heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Hamstring Strain

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hamstring Strain

Post by DonSoule on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Injury update - Went to a Fairview Sports and Orthopedic Dr on Monday and he said I had a Hamstring Strain or maybe a Tear - he said no running for two weeks and if I didn't get better in 4 weeks he'll do more - CT Scan or Ultrasound (Said MRI at first but since I have a pacemaker that's not an option) to see if it's a significant tear . I'll be seeing a physical therapist too but couldn't get in to one that deals with runners until next week, Anyway my goals for Lake Wobegon have changed - I still plan on doing it but it will be a slower Galloway or first long run getting ready for Grandma's 6 weeks later. The Dr also had a return to running schedule that seemed a bit too conservative for me - it starts out with 2 weeks of walking and then by Lake Wobegon, I'd be up to a 20 min continuous run. Hey, maybe if I do a walk/run and never run continuously for 20 min that would be ok for the marathon?? Anyway I think I have a relatively minor hamstring strain and his plan was for a worst case - It's feeling much better now and if I hadn't seen the Dr I'd be back to training today but I'll at least take the 2 weeks off.

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Re: Hamstring Strain

Post by echoguy on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:49 pm

Good to hear you will be back soon Don!! Hamstrings are a real problem for sprinters, but not so common for us distance runners. I dinged mine doing some sprints a few years ago and found that I could run with it as long as I didn't try to go too fast. It bugged me for a few months though.

I dinged my back a few days ago and may be joining you on the sidelines for a little while. I am giving a half marathon a try tomorrow, then may shut it down for a little bit.

Heal up fast!!!!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadKillBill on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:25 am

I hope both of you guys are back in action soon. Please take care of yourselves, it's way too early in the season to risk a more serious injury requiring extended downtime.

I have stopped all running because of my plantar fasciitis, but I don't miss it like you guys (the silver lining of poor ability), and I have other activities to entertain me.

RoadKillBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:03 am

Sorry to hear about everyone's injuries!!!!!

Hamstrings.....backs.....PF.....oh my!!! I'll have to add myself to the list! I've self diagnosed myself with a mild case of quadricep tendonitis.

It was those damn hills - and my stupidity thinking that I could "run" them after being on the TM 80% of the winter.....then I didn't stop running when I got home. But I haven't run in two days and already I feel better....gonna baby it from now on.

Hope you heal soon Don - only you know best on how far and how much to push it without re-injury - pay CLOSE attention to what your body tells you!

Good luck running your half Brian!!

Bill, wish I had your peace about not running!!!! Maybe I should find some other activities to entertain myself! Does obsessing a lot count.....

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by marathonman60 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:15 am

Don,
Ice 10 minutes, 10 minutes off. Rest, and when you start back it will be sore but tolerable. No PR's for a while.
Tom C

marathonman60

http://www.tom'srunningtoday-blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:12 pm

Oh oh, everyone's coming up injured.

With better weather (well not today) and more running I've been getting into the danger zone for injury too. We all know better but it's been such a rotten winter for running I feel like I need to make up for all the lost miles.

I hope everyone has only short duration injuries and you're back on the road soon... Giving that injury the time it needs now can save you from weeks off later  affraid

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by haggis basher on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:20 am

Hi Don
I had a hamstring problem for most of last year. I rested for a while, but found that if I 'shortened' my stride and kept away from fast work- I was able to keep running.
Like others on this site, I have been out for a 'month' with 'chronic' back pain'
Rachel: I don't think there is any substitute for running!
See Ya
Brian

haggis basher

Back to top Go down

Post by twal on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:12 am

Rest and a foam roller have been the best remedies from my experience.

twal

Back to top Go down

Post by marathonman60 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:30 am

I ran yesterday with my dog. Legs and back felt great, no fitness. I wanted to run 3 miles but everyone stopped us to pet Bailey, so we got 1.6 miles.

marathonman60

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:47 pm

I have been fortunate, no injuries from Cinci and everyday stuff.  I hope you all feel better soon.

I found this online, you just have to laugh out loud!

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:05 pm

Thanks for all the hamstring advice and comments everyone Smile -  It's feeling much better and I'm trying to follow the Dr's and physical therapist instructions - I'm guessing my BQ won't happen this spring so I'm looking for a relatively flat course I can train for in early September just before the 2015 Boston registration happens - any suggestions are welcome.  Right now, I'm thinking about a Sioux Falls SD marathon that happens on September 7th which I think would be in time to qualify for the 2015  Boston Marathon.

Lake Wobegon is 5 Weeks from yesterday and counting     -  Just got my longest run today in 3 weeks since my first mile of the Heart Mini  -  22 mins of running on the treadmill!!!  I did it as a walk run with 3 mins running / 2 min walking per my latest "return to running" plan.   Think I'll be ready for my BQ ???    

I finally had my first physical therapy session Friday and they evaluated me - watched me run on the treadmill etc -  everything looked good for returning to running - they gave me a new "return to running plan" which started out with a 3 min walk/ 2 min Run for 35 minutes which resulted in my 14 mins of running on Saturday. (then today I did the same thing but switched it to 3 min run / 2 walk) She said I could I work my way through the plan much faster as long as I my hamstrings felt good.  They were feeling good so I did the week 2 plan today.  She knows I'm planning on running Lake Wobegon and Grandma's.  

I'll have another distraction from my return to running plan since I'm having Cataract surgery tomorrow morning (Monday, 4/7) in my right eye and then my left eye in 2 weeks.  Has any one had this surgery and if so what were your running restrictions after the surgery???

Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:24 am

Good luck with your surgery Don. The forced time off will probably help the Hammy too.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 am

Good luck with surgery Don - thinking of you!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by marathonman60 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:15 am

Don,
Lakefront Marathon in Milwaukee is a fast course.
My wife had cataract surgery. She doesn't run, but I wouldn't run until I could see good, 2-3 weeks.
Tom C

marathonman60

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks Dave, Rachel and Tom C  - First eye done - next one in two weeks - I asked the Dr about running and he didn't sound too concerned but thought two days off would be good - I asked if I could do 10 by this weekend and he was fine with it so I might try my 10 mile race on Saturday (easy walk/run pace - if the hamstring's still feeling fine).  I know its only been 4 weeks since I've been away from my regular running but it seems like forever (just glad Tom C 's  not my Dr  Very Happy  )

Thanks for the Lakefront Marathon suggestion Tom C,  looks like a good flat race but I'm already signed up for the Twin Cities Marathon on Oct 5th  - I was looking for something before the window for qualifying for the 2015 Boston ends.

Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by haggis basher on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi Don.
Glad your hammy getting better. I had both my eyes done last year, and was 'advised' to do no running for two weeks! I didn't have the second one done till 2 month later. I started walking after 3 days, and built up good stamina by the time I started running.The second one I started running after 12 days, but many long walks in between.
Be careful, give the new 'lens' time to settle.
Good Luck
Brian

haggis basher

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks Brian - I had a next day appointment with my eye Dr and let him know about your 2 week restriction and he still said it only takes a couple of days for it to "settle in" - I mentioned that I was training for a marathon and wanted to get back to running as soon as it was safe but didn't want to do anything that might mess up the eye surgery and he said the jarring of any running wouldn't be a problem, just something pushing against it directly, so I guess that means no boxing for 2 weeks Smile-  I gave him every opportunity to tell me not to run but he said it was ok even in front of a witness (my wife) so I'm going with that (I have to wonder it he's a runner ????).  I'll be running again tomorrow - just slowly due to the hamstring - I'll still be doing a walk/run but adding some distance/time to my runs.  

They gave me a brief eye test with my right eye and said I had 20/20 vision with my new lens - while I waited for the Dr, I did a quick compare of my left and right eye on the eye chart and my right eye had much clearer vision than my glasses assisted left eye.  I get the left one done in less that 2 weeks,  can't wait to be glasses free for the first time since 2nd grade (except for reading)  -  I had them take out the right lens of my glasses so I could wear them for my left eye only.  Was seeing a lot of double on the ride home but today my brain is learning to handle the imbalance much better,  The eye Dr also checked to pressure in my right eye and everything was good.  Very Happy

Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by haggis basher on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:05 pm

Hi Don
Glad to hear things are going well. Yes, different doctors have different ideas about recovery. I had same trouble with glasses; still need them for reading.
My eyesight is wonderful for long distance, like it was when I was 'young' lad!
I had a bad accident in a half marathon a few years ago! I was near the finish; took the wrong turning; took a 'short-cut' to get back on course. Didn't see 3 wires strung chest high, and got flung 'head-first' into the concrete! The outcome - went through finish in ambulance; face badly bruised, massive blood-clot in leg. No running for 6 months!!
Now, i have a great pair of twinkling blue eyes, and 20/20 vision.
Good luck in you racing/training.
Brian

haggis basher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:33 pm

haggis basher wrote: Didn't see 3 wires strung chest high, and got flung 'head-first' into the concrete! The outcome - went through finish in ambulance; face badly bruised, massive blood-clot in leg. No running for 6 months!!
Now, i have a great pair of twinkling blue eyes, and 20/20 vision.

Wow, Brian. That is quite the "running" injury. I've never heard of going through the finish chute in an ambulance!!! A little on the dramatic side, but if you ended up with those "twinkling blue eyes and 20/20 vision", I might just have to look into it myself. Thanks for the tip, you chick-magnet you.
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by haggis basher on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:33 am

Yes Gary, I am fighting the girls off with both hands!
I think the half was about 4.5 years ago, and I was on for 91 mins, with 500m to go!!
I travelled on a 'packed' bus 3 days later, and nobody would sit next to me. I must have looked like a 'derelict'; face all swollen and bruised! Nothing like the 'good old days'.
See Ya
Brian

haggis basher

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum