heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Go Red for Women – my experiences

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Go Red for Women – my experiences

Post by Rachel August on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:20 pm

As many of you already know, I was recruited this year to be the survivor spokeswoman for the West Michigan American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women campaign. As you also know February is heart awareness month – so as this month comes to an end I’ll summarize – or rather chronicle my experiences now. (I apologize for the length)

First, I am so honored that I was chosen to be the spokeswoman, at times it was a tough grueling schedule as I rushed (because in many cases I was called to appear last minute) for another interview – but I gladly rearranged my schedule and drove to where ever in order to tell my story in hopes that it would either promote the AHA events – or maybe just maybe spark someone to get an overdue heart check-up.

Many times my activities left me simply exhausted. Many times my encounters with others who had lost a loved one to heart disease left me in tears. A few times I got the chance to acknowledge the courage and strength of a fellow survivor and I felt extreme joy and awe in their presence.

It was an emotional month for me to say the least.

I am not a public person by any means, I normally keep to myself, I like things quiet (I am a librarian after all) - I rarely invite people over to my house, and I’m in bed sleeping most nights by 7:00pm. Talking about myself so much over this past month left me drained and tired.

But I felt called to give back. West Michigan’s AHA had their big fund-raising luncheon yesterday. It was a tough day for me (mostly because I had to wear heels) – but also because I was speaking to a crowd of 270, some of whom are leaders in our community, some who are very wealthy, all of them were strangers to me.

Right before my talk they showed a few videos of other survivors (the professionally done AHA sponsored videos on YouTube) these are real women and their stories left me very emotional (so I felt a little like an idiot wiping my tears on my big heavy luxurious red table napkin) – then they showed my video (yes, people – strangers even – came to my house to film me) my eyes dried up and I was in “business mode” which is to say that I got myself to a place where I was ready to speak to this crowd - and speak clearly with intention. I made my speech after my video was over and I gave it with my heartfelt gratitude to all who were there.

I wear glasses, but I never wear them when I’m around people because it makes my life so stressful when I can see. So I didn’t know – I couldn’t see people’s reactions. After I had sat down we were called to make a pledge (it was a fund raiser after all) – I heard that some people had pledged in the thousands of dollars. I am not saying that any of this had anything to do with what I said but many people did come up to me afterwards telling me how they couldn’t stop crying when they heard me speak. I heard many people tell me that they were going to see their doctors because “oh my God Rachel – you’re a runner….. and so am I – and if this type of thing could happen to you…..” Many people simply hugged me.

So…..I can tell you that today (as in right now Friday 2/28) I feel so much better and much more relaxed, partly because I don’t have the stress of talking again – but mostly because I was really touched that others found what I had to say useful and moving.....and hopefully to some maybe even lifesaving.

After work today I'm headed out for a 90 minute massage...... and after that I'm locking myself in my house until next week! Thanks for reading if you got this far!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Re: Go Red for Women – my experiences

Post by Tom price on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:31 pm

I started writing a reply several times....but....all I can say is.....NICE!!!  Now relax and let your good work reap rewards...
Tom price

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Super Cool!!! Lives touched and lives changed... It doesn't get any better than that Rachel!!

There is nothing easy about getting up in front of a large group and talking about something as highly personal and emotionally charged as your own heart journey but you do it very well. Thank you for giving so much back.

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:22 pm

Aww, you made me get tears reading your post.  Not everyone can do what you have this past month, well done!  cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks so much for your comments everyone - means a lot to me!!!

Can't wait to see you all in Cinci.....I'm looking forward to having some fun!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:09 pm

Just noticed your record for treadmill running today (11 miles) on the team page for LogaRun! Is there anything you can't do?
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:56 am

Gary E wrote:Just noticed your record for treadmill running today (11 miles) on the team page for LogaRun! Is there anything you can't do?

Thanks Gary - you always make my day!!!! Very Happy 

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by echoguy on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:32 pm

Congrats on a great month!

Cleveland Clinic
echoguy

Back to top Go down

Post by russwyd on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:30 am

Great story Rachel and wonderful to hear how you are motivating others and telling your story to the wider public. Brilliant stuff!

As for being in bed asleep by 7pm, I rarely get home from work until some time later, then I have training to fit in and more work until the early hours... think I should take a leaf out of your book on that one!
russwyd

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum