday... We'll be staying through Sunday.

So when is everyone planning on arriving?

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:35 pm

We'll come over for the day on Saturday. (If we don't stay over, we won't need to board the dog.) We're up for either biking or kayak.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:20 am

I talked to Gary last night and he will be joining us too. Not sure of when he'll arrive but he did say he would bring his bike.

Nice ride Gary!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by bsegall2 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi everyone, I am planning on arriving late on Friday. I just got on the bike this AM after three weeks with a minor injury. Hopefully, I'll be fine. Looking forward.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:51 am

bsegall2 wrote:Hi everyone, I am planning on arriving late on Friday. I just got on the bike this AM after three weeks with a minor injury.  Hopefully, I'll be fine.  Looking forward.

Didn't know you were injured Bruce... I hope you're OK now.

Do you think you'll be in town in time to meet us for dinner Friday?

BTW, we'll be sending out cell numbers to everyone before we meet up and we don't have yours. Can you PM it to me?

Also, for those who haven't been here before. Cell signal is non existent in the canyon and sketchy at best at the top and on the roads around the canyon (texting seems better here). Wellsboro has good signal as does route 6 north of the canyon but don't expect your phone to work anyplace we're hiking, biking, or paddling.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:22 pm

If we do decide on a bike ride, my preference is out and back. I hate spending money on a shuttle when I'm perfectly capable of pedaling. However, I'll go along with whatever the group decides.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:58 am

I can't believe Dave included that old photo. I was only posing with someone else's ride...mine is much older than that one.

I'm hoping to be there Friday evening but don't yet know if Linda will be able to join too. Oh, and I plan on only running, hiking, eating, sleeping, and perhaps kayaking... as I can only expend so much energy with this frail body of mine.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:22 am

I am envious of you all - wish I was joining you.

For any of you who haven't been to the area before, it's a beautiful spot. Dave recommended it to me as a place to visit & pedal on our way to the Corning marathon back in '09, and he generously treated me to a camping/kayaking/biking trip there last summer. Both visits were great.

I hope you enjoy great weather and have a wonderful time!

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:59 am

We wish you could join us too Bill... It was fun last summer.

Gary and anyone else who is there early, we'll be getting to the campground at Colton Point in the early afternoon on Friday so look for us (black Dodge truck with a white camper on it) and maybe we can get a hike in before dinner.

I'll figure out a restaurant where all the Friday arrivals can meet for dinner and will let everyone know... I'll be sending out cell numbers too.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:22 pm

The weather is looking pretty good for our weekend adventure in the Pine Creek Gorge in northern PA... It's just a few short days away but there is still time to get in on this fun weekend... Here is what's on tap for the weekend. Contact me if you're interested and we'll get the rest of the information to you!

This is the area where we'll be biking and hiking and our schedule:

http://www.pinecrk.com/

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=rz625p8x

Friday:

3:00 - 5:00pm. hiking around Colton Point State Park for any who are available. Let me know.

6:00pm Dinner  http://thewellsborohouse.com/    

Saturday:

9:00am Rail Trail bike ride. Meet at Darling Run access point. Meet at the lower larger parking lot. Look for our camper... Out and back ride 2 - 3 hours.

http://www.visittiogapa.com/railtrailmap.pdf

12:00pm Lunch: There is a little road house on the corner of route 6 and Colton Point Road in Ansonia, The Ansonia Valley Inn, It's right on the way back up to where we'll be hiking in the afternoon:

https://local.yahoo.com/info-42212187-ansonia-valley-inn-wellsboro

1:00pm Hiking the canyon west rim... Meet at the main overlook at the entrance to Colton Point State Park.

6:00pm dinner TBD. Vicki and Diane aren't biking so they'll be poking around Wellsboro Saturday morning... Let's see what they come up with for a place to eat Saturday evening. We'll let everyone know.

Sunday:

Early morning run? I know Gary is running each day, anyone else?

Hiking around Colton Point. Time TBD.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:14 am

Sounds great. The weather is looking good.

Is the Darling Run parking area on the 362 side of the creek or is it off Colton Road? It's hard to tell from the maps.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:33 am

Here is what I found.

"Next, you will travel another 3.0 miles and turn right onto 362W. Lastly go another 4.7 miles and you will find the Darling Run Pine Creek Rail Trail parking area on your left."

That sounds like the east side of the creek and we've been there before.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:55 pm

You're right Tom. Darling Run is on the east side of Pine Creek on Route 362. Its about a mile south of the junction with route 6 and marked with a small sign.

See you all this weekend!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Sounds like you all are going to have a blast. Don't forget the pics when you get back.  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Great times in a fabulous location

Post by Gary E on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks for putting this together Dave. Del and I really enjoyed seeing our old friends and getting to meet Bruce for the first time. Although we said our goodbye's right after the hike on Saturday, you will be glad to know that we spent last night right on the very edge of the cliff. It was fantastic seeing that "super moon" completely unobstructed and the river winding by so far, far, below. By morning we were completely blanketed in by the dense fog, but luckily we chose our escape route correctly and weren't observed by the authorities (or found at the bottom of the precipice). I've never been in fog that thick (except the time I took calculus in college) and couldn't believe how damp it can make one's sleeping bag.  Can't wait for a return trip to see more of that canyon...and perhaps even more of all of you (in the figurative sense, of course).
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:55 am

Gary E wrote:Thanks for putting this together Dave. Del and I really enjoyed seeing our old friends and getting to meet Bruce for the first time. Although we said our goodbye's right after the hike on Saturday, you will be glad to know that we spent last night right on the very edge of the cliff. It was fantastic seeing that "super moon" completely unobstructed and the river winding by so far, far, below. By morning we were completely blanketed in by the dense fog, but luckily we chose our escape route correctly and weren't observed by the authorities (or found at the bottom of the precipice). I've never been in fog that thick (except the time I took calculus in college) and couldn't believe how damp it can make one's sleeping bag.  Can't wait for a return trip to see more of that canyon...and perhaps even more of all of you (in the figurative sense, of course).

I'm glad you and Del were able to get out to Barbour Rock to camp for the night Gary. It's an amazing place and so cool that you can actually camp there AND its free!

http://www.pbase.com/cwphoto/image/141542302

http://photos.pennlive.com/photogallery/2012/10/barbour_rock.html

Last edited by Dave Tuttle on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 am; edited 2 times in total

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum