heartorg
All information contained within this forum is strictly the opinion of the person posting it and should in no way be considered medical advice. You should always consult your health care provider prior to making any changes in your activity level.
By viewing this forum you are agreeing to the following:
I hereby, intending to be legally bound for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights for liability and damages I may have against any officer, agent, employee, or volunteer of H.E.A.R.T. and their representatives, successors, and assigns for any and all injuries or death suffered by me in or arising from my use of the information contained herein.
Link To HEART Web Site
Cleveland Clinic Sports Cardiology
Here
Latest topics
» We Lost A Dear Friend Today
by Gary E Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

» LogARun Leaderboard
by EugeneRunner Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 am

» Linda Evans Memorial Fund and Family Statement
by Dave Tuttle Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:29 am

» Update since ablation
by Gary E Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:00 pm

» Statins Or Not?
by twal Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:16 pm

» PRP injections for tendonosis
by EugeneRunner Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:44 pm

» Swimming for exercise - not competitively
by Gary E Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

» Tell Us About Your Surgery Or Procedure.
by mikenall Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:24 pm

» 2017 Goals and Races?
by jerseyguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

» 2016 Wrapup
by RoadKillBill Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of heartorg on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Longest Mileage Week (mostly copied from my facebook page)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Longest Mileage Week (mostly copied from my facebook page)

Post by DonSoule on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:17 pm

I had a lifetime goal type of running week. I just decided at the end of the week that my week would be worthy of adding to my life goals and then checking it off - that is if I had a lifetime goals list. I'm really only focusing 2 lifetime running goals which are not written down but after reading one of my facebook friend's posts yesterday (who has the same running goal), it made me decide to put them out there: 1. Qualify for the Boston Marathon 2. Run the Boston Marathon - Not exactly a unique goal for a middle of the pack marathoner (or if your old enough like me, end of the pack marathoner)  - I've had this goal since I returned to running Marathons in 2006 so for 8 years. I almost gave up on it when they lowered the standard 5 min and 59 seconds a couple of years ago but now that I'll entering an new age group next fall, I get it all back  I feel that this spring will be my best chance to qualify so I'm making every effort to get ready inspite of our challenging winter. Meredith will tell you that I'm more committed to this goal than anything I've ever done and I'm sure she doesn't know why but neither do I. One example of my commitment to this goal is that I have a sign on my mirror and near the back door that says "160 = BQ" - When I ran Grandma's Marathon last year I was up to about 205 lbs (after being injured most of the winter and not running much) but today, the scale said 166. If I didn't have my BQ goal, the scale wouldn't have said 166.

If you followed my running the past few years, you might have noticed that I was one of those runners who liked to refer to the treadmill as the "dreadmill" and prided myself that I could run outside in any weather no matter how cold, rainy or icy etc. it got in MN, I would find a way to do all my running outside. In 2010, 2011. I averaged over 2,000 miles a year with only a couple of times being forced to run on the "dreadmill" due to blizzard like conditions. In 2012 I joined the "Y" and ended up doing a few more runs on the treadmill, as part of my training for a Tri since I could practice all three sports there one after the other (and since I didn't have a working bike, the stationary bike had to do) - I tried the indoor track at first but injured my knee with all the turns, still I recovered quickly enough for another 2,000+ mile year of mostly outdoor running. 2013 was a different story, I hurt my knee again, and this time the recovery was long and I gained weight etc in the process inspite of my signs. It was my lowest mileage year since 2006 and the least days of running - it was all due to running outside last Feb after a snow storm when I had to run over a snow plow created "hill" at an intersection and landing too hard with my right leg on a sheet of ice, twisting my knee in the process.  It's been a yearlong recovery process - I still managed to run almost as many races as usual but most of them were PW's (Personal Worsts) and I didn't manage a single PR/PB in 2013.  On Saturday I saw many similar snowplow "hills" at intersections but now I'm a convert to T-Mill running as part of my Boston goal - plus I want to attempt to run at a faster pace than I have in the past for my training runs and snow/ice running is not made for faster running. So this winter I'm mostly a T-mill runner (for multiple reasons) but I still like to get out for a long run outside with my ice spikes on occationally.

I had planned to do a 20 mile long run outside on Saturday but Thursday night's snow storm with 10+ inches did a number on our streets - it wasn't the snow, that normally would be cleared from the roads by now but it started out as rain turning to freezing sleet before turning to all wet snow Thursday after noon with blizzard like conditions Thursday evening. Now we're into what the weather guys are calling "Polar Vortex #3" so there is a thick layer of ice on all the roads after the snow was removed that might not go away any time soon. The next 7 days we're suppose to have below zero mornings with -20 to -30 wind chills. Friday night I realized it wouldn't be worth the driving danger to go to my favorite long run location in Minneapolis this morning after driving 2 miles on the ice on an interstate where I was passing everyone while go a max of 40 mph. Also, the paths here aren't cleared enough to be able to do my long run route from my house either so that meant a trip to the "Y" on Saturday for my longest ever T-mill run. To make a long story short, I felt so good at 20 miles that I decided to go for a T-mill Marathon PR - results were that I beat my 2012 Grandma's PR by about 9 minutes! I finished my T-Mill 26.2 miles in 04:10:50 (PS the BQ time I need and I'm hoping for this spring is 4:10)

Ok, if you're still reading, now back to my epic "lifetime goal type of running week" - I ran every day of the week but the highlights are - The week started last Sunday with a 15.1 mile run and the first 13. 1 miles were done in 1:57:15 which is faster than my Half Marathon PR. Then on Tues I ran 10 miles in 1:25:56 which is faster than my 10 mile PR - Then on Wed I ran 15.53 miles in 2:26:04 which although it was at a slower pace than some of my other runs is (you guessed it) faster than the (9) 25K races I've run since 2006 - then on Thurs I ran about 9.5 miles (lowest mileage day of the week) faster than my current 15K PR and I already told you about today's Marathon. Now for the epic "lifetime goal type of running week" -(drum roll please) I did my first ever (and maybe only) 100 mile running week - 100.4 miles to be exact.  I'm just hoping I didn't overdo it by running so many fast training runs in route to my mega mileage total since one of my unstated goals is to make to my spring marathon uninjured.  Wink   

When I confessed to Meredith Saturday afternoon that I just did a (lifetime longest ever) 100+ mile week - she said she was proud of me, but when I mentioned I might get up early Sunday for a run she yelled at me ???? (Or as she said on facebook "I just was being assertive in my response to rest. I know sometimes you can be a little hard of hearing at times or selectively deaf."  She had been telling me all week I need to take a rest day (I didn't tell her about my 100 mile plan - I might have gotten yelled at sooner)- ok I'm fine with that 4 letter word "rest" now, So my mini 14 day running streak came to an end. I know running on a treadmill (especially with mostly a 0 incline) doesn't equal running the same distance outside and that treadmills aren't always accurate on distance and speed but today's run was still a huge confidence builder, and gives me hope that my Boston dreams are possible.

During my 14 day mini running streak, I ran 62.7 miles the first 7 days and the 100.4 miles the second 7 days. The two weeks before that were about 40 and 34 mile weeks.  Guess I broke that 10% rule big time too - oops.

And yes, all 100.4 miles were run on a treadmill.

Last edited by DonSoule on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Re: Longest Mileage Week (mostly copied from my facebook page)

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:51 pm

Don,
Your running has been impressive.  I don't care what anyone says, a TM run is as good as the streets.  I ran an 18 miler on a treadmill and if you aren't watching something on tv or reading something, it's a long time on a TM.  Personally, I think the TM helps with outdoor on the trail or road efforts.  You still have to push yourself on the TM.

You will qualify for Boston!  Just so you know, the Mrs all yell at the better half, it's in our genes!   lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tuttle on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:01 am

Amazing Don!!! Good luck with your quest for BQ!

Dave Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel August on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:47 am

GREAT work Don!!!!

I'm with y'all on this one - the TM has saved me this winter!!!! I've done a few runs in the single digits this winter - but I'm not interested in the cold anymore.....I'm inside until it gets up to the 20's.

Like I keep saying - you guys in MN are a tough breed!!!!

Rachel August

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary E on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:27 am

Congrat's on all of your fantastic accomplishments the past few weeks and especially on the weight-loss progress!!!

I averaged mid 80's to 90 miles per week in my prime...but the one time I tried the century mark, I suffered an injury so I never felt any urgency to try again. However, I've been struggling with weight issues ever since I had to undergo hormone treatment for my cancer three years ago. I know exactly what I should eat, but somehow I don't have the willpower to overcome all the calorie temptations that I used to "merely run off" when I was younger. How were you able to loose so much? Was it diet, food choices, or just ramping up your exercise?
Gary E

Back to top Go down

Post by EugeneRunner on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:03 pm

That is a huge week! And coming off a big week the previous week also. As a coach, I have to say that was a pretty dumb move, but secretly I love it when people do crazy stuff like that!

Back to top Go down

Post by DonSoule on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Thanks, Louise, Rachael, Dave, Gary and Craig !! Your comments mean a lot to me - I just hope all this TM running will translate into some faster real race times outdoors when the ice finally melts and my spring racing starts.  I have a lot of various distances I'll be running in addition to the Marathon (but my target is still the marathon, the others are just speed work / fast training runs)  Smile 

Gary, to answer your weight loss question - it's all three but mostly diet and food choices.  I can average 60+ mile weeks and gain weight if I don't watch what I eat.  I am still struggleing with the last 10 lbs to get down to my 160 goal (not sure I'll make it!)  I was down to 166 on Saturday but by Monday I was back up to 169 (and even higher since then) because I made some bad choices on Saturday and Sunday - it's very easy for me to gain and hard to lose  Mad   -  The thing that works best for me is keeping track of all my calories and setting a daily limit but I've gotten away from that again but that's the main way I've lost weight since last June.  I found a good online site where you can keep track of your meals (it has calories for fast food including McDonald's dollar menu too or you can add them in if it doesn't)  Here's a link to the place I use: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/nutrition.asp  -  If you try this, it can set up goals for you but I overrode them with my own since I thought they were a little generous and don't use the fitness tracker with the nutrition tracker -  If I put my running into it, it tells me I can have way too many calories.  If I ate what it calculates for my calorie allowance with exercise I'd be gaining a lot of weiight!

Pacemaker, January 16, 2009
Boston Scientific, Altrua 60 S602
Fairview Southdale Hospital
Minneapolis, MN
DonSoule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum